Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 05:54 AM

12,769 posts, read 18,312,407 times

Advertisements

If you can't afford to live here, why are u? Do u really want to live in a dump of an area? Those 4 areas are all terrible- if I were you I would re-evaluate your decision. I think you would regret it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 07:33 AM

653 posts, read 1,054,419 times
I am assuming the OP is black/spanish. Fact is, those are heavily minority areas which this forum considers to be dumps and while most of us would not live there not everyone can afford Wantagh or Bellmore....and those folks in those areas can't afford Manhasset or Great Neck.

That being said, I think most of the posters have ranked each town accordingly. You can get a good price on homes in those areas but the taxes in Uniondale, Hempstead are high AND I would agree that the areas are declining (well Hempstead & Roosevelt are already in steep decline, Uniondale was once very nice and still is relatively speaking).

I would avoid Hempstead and Roosevelt at all costs. The school districts are awful and like I said the taxes are way too high if you have to turn around and send your kids to private school. Uniondale Schools are a little better but that's not saying much. I find, in general homes to be kept better in Uniondale & Freeport vs. Hempstead and Roosevelt. Uniondale does make the crime blotter though but again, usually the crimes are committed by people who know each other or are involved in bad activity.

One of the issues you will deal with in these areas is the issue of illegal apts.....drive down the streets at night and it looks like Brooklyn packed with cars as people have carved up their homes and turned them into apts....not the kind of area you want to invest in as you bear the burden of high taxes on a single family home and all of your neighbors have tenants......forget enforcement as its so rampant in those areas.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:07 AM

151 posts, read 366,348 times
The Taxes in Uniondale aren't high at all really, It's Hempstead and Freeport that has sky high taxes because they are Incorporated Villages and have their own Police Dept. As far ads Freeport goes, the area between Atlantic Ave and Merrick Rd from Brookside to Long Beach Ave is also a nice,quiet place to live. Ingraham Estates in Hempstead is also nice. That area goes to Uniondale Schools

Old 06-18-2012, 10:11 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,333,382 times
Its almost as if the posters didn't read the OP. he/she seems to say that they won't be moving to the nice parts of these areas......

I agree with the rankings put in here, However, I do ask, everyone seems to assume you're buying. I would guess you aren't if you don't have a lot of money.

If you are buying, what I would do is rent. for 1, if you don't have a lot of $$, you don't want to spend every last cent buying. for 2, if you don't know the areas and are asking a bunch of strangers online, you should pick 1 to live in first to get the lay of the land and decide if you wnt to stay there or move to another area of the same town or different town.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:27 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,318,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVR1997 View Post
I am assuming the OP is black/spanish. Fact is, those are heavily minority areas which this forum considers to be dumps and while most of us would not live there not everyone can afford Wantagh or Bellmore....and those folks in those areas can't afford Manhasset or Great Neck.

That being said, I think most of the posters have ranked each town accordingly. You can get a good price on homes in those areas but the taxes in Uniondale, Hempstead are high AND I would agree that the areas are declining (well Hempstead & Roosevelt are already in steep decline, Uniondale was once very nice and still is relatively speaking).

I would avoid Hempstead and Roosevelt at all costs. The school districts are awful and like I said the taxes are way too high if you have to turn around and send your kids to private school. Uniondale Schools are a little better but that's not saying much. I find, in general homes to be kept better in Uniondale & Freeport vs. Hempstead and Roosevelt. Uniondale does make the crime blotter though but again, usually the crimes are committed by people who know each other or are involved in bad activity.

One of the issues you will deal with in these areas is the issue of illegal apts.....drive down the streets at night and it looks like Brooklyn packed with cars as people have carved up their homes and turned them into apts....not the kind of area you want to invest in as you bear the burden of high taxes on a single family home and all of your neighbors have tenants......forget enforcement as its so rampant in those areas.

I agree with most of that post but there are some people who live in similar towns as the OP mentioned and who are pretty well-to-do.

I have a relative who lives in a small and plain house in a so-called "less desirable" town and they chose to have a home in a less-expensive area since they like to travel a lot and do a lot of other leisure activities that don't require being at home. Some could afford a "better" town but depending on their lifestyle, it may be unncessary. Think about it, why dump a massive amount of money into a house and taxes when your barely there?

lol, i I know it seems like i'm knitpicking at your post but just thought such people should get recognition.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:32 AM

130 posts, read 383,881 times
It'd really help us if you told us your budget. I'm assuming you're planning on renting, so you should know the rentals you find here aren't all that great. You certainly don't get enough for what you're paying for. Do you want a 1 bedroom or do you not mind living in a studio? Also you need to figure out what you need to be near. Since you're moving from the city, do you work there as well? If you do you'll probably want to be near a train station. These are factors that are very important to consider.

As for the towns, I would rate them like this:
1) Freeport
2) Uniondale
3) Roosevelt
4) Hempstead

Now, if you are hellbent on buying a home rather than renting, your budget for a house could help us a lot. Sometimes you can be surprised by what you may find in other towns. I'm not saying you'll get a home in Muttontown, but you may be able to find something in East Meadow depending on what your budget is as I have found a few great deals in that area.

This is an example:
MLS # 2442809 - 431 Argyle Rd, East Meadow NY, 11554 | Homes.com

While it's not as cheap as a house you may find in Hempstead, it is still relatively cheap for LI and if you can afford it, it would be a good option as opposed to living in Hempstead. As far as I know, the school district for East Meadow isn't too bad in case you do have kids and from my experience most of East Meadow is generally safe but I have been in a few "eh" areas as well. Like someone else mentioned though, most bad areas of LI aren't even bad if you compare them with the rest of the US. I would say Hempstead is the exception of that though.

Also, you need to figure out what your priorities are. Do you need a good school district? Do you need to be close to a train station? You're moving from the city so maybe you still work there?

If you give us more information we would be able to help a bit more.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:20 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,105,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk327 View Post
Its almost as if the posters didn't read the OP. he/she seems to say that they won't be moving to the nice parts of these areas......
The thing is that they haven't specified what their definition of "nice" is, though. If "nice" is an area full of mansions, then that means their budget is likely high enough to get them something decent. If "nice" means that they don't want to hear gunfire on a regular basis, and they don't have enough money for that, then it's a different story.

I guess what it comes down to is that the OP will have to see these areas for themselves and see how they feel. And as another poster mentioned, they should check to see if their budget is high enough for a short sale or foreclosure in another area. And keep in mind that there are different sections within the towns (Freeport is ranked higher than Hempstead, but the best part of Hempstead is better than the worst part of Freeport).

Old 02-25-2014, 11:18 AM

13 posts, read 17,174 times
Well, I'm not the OP, but like the OP, I am relocating from VA to Nassau County on a limited budget. I'm moving for internship at a hospital in Syosset. I am looking for rentals 1k max. I am 29 and single. I can handle a little roughness around the edges, but I prefer a decent area since I don't know anyone here and I have never lived in "the hood". The neighborhoods you guys have listed are helpful. Same for renting v buying? Any other suggestions?

Old 02-25-2014, 06:31 PM

883 posts, read 3,711,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modelingrace View Post
Well, I'm not the OP, but like the OP, I am relocating from VA to Nassau County on a limited budget. I'm moving for internship at a hospital in Syosset. I am looking for rentals 1k max. I am 29 and single. I can handle a little roughness around the edges, but I prefer a decent area since I don't know anyone here and I have never lived in "the hood". The neighborhoods you guys have listed are helpful. Same for renting v buying? Any other suggestions?
You might be better off starting a new post- you might get more responses. I'm curious though- I wonder how Huntington Station compares to the other areas mentioned here? It's not a great area but I bet it's better than the other areas mentioned here. And it's surrounded by very, very nice areas and is close to Syosset. I wonder what others have to say about it.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:26 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,303,961 times
Better off getting a rental in NYC where it may be easier to find a place in a better area, the 'hoods here are pretty bad, you can always take the LIRR to Syosset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island