Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 07:21 PM

68 posts, read 158,412 times

Advertisements

I have a question regarding the LIRR Card, i heard that a monthly LIRR monthly card starts in the beginning of the month and ends in the end of the month right? unlike the city subway monthly card which starts the 30 days from the day you buy it, regardless of the date..

So what happens if i buy a monthly LIRR card in the middle of the month, am i going to get only 15 days out of my card and still pay for the full price of 30 days $230??

and also, with the monthly card, i can use it ANY day right? monday to sunday, correct? or only monday to friday?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 07:31 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,986,772 times
You buy a couple of weekly tickets instead.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:04 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz63 View Post
I have a question regarding the LIRR Card, i heard that a monthly LIRR monthly card starts in the beginning of the month and ends in the end of the month right? unlike the city subway monthly card which starts the 30 days from the day you buy it, regardless of the date..

So what happens if i buy a monthly LIRR card in the middle of the month, am i going to get only 15 days out of my card and still pay for the full price of 30 days $230??

and also, with the monthly card, i can use it ANY day right? monday to sunday, correct? or only monday to friday?

If you start in the middle of the month, you should get two weekly tickets and maybe a couple of dailies. If it turns out you got a monthly ticket at the beginning of the month and only use it for two weeks, then you can turn it in for a refund of the unused portion. (But you need to do it promptly, or you'll lose part of the refund.)

Yes, you can use a monthly ticket as many times as you wish, any time, day or night, seven days/week, several times a day even if you're so inclined .

Old 06-17-2012, 08:09 PM

68 posts, read 158,412 times
But two people cant use the same card right? i mean there must be like a certain amount of time you have to wait after you swipe you card in order to be able to swipe it again right? in the NYC Subway its like 30 minutes i believe. how long is it in the LIRR?

So the first time i buy my LIRR Card i basically need to buy partial cards(weekly,daily) to fill in until the end of the month until i reach the beginning of the next month and then on the first day i will buy a 30 day card right?

Old 06-17-2012, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz63 View Post
But two people cant use the same card right? i mean there must be like a certain amount of time you have to wait after you swipe you card in order to be able to swipe it again right? in the NYC Subway its like 30 minutes i believe. how long is it in the LIRR?

So the first time i buy my LIRR Card i basically need to buy partial cards(weekly,daily) to fill in until the end of the month until i reach the beginning of the next month and then on the first day i will buy a 30 day card right?
Correct!

No, it's for one person only, and the conductor will mark it either "male" or "female". If you decide to automatically get it in the mail, it'll even have your name on it. No "double dipping"

Oh, and there is no "swiping", at least not yet :-)

Old 06-18-2012, 04:55 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Wait how do u prove u didn't use the whole month though? I mean since they don't punch it daily they have no record of how much u used it. Someone mentioned u can get a refund... So can I just buy it on the first, use it for the whole month but just tell them I only used it for a couple weeks? How does this refund thing work? Someone enlighten.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:22 AM

3,515 posts, read 5,696,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Wait how do u prove u didn't use the whole month though? I mean since they don't punch it daily they have no record of how much u used it. Someone mentioned u can get a refund... So can I just buy it on the first, use it for the whole month but just tell them I only used it for a couple weeks? How does this refund thing work? Someone enlighten.
If you mail it back to Jamaica (Queens LIRR HQ) it goes by postmark day. If you turn it in at a station with a ticket office, its the day you turn it in.

Keep in mind that to calcualate the refund the RR uses the highest possible fares including weekends in the calculation. Using this scenario, most monthlies have NO value after the 20th of the month for refund purposes. In fact the 20th is when monthlies for the NEXT month go on sale.

In other words, dont buy a monthly after the 2nd week of the month. thats when you buy weeklies and dailies.

All commutation tickets (weeklies/monthlies) are for use by only one person and will be punched male/female by the conductor.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:25 AM

3,515 posts, read 5,696,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Correct!

No, it's for one person only, and the conductor will mark it either "male" or "female". If you decide to automatically get it in the mail, it'll even have your name on it. No "double dipping"

Oh, and there is no "swiping", at least not yet :-)
Dont confuse the metrocard on the other side of the monthly, thats for the subway in the city and you can buy your monthly with the metrocard portion empty, with $$$s or a monthly pass.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Dont confuse the metrocard on the other side of the monthly, thats for the subway in the city and you can buy your monthly with the metrocard portion empty, with $$$s or a monthly pass.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:25 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
If you mail it back to Jamaica (Queens LIRR HQ) it goes by postmark day. If you turn it in at a station with a ticket office, its the day you turn it in.

Keep in mind that to calcualate the refund the RR uses the highest possible fares including weekends in the calculation. Using this scenario, most monthlies have NO value after the 20th of the month for refund purposes. In fact the 20th is when monthlies for the NEXT month go on sale.

In other words, dont buy a monthly after the 2nd week of the month. thats when you buy weeklies and dailies.

All commutation tickets (weeklies/monthlies) are for use by only one person and will be punched male/female by the conductor.
You can around the more than one person thing though if ur a female and u give it to another female or male gives it to another male. Get it out of the machine and it doesn't have your name or anything on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island