Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2012, 04:28 PM

7 posts, read 29,489 times

Advertisements

Two yrs. ago,during one of those wind storms we had, two very old and very big trees in front of my house came crashing thru my home. My house needed major renovations. We decided to add in some of our own money, and together with insurance we did a major outside reno. We are empty nesters now-We really wanted to finally make our home match our personality. I put in a lot of time looking for the right colors, the right style rocks, special order doors, country mailbox......--Then had wonderful landscaping thru out. the final product is exactly us--outdoor, country people living in Nassau County. (we have a home in Pennsylvania, but seem to be spending less and less time there). Everyone remarks how nice our house is and it really is us! Now----my problem-- My next door neighbors(people who rarely come outside) have decided to redo the front of their house EXACTLY like mine -same color, rocks(theirs will be vinyl, mine are real), same doors, and even the same mail box. We live on 40 by 100 lots, side by side. When they told me I thought it was a joke, but it is not. What would you do? I already told them I thought it was a bad decision, but that didn't matter. I need to move on from this, but I'm really having a hard time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 04:39 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,328,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyheart View Post
Two yrs. ago,during one of those wind storms we had, two very old and very big trees in front of my house came crashing thru my home. My house needed major renovations. We decided to add in some of our own money, and together with insurance we did a major outside reno. We are empty nesters now-We really wanted to finally make our home match our personality. I put in a lot of time looking for the right colors, the right style rocks, special order doors, country mailbox......--Then had wonderful landscaping thru out. the final product is exactly us--outdoor, country people living in Nassau County. (we have a home in Pennsylvania, but seem to be spending less and less time there). Everyone remarks how nice our house is and it really is us! Now----my problem-- My next door neighbors(people who rarely come outside) have decided to redo the front of their house EXACTLY like mine -same color, rocks(theirs will be vinyl, mine are real), same doors, and even the same mail box. We live on 40 by 100 lots, side by side. When they told me I thought it was a joke, but it is not. What would you do? I already told them I thought it was a bad decision, but that didn't matter. I need to move on from this, but I'm really having a hard time.
Aside from writing a movie of the week horror script (ie. The Roommate), try to find solace in the fact that your landscaping was well thought out to meet your personality, theirs is a fake copycat which they can't begin to understand or appreciate like you do yours.

Also, if they are trying to "keep up with the Joneses" derive satisfaction from the probability you're their "Joneses".

Old 06-15-2012, 04:55 PM

7 posts, read 29,489 times
LIGuy---They will copy the entire front of my house--same color siding, same design. I'm not the type to be the Joneses--I just really want my identity!

Old 06-15-2012, 05:52 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,328,040 times
Quote:
LIGuy---They will copy the entire front of my house--same color siding, same design. I'm not the type to be the Joneses--I just really want my identity!
Too bad one can't copyright landscaping or colour schemes. I know I'd be really peturbed if one of my neighbours copied my house and painted it the same. I wouldn't mind too much if they copied my house and painted it differently. However, I'd love it if everyone copied my landscaping (we're going to "secretly" plant edibles amongst the bushes). Shh. Don't tell anyone. Our defense is those inedible cabbage-like things they plant around parking lots and banks.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:06 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,530,917 times
Quote:

Hate when people do that! Well, look at it this way, you have 2 nice homes in your area that hold/ad value.
I agree, change out the landscaping. Nice low voltage landscaping lights will enhance/change things up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: