Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2012, 10:54 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,171,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h-tonian View Post
I personally would not consider Miller Place and many of the other Suffolk communities discussed in this thread to be upper-middle-class communities either when compared with Nassau, Western Suffolk, and the East End. I suppose mid-Suffolk should be held to a different metric though.

Looking at the Town of Huntington, I would say most people consider Huntington proper to be middle-class, areas like West Hills to be somewhat upper-middle, CSH to be upper-middle to wealthy, and Lloyd Harbor to be wealthy.

Comparatively, the middle-class Huntington CDP comfortable beats Miller Place in per capita income ($55,975 to $40,604 ), median household income ($110,988 to $107,774), and average home value ($631,700 to $467,500). West Hills (which is a pretty laid-back, casual, unpretentious community) blows MP out of the water. There is really no comparison between MP with CSH and Lloyd Harbor (whose numbers, for some reason, are not available on the census website).

(Numbers to the left are locality average. Numbers to right are NYS average)
Wow, youre right Miller Place is awful.
Thanks for clearing that up.

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 07-03-2012 at 11:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 11:06 PM

Quote:
According to the 2010 census, Bohemia's median household income beats Rocky Point by nearly 11k. Per capita income beats it by more than 5k. Average house value beats it by nearly 100k. RP has more than 3x the amount of people living in poverty. Not insignificant amounts.

(numbers to the left are the locality average. Numbers to the right are NYS average)

These stats place Rocky Point below the average income (both MHI and PCI) and median housing value in Suffolk, making its as position as "middle class" in Suffolk County precarious.

Comparably, in terms of income, RP is closer to Huntington Station than Bohemia. RP slightly edges out HS in income (PCI by 2.5k and MHI by 5.5k), although HS has higher medium home values.
Thats it I'm selling and moving to Huntington Station.
You've convinced me.

; )

Crooks

Old 07-04-2012, 06:40 AM

342 posts, read 1,094,095 times
@H-tonian - Would you please post the 2010 Census information for Mt. Sinai and Port Jeff? Or provide the link for the source info? I'm curious and I think the data you showed puts each town in good perspective. Thanks!

Old 07-04-2012, 06:58 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,328,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
Looking at Long Island (Nassau/Suffolk) I'd say Per Capita income greater than $40,000. I prefer to use per capita as it evens out the $$$ across different sized households.

The lows on the Island - the usual suspects: Roosevelt, Hempstead, etc. are in the teens. The highs: Sands Point, Matinecock in the upper $90,000's.

Middle ground the upper 20's and 30's per capita - in which most communities are found.
'Per capita' is meaningless and used by the US Census Bureau to distract us from actual wealth distribution in the U.S. (maybe not intentionally but that's the end result).

For example, if 80% of the population is poor you give them very detailed statistics about themselves, over which they'll scrutinize intently and draw distinctions with little difference compared to the actual, total wealth.

And if very general and ambiguous statistics are given about the other 20%, over which there's little insight to gain by studying, few, if any, do.

The result is the poorer 80% redefine themselves on a scale in which the top is undefined and out of sight but the middle is placed among themselves.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergarden View Post
@H-tonian - Would you please post the 2010 Census information for Mt. Sinai and Port Jeff? Or provide the link for the source info? I'm curious and I think the data you showed puts each town in good perspective. Thanks!

Id be interested as well.
When I looked at MP and MS it was about the same per C-D.

What I'm still unclear on is how the cost of ones housing becomes an asset and not a liability?
I hope if we learned anything form the Bush years is that our homes are not ATM machines.

Im also a little confused how MS and MP would be downscale in comparison to Sea Cliff when it has a higher HHI. I was of the impression that HHI was the more accurate indicator in terms of demographics and not Per Capita?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Household_Income

"Average household incomes need not map directly to measures of an individual's earnings such as per capita income as numbers of people sharing households and numbers of income earners per household can vary significantly between regions and over time".

I'm just simple country folk but I'm fairly certain that if we mapped out the concentration of dual income vs single income familes it would be lean heavily to the west by virtue of taxes/commuting/child care costs and necessity.

I still stand by my statements that both Miller Place and Mount Sinai are great choices for Upper Middle and Unpretentious. The Huntington area has just shown how Unpretentious it is by its broad and condemning swipe on Central Suffolk.

Crooks

Old 07-04-2012, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuy1202 View Post
'Per capita' is meaningless and used by the US Census Bureau to distract us from actual wealth distribution in the U.S. (maybe not intentionally but that's the end result).

For example, if 80% of the population is poor you give them very detailed statistics about themselves, over which they'll scrutinize intently and draw distinctions with little difference compared to the actual, total wealth.

And if very general and ambiguous statistics are given about the other 20%, over which there's little insight to gain by studying, few, if any, do.

The result is the poorer 80% redefine themselves on a scale in which the top is undefined and out of sight but the middle is placed among themselves.
Interesting.

Crooks

Old 07-04-2012, 07:28 AM

325 posts, read 737,288 times
Quote:
All the stats can be found here: New York QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

As I said, Lloyd Harbor's numbers are missing for some reason so I'm curious to see if any other communities are not listed.

As with Miller Place, Mount Sinai is about on-par with middle-class Huntington CDP in terms of MHI, but has significantly lower PCI and home values.

Quote:
Mount Sinai CDP

Median value of owner-occupied housing units, 2006-2010 $484,200 $303,900
Households, 2006-2010 3,841 7,205,740
Persons per household, 2006-2010 3.03 2.59
Per capita money income in past 12 months (2010 dollars) 2006-2010 $45,247 $30,948
Median household income 2006-2010 $111,069 $55,603
Persons below poverty level, percent, 2006-2010 1.9% 14.2%

Old 07-04-2012, 07:41 AM

Quote:
All the stats can be found here: New York QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

As I said, Lloyd Harbor's numbers are missing for some reason so I'm curious to see if any other communities are not listed.

As with Miller Place, Mount Sinai is about on-par with middle-class Huntington CDP in terms of MHI, but has significantly lower PCI and home values.
Wheres Walter?

They most likely lumped LH in with Huntington or one of the surrounds which would skew the numbers greatly.

I assume the same would happen with Belle Terre in Port Jefferson.

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 07-04-2012 at 07:54 AM..

Old 07-04-2012, 07:44 AM

342 posts, read 1,094,095 times
Thanks H-tonian!

Old 07-04-2012, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Thanks H-tonian!

You're too polite.

Crooks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island