Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 09:50 PM

240 posts, read 1,057,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
My youngest is young enough not to know how to tiptoe around an issue -- she is straight to the point. We're all straight shooters around here, I don't BS my kids, and I don't attempt to put on an act. I won't even consider trying to BS my own parents -- if I don't like something, they know about it. If the emperor is wearing no clothes, we're going to tell him.

My in-laws have lived here for what feels like eons; several of their children remained here as well. As for the WMHS alum whom I know and who've stayed here, 2 are cops, 1 is a SAHM, several are attorneys, 1 works in industrial sales, several are builders and contractors, 1 is a landscaper, 1 a local florist, 2 are tree guys, 1 a teacher, 1 a landscaper, a bar owner, a property maintenance company owner, a roofer -- quite the mix of personalities and career paths. The alums who have moved away (again only those I know) moved to relocate for careers, military or met a spouse from out of state and moved there.

DH grew up south of 25A, not surrounded by the Richie Richboys. I don't know when you graduated (I see you mentioned your 20 year reunion) but perhaps things were different in the early-mid 70's when DH graduated as opposed to when you did?

Despite our seeing this from opposite sides of the issue, we both have the same desire in our hearts -- to see our children happy and successful in whatever they pursue in life. I believe our parents felt much the same way.

My family is from Setauket and it is not the snobby place it is cracked up to be. Sure those living in the Three Village Club, Strongs Neck, Old Field and new Poquott may have a lot of money, but there are still very modest neighborhoods like Strathmore, South Setauket, The Mushroom houses (as my dad calls them) Nassakeage Ridge(sp) and the neighborhood my dad grew up in, the Storybook Section off Pond Path. Your husband may have even graduated with my dad in '77, or my uncle in '74. My point is that yes, there is money in the Three Villages, but there is also a wide spectrum of income levels to a point where anyone could fit in there.

Last edited by Keeper; 10-04-2007 at 07:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 09:57 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,677,396 times
[quote=rockypointny;1646836]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
My youngest is young enough not to know how to tiptoe around an issue -- she is straight to the point. We're all straight shooters around here, I don't BS my kids, and I don't attempt to put on an act. I won't even consider trying to BS my own parents -- if I don't like something, they know about it. If the emperor is wearing no clothes, we're going to tell him.

My in-laws have lived here for what feels like eons; several of their children remained here as well. As for the WMHS alum whom I know and who've stayed here, 2 are cops, 1 is a SAHM, several are attorneys, 1 works in industrial sales, several are builders and contractors, 1 is a landscaper, 1 a local florist, 2 are tree guys, 1 a teacher, 1 a landscaper, a bar owner, a property maintenance company owner, a roofer -- quite the mix of personalities and career paths. The alums who have moved away (again only those I know) moved to relocate for careers, military or met a spouse from out of state and moved there.

DH grew up south of 25A, not surrounded by the Richie Richboys. I don't know when you graduated (I see you mentioned your 20 year reunion) but perhaps things were different in the early-mid 70's when DH graduated as opposed to when you did?

Despite our seeing this from opposite sides of the issue, we both have the same desire in our hearts -- to see our children happy and successful in whatever they pursue in life. I believe our parents felt much the same way.

[/QUOTE

My family is from Setauket and it is not the snobby place it is cracked up to be. Sure those living in the Three Village Club, Strongs Neck, Old Field and new Poquott may have a lot of money, but there are still very modest neighborhoods like Strathmore, South Setauket, The Mushroom houses (as my dad calls them) Nassakeage Ridge(sp) and the neighborhood my dad grew up in, the Storybook Section off Pond Path. Your husband may have even graduated with my dad in '77, or my uncle in '74. My point is that yes, there is money in the Three Villages, but there is also a wide spectrum of income levels to a point where anyone could fit in there.
Hmmmmmm
Yet he chose to raise his kids in Rocky Point.
Interesting....why?

I forgot abouth the Mushroom houses off Old Town ...there are some low end homes in the district, but by and large its a fairly affluent community.

