Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2012, 11:25 PM

16 posts, read 72,801 times

Advertisements

I'm single, in my late 20s, and have no children. I've been searching for a legal apartment in Nassau County for a few months now and it's been quite challenging. I am a bit picky, but really I just wanted a studio or 1 bedroom in a safe neighborhood. That said, I didn't expect to have to spend over 1100 on a studio . That's kinda pricey. I realized that I need not even consider the 1 bedroom since they seem to go for 1300 and up. Originally, I didn't wanna spend more than 950, but I've since upped my budget to 1100, not including utilities of course. The main problem is I have no idea where to look anymore. Craigslist is rampant with spam and realtor scams. Newsday lists the same ads over and over so not too many options there. I've driven around the areas that I do like and jotted down numbers but when I call and inquire, they're usually no vacancies. I don't know where else to look and would really like to avoid a realtor fee. I grew up in Clinton hills in Brooklyn and am seriously considering moving back to the city because finding a reasonable apartment on LI is almost impossible. I've lived here for about four years, with relatives, but trying to venture out on my own has me doubting that long island is for me at all plus I'm beginning to miss the heartbeat of the city. I love the surburbia here so much but there is a lacking of that young social scene where u might go outside at 11pm to a lively atmosphere. On the other hand, I have to admit that LI is really clean, quiet and serene compared to most places in the city and I dont want to give that up. I honestly rather not leave but I'm ready to live on my own, being a few years away from 30 and I just can't seem to find anthing out here. Are there any renters on on this board with any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 11:39 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,770,743 times
I'm trying to find a good tenant for my 1 bedroom condo in Queens. I sent you DM with info if the area appeals to you. I have had my ad on Craigslist for 2 months and none of the people that have contacted me are remotely qualified. I think the renters who have excellent credit and great jobs, great references are the ones snagging all the prime apartments...so far, the qualified tenants who have reached out were interested in BUYING my condo instead of renting!

Old 06-08-2012, 08:19 AM

233 posts, read 718,230 times
have you tried the MLS?

There is not too many listings, but I did a search and it listed 85 apartments at 1,300 and under in Nassau County.

The website is MLSLI.com

One of my coworkers found his place on the MLS, but ended up having to pay a broker's fee.

Have you actually tried contacting some of the Craiglist ads? I know that there are a lot of scams and bait-and-switch listings, but I actually found my apartment on Craiglist. Many times, it's a matter of "time is of the essence" with these apartments. For my apartment, the ad was listed at 7:00 p.m. on a Friday. I called the broker at 8:00 p.m., made arrangements to see the place on Saturday morning, and put a deposit on the place immediately.

There seems to be a lack of rentals on LI in general, so you have to be creative and quick.... I think...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinny View Post
I'm single, in my late 20s, and have no children. I've been searching for a legal apartment in Nassau County for a few months now and it's been quite challenging. I am a bit picky, but really I just wanted a studio or 1 bedroom in a safe neighborhood. That said, I didn't expect to have to spend over 1100 on a studio . That's kinda pricey. I realized that I need not even consider the 1 bedroom since they seem to go for 1300 and up. Originally, I didn't wanna spend more than 950, but I've since upped my budget to 1100, not including utilities of course. The main problem is I have no idea where to look anymore. Craigslist is rampant with spam and realtor scams. Newsday lists the same ads over and over so not too many options there. I've driven around the areas that I do like and jotted down numbers but when I call and inquire, they're usually no vacancies. I don't know where else to look and would really like to avoid a realtor fee. I grew up in Clinton hills in Brooklyn and am seriously considering moving back to the city because finding a reasonable apartment on LI is almost impossible. I've lived here for about four years, with relatives, but trying to venture out on my own has me doubting that long island is for me at all plus I'm beginning to miss the heartbeat of the city. I love the surburbia here so much but there is a lacking of that young social scene where u might go outside at 11pm to a lively atmosphere. On the other hand, I have to admit that LI is really clean, quiet and serene compared to most places in the city and I dont want to give that up. I honestly rather not leave but I'm ready to live on my own, being a few years away from 30 and I just can't seem to find anthing out here. Are there any renters on on this board with any suggestions?

Old 06-08-2012, 08:26 AM

179 posts, read 492,615 times
MLSLI.com & HotPads - Map Search for Real Estate, Apartments and Houses for Rent, Foreclosures and Homes for Sale --- i checked those sites practically hourly trying to house hunt. also - check realty sites, they usually have a 'renters' section... but be ready to pay the broker fee.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:29 PM

75 posts, read 226,744 times
I found my apartment on CL back a few years ago when we lived in one -- and it was a one-bedroom for $1050! The owners used CL to list it, so there are some good listings there, although yes, I will certainly say a ton of scammers. It was in Doulgaston, which is Queens but close to the Nassau Border.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:19 PM

12,769 posts, read 18,285,581 times
Are you interested in buying at all? You can get my place for under $1k a month with a 20% downpayment. Send me a message if interested.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:20 PM

12,769 posts, read 18,285,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
I'm trying to find a good tenant for my 1 bedroom condo in Queens. I sent you DM with info if the area appeals to you. I have had my ad on Craigslist for 2 months and none of the people that have contacted me are remotely qualified. I think the renters who have excellent credit and great jobs, great references are the ones snagging all the prime apartments...so far, the qualified tenants who have reached out were interested in BUYING my condo instead of renting!
Send the prospective buyers to me. I'm looking to sell mine only- not rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island