Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 05:12 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,470,736 times

Advertisements

That trailer park across from DMV is notorious as are the surrounding streets. I wouldn't walk around there if you paid me to!! I drove through there one day just to have a look-see.... needless to say, I made sure my car doors were locked and got out of there ASAP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 09:51 PM

706 posts, read 3,763,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
And that is definitely keeping it real!

When I was living in the city, I volunteered at an HIV/AIDS education and counseling center. You wouldn't believe some of the stories I heard from many of the "ladies of the evening" from places like South Jamaica, Hunts Point Market, etc.... All the "rich" white guys from Long Island would come there to pick them up, paying double or triple the price to "party" and 'have sex" with a black or hispanic women. There were also many male transgenders who had a whole slew of white, married, Long Island men who used to visit them on a regular basis to have sex or whatever. One guy I knew had some white guy from Long Island paying for his college tuition, he had another paying for his books, and still another who was paying his rent and other incidentals.

It's funny how "Long Islanders" will talk about how horrible the "inner city" is, but won't think anything of paying a visit to the "ho stroll" or "the spot"
You know about that stuff huh?

*s*

Old 01-23-2008, 09:53 PM

22,187 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
That trailer park across from DMV is notorious as are the surrounding streets. I wouldn't walk around there if you paid me to!! I drove through there one day just to have a look-see.... needless to say, I

made sure my car doors were locked and got out of there ASAP!
Since when are neighborhoods judged by what they " look like" instead of what actually goes on there. I'm not suggesting its a good area, its not, but it is far from the be afraid for your life type of area you are trying to imply.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:10 PM

706 posts, read 3,763,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
That is a really, really broad generalization. What percentage of the male population, on Long Island specifically, do you think actually partake in that behavior? And it's all based on second hand information from prostitutes. It can happen everywhere, not just in Long Island. I'm sure plenty of those men hail from Manhattan proper.

I think that Long Island has obviously left a bad taste in your mouth, and you may not be able to provide an unbiased answer to the OP's question due to that.

I actually take offense to the broad brush you paint "White Long Island Men" with.
Not trying to offend innocent parties.

but it is what it is.

It's not just second-hand info from prostitutes

if you knew South Jamaica, anybody who really knows South Jamaica, knows that wealthy white tricks from LI are very much a part of the culture of South Jamaica.

It's not that I don't like LI, I like some areas. I actually lived in Baldwin and never had a problem there. I also lived in a very nice condo in Great Neck, no problems there. Have close friends in Old Westbury, Manhasset, colleagues in Garden City and also have friends in Valley Stream, Baldwin, Hempstead.

I also lived in St. Albans, Northern Queens Village, Floral Park, all over the Jamaica area, including South Jamaica very, many years ago...still go through there, work there sometimes, jog there.

I grew up in NY and am familiar with many areas.

I'm responding to the constant bashing of Jamaica and South Jamaica in the snobbish tones of folks who seem not to realize that LI isn't anything to be snooty about.

Unless they're living in a considerably high-income area of LI, they're not living any better or more safely than many of the decent to nice areas of the boroughs of NYC.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:17 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,090 times
I have no idea what else I can say, sounds like you're living on a different Long Island than I am. No one is singing the praises of North Amityville, I'm certainly not looking down my nose at South Jamaica either...just trying to be realistic. Like I said before I'd really love to know what folks on the NYC boards think of this ridiculous comparison.

As far as "keeping it real", not that I'm real proud of it, but I had to go to the North Amityville trailer parks a few times to buy cocaine and I'm sitting here typing this to you....unless I had family in the building or something, I don't think I'm walking out of Baisley Park Houses or 40 Projects with my life in a similar situation.

Old 01-24-2008, 04:15 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times
As far as "keeping it real", not that I'm real proud of it, but I had to go to the North Amityville trailer parks a few times to buy cocaine and

ummmm, what did you say?

Old 01-24-2008, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
I have no idea what else I can say, sounds like you're living on a different Long Island than I am. No one is singing the praises of North Amityville, I'm certainly not looking down my nose at South Jamaica either...just trying to be realistic. Like I said before I'd really love to know what folks on the NYC boards think of this ridiculous comparison.

As far as "keeping it real", not that I'm real proud of it, but I had to go to the North Amityville trailer parks a few times to buy cocaine and I'm sitting here typing this to you....unless I had family in the building or something, I don't think I'm walking out of Baisley Park Houses or 40 Projects with my life in a similar situation.

Well, the thing is, people in NYC think Long Island is all pretty and safe and country just like many Long Islanders think NYC is grimy, drug, and crime ridden. And they're both wrong.

Okay.. so you went to the trailer park to buy coke.... and......?????

Old 01-24-2008, 05:51 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,090 times
Nancy - you know what I'm saying, not that it was a life or death issue but that's the place where such things were sold (in addition to many other much nicer places on LI!). I'm sure I'm not the only one on here who did a lot of stupid things in my youth!

omigawd - Point is, at one time I had no problem going into the trailer park alone, at night, with several hundred dollars on me to buy drugs....I would probably poop my pants if you sent me on the same mission at the South Jamaica housing projects, and - maybe I am being a little paranoid here - but I think the chances of NOT getting robbed, killed or otherwise effed up before walking out of those buildings are pretty slim. These are the roughest parts of both respective areas (S. Jamaica & N. Amityville) and side by side you know one of them looks a whole lot better than the other.

I agree with you, NYC folks have a stupid idea about LI, LI folks have a stupid idea about NYC, etc. etc....the more I read this board the more I think LI folks have a stupid idea about the place they live too.

Old 01-25-2008, 04:33 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times
New York City is really beautiful. It is one of the nicest cities in the country. Just take a look at it some day , especially on a Sunday in the fall or spring . There are so many wonderful and unique parts of it , from the narrow streets near Wall Street to the medieval Cloisters on high cliffs carved by glaciers , to Coney Island & Chinatown . There is nothing like it anywhere.

I can not tell you how many people from LI with whom I have spoken who have virtually never been in the city. Ever. It is like a foreign country . You are missing a lot if you never allow yourself to enjoy New York.

Old 01-25-2008, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
New York City is really beautiful. It is one of the nicest cities in the country. Just take a look at it some day , especially on a Sunday in the fall or spring . There are so many wonderful and unique parts of it , from the narrow streets near Wall Street to the medieval Cloisters on high cliffs carved by glaciers , to Coney Island & Chinatown . There is nothing like it anywhere.

I can not tell you how many people from LI with whom I have spoken who have virtually never been in the city. Ever. It is like a foreign country . You are missing a lot if you never allow yourself to enjoy New York.

I absolutely adore NYC.... There is so much to see, learn, and enjoy.

Since moving out here, I've met people who are deathly afraid of NYC. If they ever venture in to see a show (once every 10 years!), they drive, go in an overpriced parking garage, take a CAB to the theatre, and run inside because they're so afraid. RIDICULOUS! I can only chalk it up to country bumpkin ignorance. They won't even give NYC a chance because they just KNOW that NYC is full of "muggers" "pickpockets" "con artists" and "killers"....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island