Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2012, 01:46 PM

65 posts, read 149,821 times

Advertisements

We are looking to buy in Brookville. Some houses are in Jericho SD, some in Locust Valley SD. Those properties that are in Locust Valley sd are cheaper and taxes are less. Please tell me ALL you know about the Locust Valley SD. Is there a reason why one gets more for the buck in LV SD?

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 02:37 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...lp-decide.html

Have to say I've been on CD a few years now I can't say I remember any regular poster who lives in Locust Valley. You might want to check great schools website.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:55 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,991,727 times
Brookville homes: Locust Valley schools vs Jericho schools.....somewhat similar homes in the $1.6M range.... around $2000 difference in taxes.

Locust Valley homes, Locust Valley school district. Also homes in Lattingtown and Matinecock in the SD.

LV has more "entry level" homes than Brookville - where MLS is starting at $999,999 for a teardown.

School districts.

I'm a great believer in education starts at home. I also don't like these school ranking sites. You want to know what they are like? Go to the schools. Talk to the students, talk to their parents. Read the school districts websites. Read the PTA newsletters. What type of environment do you want for your children?

Personally, I like Locust Valley. I don't have to be two hops and a skip from highways. I prefer being as close to the water as budget will allow. I prefer having the most dirt (acreage) under my feet as budget will allow.

Everybody wants/needs something different.

Old 06-30-2012, 04:05 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,165,647 times
I can address LVCSD. Both of my children attended the public schools there K-12. I am also a real estate broker and can address the disparity in prices between homes on the Jericho SD side of the line vs. LVCSD.

Where to begin. LVCSD elementary schools are very good (Brookville kids go to Locust Valley Ann MacArthur and LV Intermediate). The grounds and facilities are well maintained and lovely. Class sizes are reasonable, usually under 25.

The MS is adjoined to the HS, but mostly in a separate wing. The current Principal, Tom Hogan, is a great guy. However, at the MS level, the kids from Bayville and Locust Valley merge and there are some disciplinary issues.

In 2004, Locust Valley HS bought the International Baccalaureate program(me). My son had graduated in 2001, but my daughter was in 10th Grade at the time. With the advent of IB, LVHS eliminated all Honors and Advanced Placement (AP) courses in 11th and 12th Grade. I am probably the most vocal critic of International Baccalaureate in the entire country. If you would like to learn more about my objections, please visit my website www.truthaboutib.com.

Jericho had looked into IB years ago and rejected it. Jericho stuck with AP and has the highest acceptance rate to the Ivies of any public HS on the Island. (around 15%). Most years, Jericho has approx. 52% of every graduating class as AP Scholars.

The tax difference is minimal. LVCSD spends approx. $37,000 per student while Jericho spends approx $38,500.

The other thing about LVCSD, don't know if this affects you in any way, is a very small Jewish population as there are no temples in the district.

Most of the very wealthy who live in the LVCSD section of the Brookvilles, Mill Neck, Matinecock, Lattingtown, etc ..... send their kids to private school.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:53 AM

24,120 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcutiew View Post
We are looking to buy in Brookville. Some houses are in Jericho SD, some in Locust Valley SD. Those properties that are in Locust Valley sd are cheaper and taxes are less. Please tell me ALL you know about the Locust Valley SD. Is there a reason why one gets more for the buck in LV SD?

Thanks so much!
Not sure of the reason but they are both fantastic school districts.

They are competitive with an emphasis on college preparation. Public prep schools if you will.

They are very different districts, ethnically and socially. Actually, and this may sound counter intuitive, LV is more diverse because Bayville attends there and there are still the descendants of estate workers who live in Locust Valley.

If you want more info, send me a DM.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:55 PM

65 posts, read 149,821 times
Very informative answers. Thank you so much! I will stick to Jericho SD

Old 07-14-2012, 06:14 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,165,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcutiew View Post
Very informative answers. Thank you so much! I will stick to Jericho SD
Smart move.

Just so you know, there are also sections of Muttontown and Old Westbury that fall within the Jericho SD (15).

Old 08-24-2012, 07:57 AM

1,101 posts, read 2,735,423 times
Let me just add that, while Brookville is a great area and the Jericho school district is excellent, moving closer to Locust Valley, i.e., a place like Lattingtown, offers much more for the kids. As others have pointed out, the LV school district is also excellent, but moving further north from Brookville will offer the kids proximity to beaches and other recreational activities, and more of a sense of community than one might find in Brookville. Lattingtown, for example, shares the Glen Cove Golf Course with that city, and there's a nice clubhouse and restaurant, an 18-hole course on the water, driving range and tennis courts. Lattingtown has its own private village beach and the nearby Lattingtown Harbor community has an 1800-foot private beach and beach house on LI Sound, as well as a number of kids in the community. In the winter, the Glen Cove Y offers a great indoor pool and a host of activities.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from Brookville-Jericho if that's what you want. I'm just saying the kids are likely to get a well-rounded, more enjoyable and more memorable experience living closer to the water.

Both areas are pretty much the same when it comes to convenience, so why not go for the most amenities with the same prestige and prices?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island