Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2012, 08:57 AM

22 posts, read 80,337 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know how long the seller has to vacate the home after the closing? A family member is closing on a house this Friday but will not be given the keys until next Tuesday. The contract states that they have 5 days to vacate after the closing. ]But the contract also says anything after that is $100 per day. Does that mean the seller can stay even longer?[
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 09:09 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,099,795 times
The buyer "can" rent the place back to the seller for a specific amount ($100, in your case) but I would think that by now since closing is so close that should already have been discussed.

Short answer is it must be agreed upon.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:24 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
The buyer "can" rent the place back to the seller for a specific amount ($100, in your case) but I would think that by now since closing is so close that should already have been discussed.

Agree, usually once you get close to the closing, this kind of thing is discussed in detail. We had the same language in our contract; the truth is, we needed one extra day to get out of the house - we could not feasibly close on the house AND be there for the movers all on the same day. So we closed on Thrusday and moved out on Friday, with $1000 in escrow in case there was damage etc. That needs to be worked out amongst the parties before the closing though.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:42 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,230,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Agree, usually once you get close to the closing, this kind of thing is discussed in detail. We had the same language in our contract; the truth is, we needed one extra day to get out of the house - we could not feasibly close on the house AND be there for the movers all on the same day. So we closed on Thrusday and moved out on Friday, with $1000 in escrow in case there was damage etc. That needs to be worked out amongst the parties before the closing though.
^Agree with both but keep in mind that you may possibly run into "we're not ready to leave yet" even if you agree to a specific date. My house was sold by 2 sisters-they inherited their house after their mother died. One lived out on LI and one lived out of state. We had to constantly work around their schedules and they kept putting things off. When it came time to close, they put the date off 3 times. We finally agreed and in the contract we had them agree that the entire house and garage must be completely empty by Friday (we closed the day after Columbus Day). When we did our walk through on Saturday, everything was gone and we got our keys at closing. When my sister bought her house, the seller "needed more time" so my sister agreed on a certain date because she was still in the middle of selling her own house so the timing worked out ok but as the date got closer, the lady was almost trying to stay an extra month lol

Old 06-25-2012, 12:07 PM

1,725 posts, read 4,035,808 times
Both of my purchases allowed three days with a per diem fee after that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island