Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 11:30 AM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,413,481 times

Advertisements

I haven't read the entire thread and don't want to get into who was right and who was wrong. The bottom line is that even if you were wrong (which I'm not even sure you were), there's a certain way to go about resolving problems. Your neighbors are miserable, nasty people. I'm sorry your mother is stuck living next to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 12:36 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,990,482 times
I putzed around in the yard on Saturday until I heared the first mower. It was actually right before 8am when a landscaping truck pulled up and went vegan rambo on my neighbors lawn... So, I went about the same to mine.

Then again, I don't live next to Noise Nazi's... Dave actually brings over waffles sometimes. I know. Nice, right?

Old 06-25-2012, 01:36 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
I Live on a busy street and have a neighbor behind me and to the right of me. On the left side is sunrise highway so it's noisy enough. When were were extending our garage it took them 5 days. My contractor kindly went to my next door neighbor the day beofre the start of the job to let them know they would be coming at 8 am to begin and asked if that was ok. My neighbor was fine with it. He's hardly ever home and we see him outside maybe 4 times a year. When he was putting in PVC fencing he asked my husband if it was ok and my husband said it was fine . Now that's how you deal with neighbors. You get more with sugar then you do with vinegar.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:38 PM

344 posts, read 717,866 times
The only way the noise would bother a reasonable adult is if they were trying to sleep. A reasonable, awake adult not trying to sleep will understand that noise is part of living in society, and will ignore the noise the best they can.
Weekends are a reasonable adult's opportunity to get stuff done around the house, because a reasonable, non-lazy adult is working during the week.
A reasonable adult is not still sleeping by 9:00. If they are, they are lazy.
If someone screamed at me for creating noise at 9:00, or 9:45, I would call them lazy.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:00 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zytos View Post
If someone screamed at me for creating noise at 9:00, or 9:45, I would call them lazy.
What if it were someone working routine night shifts and being asleep at 9am was normal? Or are they lazy, too?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Old 06-25-2012, 02:08 PM

31 posts, read 94,047 times
That's not the case with them but I imagine in that circumstance they would not be lazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
What if it were someone working routine night shifts and being asleep at 9am was normal? Or are they lazy, too?

Old 06-25-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereiam25 View Post
That's not the case with them but I imagine in that circumstance they would not be lazy
My point was to assume that everyone in the world follows one schedule is asinine.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:38 PM

414 posts, read 808,798 times
I think the only mistake here was not going to the neighbors to tell them in advance any work was going to be done on a Sunday morning. If that is the only time it could be done, and it was done after the legally allowed time, you should probably explain it to the neighbor and apologize for not making them aware, that is all. I assume from the history an apology wont mean a damn thing to the neighbors, and I would just walk away and then proceed to not think about them any more.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veryangry View Post
I think the only mistake here was not going to the neighbors to tell them in advance any work was going to be done on a Sunday morning. If that is the only time it could be done, and it was done after the legally allowed time, you should probably explain it to the neighbor and apologize for not making them aware, that is all. I assume from the history an apology wont mean a damn thing to the neighbors, and I would just walk away and then proceed to not think about them any more.
Come on, do you really expect someone to go door-to-door explaining that they are doing some work on Sunday?

Old 06-25-2012, 03:50 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,708,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zytos View Post
That's one of the most ignorant posts that I have ever read on this forum. I, like many others, work crazy hours. Also, I, like many others, sometimes stay up late at night with the knowledge that I can sleep 'late' the next day.

I think that anyone who does not stay up until 2:00 am is LAZY (my tongue is firmly in my cheek).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island