Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 12:41 PM

721 posts, read 1,566,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenia98 View Post
I wonder what that will feel like when I get there. Maybe I'll get to a point where I'd be dying to go to the city to hang out with our friends as opposed to dreading it/resenting it. Yikes! I can only hope.
Enjoy it now. Once you have kids that "busy" day you are talking about is a cakewalk in comparison. I don't miss living in the city but I miss working in the city. Now with two young kids even with a reliable sitter, going into the city is a treat and I really look forward to it like you have no idea. Going to dinner at Chipotle is not exactly my idea of a fun night. You have plenty of time for that. It might sound nice now but it gets boring.

As for LI vs. NYC my husband works in the city in IT and he says the same thing about the firms out here. Very rinky dink, low pay. I work freelance from home and that is the worst of both worlds. But I do it for my kids. Personally I wouldn't leave a better paying job unless you have kids. I consider waking up at 6:45 to be sleeping in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 02:25 PM

428 posts, read 969,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Didn't you say you were an accounting manager? And you're worried about the taste of the people sitting around you?
FYI - in the city, we don't get the luxury of having tons of office space to yourself unless you are the partner or president of the firm. I am an accounting manager with three of my assistants sitting crowded all around me all day. Any phone call I make all day is heard by any and all of them. Fun stuff.

So yes, I'm very aware of the people around me at this point - although all I want is some space to work alone and be introverted

Old 06-07-2012, 02:29 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
FYI - in the city, we don't get the luxury of having tons of office space to yourself unless you are the partner or president of the firm. I am an accounting manager with three of my assistants sitting crowded all around me all day. Any phone call I make all day is heard by any and all of them. Fun stuff.

So yes, I'm very aware of the people around me at this point - although all I want is some space to work alone and be introverted
But what aspect of LI offices do you expect to be "tackier" than where you currently reside?

Old 06-07-2012, 02:33 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
Quote:
But what aspect of LI offices do you expect to be "tackier" than where you currently reside?
The hairstyles probably

Old 06-07-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrunner+2 View Post
Enjoy it now. Once you have kids that "busy" day you are talking about is a cakewalk in comparison. I don't miss living in the city but I miss working in the city. Now with two young kids even with a reliable sitter, going into the city is a treat and I really look forward to it like you have no idea. Going to dinner at Chipotle is not exactly my idea of a fun night. You have plenty of time for that. It might sound nice now but it gets boring.

As for LI vs. NYC my husband works in the city in IT and he says the same thing about the firms out here. Very rinky dink, low pay. I work freelance from home and that is the worst of both worlds. But I do it for my kids. Personally I wouldn't leave a better paying job unless you have kids. I consider waking up at 6:45 to be sleeping in.
I wouldn't leave for low pay. Since I'm young and still relatively kicking off my career, I wouldn't have to take much of a pay cut to make the move to L.I.

I hear you about the kids. I understand! I could never stay home, though. I know it must drive you crazy at times, but I understand what's done for the kiddos

I don't come from this craziness, and I don't want it to take a toll on me. I don't want Chipotle as a night out, but I wouldn't mind Ruth's Chris and Grand Lux. That's just the way I am, and I can only be who I really am. I'm not into the nyc hipster Williamsburg crowd. That isn't fun for me. So I need a happier medium.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
I cannot point anything specific out as I've never worked there.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
I cannot point anything specific out as I've never worked there.
So you just assume people on LI are going to be "tackier"?

Ok.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
So you just assume people on LI are going to be "tackier"?

Ok.
No, people have tried to persuade me by saying that in the past. However, I can’t give you specific examples, so I can’t tell you exactly why. I have no idea why they've said that about L.I. offices vs. NYC offices. They say, I’m warning you, L.I. is tacky, it’s not what you’re used to in the city, the people are different, yada yada yada. Obviously, I wouldn’t be posting this if L.I. is tacky.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
No, people have tried to persuade me by saying that in the past. However, I can’t give you specific examples, so I can’t tell you exactly why. I have no idea why they've said that about L.I. offices vs. NYC offices. They say, I’m warning you, L.I. is tacky, it’s not what you’re used to in the city, the people are different, yada yada yada. Obviously, I wouldn’t be posting this if L.I. is tacky.
I think the chicks around you probably watched too much Sex and the City.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:25 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,783,495 times
I work in LI now but I used to work in Midtown for many years. My company (which has offices in every state/continent)transferred me to the Long Island office and its been mecca for me ever since. Commuting is a breeze compared to my commute to Manhattan via LIRR or even by car on the LIE. Almost 2 hours door to door in the morning/evening compared to 30 min - 1 hr now. Salary is actually higher than what I made in the city thanks to removal of NYC taxes from my paycheck, and a major raise at work...but now I save more $$ because I drive a fuel efficient car and no longer pay for LIRR/NYC Subway Metrocards (~$250/month). I average maybe $150/month on gas, and some months even less when I work from home.

The only thing I miss about the city are my lunch time options. I still crave Au Bon Pain, great Chinese or Thai take out places, and really good delis with all sorts of eclectic selections. The closest thing to me are rinky dink delis, fast food chains, and chain restaurants which I find terribly boring. Its also a little weird to drive everywhere. In the city, I was able to hit Duane Reade at lunchtime and get most of my toiletries, hit the ATM and grab lunch and maybe a quick manicure within a 2 block radius of my office. Here, it takes me just 30 min to deal with the traffic to get to Target or WalMart, then another 30 min just to get gas, hit an ATM, etc.

There are pros and cons to each - but I am all for shortening your commute time. It is amazing to be home by 7 pm every night watching Jeopardy instead of waiting for my 2nd train transfer at Jamaica's LIRR station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island