Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 07:20 PM

9 posts, read 42,220 times

Advertisements

Just saw your post 4 years later and was also trying to remember. To the best of my recollection, the bar was around from say 1968 (when I first went there) to maybe 1971 or 1972; just after that it became Sergeant Pepper's. It was a small bar in what I think was a house on the right side of Cedar Swamp Road (Route 107) just at the intersection of Glen Head Road and a short distance from Glen Cove Road, which headed North to Sea Cliff Avenue and then Glen Cove. As I remember it did not have food or live entertainment and there may have been some pinball or game machines (Space Invaders/PacMan) and some booths. I don't remember an upstairs but just a few yards up Glen Head Road was College Barn; then as you approached the Railroad tracks was Wayside Inn (circa 1969-1971) and further up the road across the tracks(Glenwood Landing Road) was Wooden Ships (later in time, maybe 1976?). I believe the Mug may have been on the Glen Head - Old Brookville border.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 09:46 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,930,023 times
I remember well. Surprisingly....lol.

Cedar Swamp Rd... just at the intersection of Glen Head Road.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:12 AM

23,863 posts, read 32,125,181 times
I remember Sargent Pepper's. I'm form Oyster Bay originally. GC was the "Big City" to us.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:29 AM

530 posts, read 1,336,665 times
I remember the Wayside Inn. Anyone remember the Gold Coast in Glen Cove? All you could drink wine or beer for one admission price, which the lowest I remember was $.75. I think it may have gotten as high as $1.25

Old 06-28-2012, 08:03 PM

Default The Mug, Sergeant Pepper's, Wayside Inn

Does anyone remember any of the details of these bars or when they were in operation or what they are now? One of the older bars in the general area (Locust Valley) was Barney's Corner, which still exists and there was a bar with an outdoor courtyard in Locust Valley in the late 1960's through early 70's but I can't remember the name. How about Back Alley Sally's in Glen Cove and the Good Rats (circa mid 70's maybe). Does anyone remember College Barn in Glen Head or My Father's Place in Roslyn? How about Pub Ivanhoe (over 26 and proper attire,lol) in Glen Cove. Wooden Ships Glenwood Landing or RumRunners in Oyster Bay. How about Mikawa's Japanese Restaurant on Pine Hollow Road in East Norwich, which opened in the late 60's, one of the first real Japanese Restaurants on Long Island I think.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:48 PM

13,034 posts, read 17,902,857 times
Yes I recall and spent a few dollars at My Fathers Place, Rumrunner, Pub Ivanhoe and the MUG. I also recall Timothy Tales.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:02 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,148,703 times
Oh yeah, I remember The Mug.

OBHS Class of '74

Old 06-29-2012, 08:07 PM

Default Timothy Tales

Ah, Timothy Tales; please refresh my memory, where and what was it? It rings a loud bell. NSHS Class of 1969. Also, I believe that the place in Locust Valley where you could eat or drink in a courtyard outside the bar/restaurant was Tavern on the Plaza?

Old 06-29-2012, 08:54 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,930,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by challenger340 View Post
Ah, Timothy Tales; please refresh my memory, where and what was it? It rings a loud bell. NSHS Class of 1969. Also, I believe that the place in Locust Valley where you could eat or drink in a courtyard outside the bar/restaurant was Tavern on the Plaza?
I don't recall Timothy Tales, but Tavern on the Plaza in LV, Yes. NSHS '73 here. Though I'd consider it more of a restaurant than a bar. It was one of our "young ladies who do lunch" venues.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:51 AM

530 posts, read 1,336,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by challenger340 View Post
Does anyone remember any of the details of these bars or when they were in operation or what they are now? One of the older bars in the general area (Locust Valley) was Barney's Corner, which still exists and there was a bar with an outdoor courtyard in Locust Valley in the late 1960's through early 70's but I can't remember the name. How about Back Alley Sally's in Glen Cove and the Good Rats (circa mid 70's maybe). Does anyone remember College Barn in Glen Head or My Father's Place in Roslyn? How about Pub Ivanhoe (over 26 and proper attire,lol) in Glen Cove. Wooden Ships Glenwood Landing or RumRunners in Oyster Bay. How about Mikawa's Japanese Restaurant on Pine Hollow Road in East Norwich, which opened in the late 60's, one of the first real Japanese Restaurants on Long Island I think.
I remember Back Alley Sally's and the Good Rats. The Rats were very popular on the north shore. My Father's Place was awesome. I saw Andy Kaufman there do an amazing Elvis impersonation. Of course, there was also the Oak Beach Inn. How about the Straw Hat in Mineola?
I am Herricks 1969
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island