Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2012, 08:50 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times

Advertisements

Somebody mentioned that it could be the Google StreetView team, but I'm 99% sure they just drive by in a car with a camera on top. They wouldn't stop to take pictures.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 09:44 AM

764 posts, read 1,552,977 times
Is it possible your house is still listed for sale somewhere?

Old 07-05-2012, 11:04 AM

322 posts, read 937,209 times
That happened to a couple of people I know. Some may be appraisers. Others may want to see what your house consists of so they can negotiate a price on a similar house or a house in the same neighborhood. And there are others who like certain design aspects and would like to incorporate it into their homes.

Unless they are driving by late at night, I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:09 PM

185 posts, read 457,422 times
when i used to work as an appraiser i used to have to take 4 pictures of each comp. 1 face on, 1 across the street, and one in each direction down the road. I would have people ask me what I'm doing. Just gave them my business card and moved on.

Old 10-19-2013, 03:28 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,888,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I don't know your situation , but I think that happens to people on workmen's disability to see if they really should be receiving it.

I didn't see where big mike said anything about disability. I would have a talk with those following and photographing me.

Old 10-19-2013, 03:54 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,141,532 times
Could be a coven of witches checking out a vortex on the property.

Old 10-19-2013, 03:59 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,528,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruhkus View Post
I recently bought a house in East Meadow back in February. Since then, I have happened to look outside of my window twice to see two different cars passing by and taking pictures of my house from their car. Today, my wife lets me know that a Prius (one of the two cars I saw was a Prius as well) took a picture of the house again today. They didn't take any pictures of any other houses on the block.

I had initially assumed it was maybe something that Nassau County is doing, but it's odd that we have seen them take pictures three times. Who knows how many other times someone has drove by and took pictures of the place.

My wife is freaking out a bit, but I don't know what to make of this. It is a bit odd, but, does anyone know why this could be?
Very simple answer. R.E. Appraiser using your house as a sales comp. Nothing to worry about. Totally legal.

Old 10-19-2013, 04:38 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,810,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
It's possible that it was an appraiser (or more than one, for different sales) looking at/for comparables.
If the house has not been sold in a while, the town appraiser may have seen it come through as a sale and decided to find out if s/he will be able to up the appraised value.

Old 10-19-2013, 06:26 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,724,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deliz View Post
Very odd. Call Nassau county if your concerned. Have there been robberies in the area? Thieves will case houses. Or perhaps the Previous owners had issues. Chat it up with the neighbors. That's freaky and I'd be upset too
Absurd.

First, to break into a home to commit a crime is called BURGLARY, not robbery. If they were going to commit a "robbery" or a home invasion, they certainly wouldn't be sitting around outside taking photos.

Second, theives don't take photos when "casing a house". They typically watch (from a far distance) the comings/goings of the residents and nearby neighbors to get an idea of the best time to break in.

The most likely reason people are taking photos are for RE comps (as had been said several times already)

Old 01-14-2014, 03:11 PM

1 posts, read 3,229 times
I own a field service company and all I do is drive by properties all day to determine occupancy for the mortgage company. Typically it is because people are behind on their mortgage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island