C

Old 10-03-2007, 10:09 PM

[quote=clamboy;1646893]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockypointny View Post

Hmmmmmm
Interesting....why?

I forgot abouth the Mushroom houses off Old Town ...there are some low end homes in the district, but by and large its a fairly affluent community.

C
This is why. My parents had our house built when they were fairly young in 1987. They first looked in Sachem (Lake Grove) where my mom's family was from, and couldn't find any land on which to build. My dad's parents wanted to give them the house in Setauket and my grandparents would build an apartment for themselves off of it. My parents wanted to be independent so they set off looking for property to build a new house for themselves. They finally came across a piece of property in Rocky Point where they could affordably build a house. They have now lived in this house for 20 years. We were seriously considering buying my grandparents' house in Setauket when my grandpa passed away in 2001, because my parents really wanted me and my brother in Three Village Schools. However, one thing lead to another, and they decided to sell the house and split the profit with my uncle, a mere $279,000 at the time (yes they are kicking themselves). They used the money to add onto and renovate our house here in RP. Our house is beautiful now, but In hindsight, they wished they would have moved to Setauket, (the house would be worth close to 600k with renovations).

Last edited by rockypointny; 10-03-2007 at 11:04 PM..

Old 10-03-2007, 10:37 PM

[quote=clamboy;1646893]
Quote:

Hmmmmmm
Interesting....why?

C

LOL in case anyone was wondering "Mushroom House" Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage - Real Estate Company It just screams CENTEREACH

Old 10-04-2007, 05:10 AM

1,876 posts, read 2,677,396 times
[quote=rockypointny;1646985]
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post

This is why. My parents had our house built when they were fairly young in 1987. They first looked in Sachem (Lake Grove) where my mom's family was from, and couldn't find any land on which to build. My dad's parents wanted to give them the house in Setauket and my grandparents would build an apartment for themselves off of it. My parents wanted to be independent so they set off looking for property to build a new house for themselves. They finally came across a piece of property in Rocky Point where they could affordably build a house. They have now lived in this house for 20 years. We were seriously considering buying my grandparents' house in Setauket when my grandpa passed away in 2001, because my parents really wanted me and my brother in Three Village Schools. However, one thing lead to another, and they decided to sell the house and split the profit with my uncle, a mere $279,000 at the time (yes they are kicking themselves). They used the money to add onto and renovate our house here in RP. Our house is beautiful now, but In hindsight, they wished they would have moved to Setauket, (the house would be worth close to 600k with renovations).
That wouldve been a hell of a profit in Setauket.
Im sure they did well if they built in Rocky Point in 87 too.(We tripled our money since 2000)
I'm glad we passed on buying our parents house in Stony Brook (Strathmores just ok)

I think as far as this argument goes,if you cant afford to be North Of 25a in 3v, why be the poor kid?

It sounds like they made the right move to RP...seems their kids turned out well.

: )

C

Last edited by clamboy; 10-04-2007 at 05:20 AM..

Old 10-04-2007, 10:02 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
Thats funny, my Mom thought the same "Im a straight shooter, my kids tell me everything" thing too.
My sister and I laugh about it all the time.

Anyway we grew up on the mean streets of Stony Brook back in the 80s : )
(yes Strathmore)

I suspect the door was closing when GenX kids tried to buy homes there in the 90s because all my friends are LONG gone.
What a difference 10 years can make.

As for WMHS..No big surprise that the Cops could afford to stay..Contratactors and landscapers have some very creative accountants but whats a SAHM?

Youre right about our kids and parents though...we will definitely agree there.
Thanks for giving me a giggle about the mean streets of Strathmore. A 'friend' from another news board just moved to the S section from Port Jeff Station/Terryville area. She was having problems with 'new' neighbors who were living 10-15 men to a house, problems with the schools and special services her children required. She's happier now. (For anyone in that area -- that represents her opinion, not mine. I am not familiar with the area and thus will not inject my opinion.)

SAHM = Stay at home mother. We're a rare breed in this day and age.

As for straight shooters -- my son (currently WMHS) will tell me, "Yes your butt looks big in those jeans!" much to my chagrin, but it's the truth, sad to say. He has come to me with issues ranging from smoking (pot and cigs) as well as sex and dating. I think I had to have done something right somewhere. Yes, inside I cringe when I hear what's going on, but I rather him be open and honest as opposed to being sneaky. Pass the Tylenol, please.

It seems that the 10 year span has made a big difference -- but you're happy with your 'new' hometown and that's what is most important. I lived in RP from 91-96 but was in a part of town that had a lot of small houses which were rentals; that diminished the sense of neighborhood in the immediate proximity. Overall, I was very happy in RP, but the house I rented was tiny! DH and I wanted to move; he wanted to move back to SB (which I fell in love with as a SUNY student) so back we came.

School districts (RP vs 3V) never came into play; my son wasn't of school age yet, but I would have had no issue with him starting in either district.

But back to the intent of the thread Working class income in upper middle class school district: I might be a 'tween' If we had remained in RP, my children would be on the wealthier end of the spectrum; here my children are on the average end. I keep them grounded, don't give in to waahh wahhh wants and I needs I needs. The children will be products of their upraising, not their 'district' environment.

Kids are going to tease other children -- no matter what district they are in, what their income level is or who they know.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:06 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,848,202 times
We are in NC and hoped to escapesome of the materialism of LI. We are in a development that ranges from postoffice workers/ nurses/ to business people/doctors. We sought out that economic diversity. On the whole people are less image concious here but we do have people who are avid consumers. There have been some issues among the kids about certain kids who seem to have lots more "stuff"... so... what I am saying is that you will never escape that problem entirely.
HHH has some less expensive areas... almost all school districts do. I would go for it, & move to the better district, trusting you will find like minded people.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:17 AM

Quote:
"Mushroom houses" Love it! I have to remember that one

You are dead on about some of the snooty places you mentioned -- especially the Three Village Club and new Poquott. The 3VC people are mostly city transplants who have no idea that it is not 'prestigious' to live in a gated community right on a major thoroughfare (rte 347 to those who are unfamiliar.) The houses in there were thrown up and are starting to show it. I have a friend in there who moved out here from the city, I tried to warn him against it -- he didn't listen and guess what? He loathes it. Now that he's paid through the nose, he can't sell without taking a loss in the current market. Many of the Nuuu POOquott people are full of themselves, the flash, the cash, their "community." They look down their noses at the people from Old Poquott something fierce.

DH graduated between your dad and uncle.

I agree, there is money here, but there are people from all economic levels.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:21 AM

[quote=clamboy;1646893]
Quote:

Hmmmmmm
Interesting....why?

C
I believe you might have answered that question in your earlier post -- the one concerning GenXers getting priced out of the area in the 90's. The poster's father graduated WMHS in 1974. The oldest that poster could be is 32 years old.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:30 AM

[quote=clamboy;1648129]
Quote:

That wouldve been a hell of a profit in Setauket.
Im sure they did well if they built in Rocky Point in 87 too.(We tripled our money since 2000)
I'm glad we passed on buying our parents house in Stony Brook (Strathmores just ok)

I think as far as this argument goes,if you cant afford to be North Of 25a in 3v, why be the poor kid?

It sounds like they made the right move to RP...seems their kids turned out well.

: )

C
I moved N of 25A in '96 and paid under $150K for an older cottage walking distance to SB Village & SUNY. In the current market it is worth $750K I'm house rich LOL and pay low taxes as the house is older.

Do the math -- the mortgage is low and almost paid off. I can afford to live here and yet I am working class. I did have the advantage of being able to start sooner (or is it a disadvantage as I am no longer young while you still are ?) My children have a small yet comfortable, warm and happy home to return to after school -- with a mother who can be there for them. Who is truly wealthy? The kids in McMansions with nannies and parents who overcompensate with gifts to make up for their absences, or mine?

Guess where the kids want to hang out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island