Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 01:29 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,006,998 times

Advertisements

Welcome to Stockton - East Coast, style!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 02:20 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,991,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunk10 View Post
i went to archbishop molloy with nary a female in sight, my boys will never be forced to suffer the same fate
Most of the kids who apply to Chaminade aren't accepted.... and don't really want to go anyway..but the parents are the ones who push them to apply. Some take their second choice.. St Mary's.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:43 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
LIPA taxes make up almost 62% of PJ school district budget and close to 30% of PJV. The utility grieved its taxes with PJV and was supposed to be reducing payments to the school district. SWR also got pretty fat on the LIPA gravy train without preparing for a rainy day.

I don't envy the taxpayers in Glen Head.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:50 PM

840 posts, read 2,446,057 times
yeah i picked a great time to move. in gc or roc, my taxes would probably be 20-25 so i am hoping it doesn't get anywhere near in that range

Old 07-09-2012, 03:00 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
With the 2% property tax increase cap won't that stop taxes increasing by $2-$12K overnight? I know there is some wacky forumla the state came up and it excludes goofy things and not other things.

Old 07-09-2012, 03:05 PM

1,307 posts, read 1,664,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
LIPA taxes make up almost 62% of PJ school district budget and close to 30% of PJV. The utility grieved its taxes with PJV and was supposed to be reducing payments to the school district. SWR also got pretty fat on the LIPA gravy train without preparing for a rainy day.

I don't envy the taxpayers in Glen Head.
The NS SD went through a similar process a decade back when LIPA reduced the online time of the power plant and subsequently reduced their payments. At the time LIPA provided 50% of the school budget and in short order went down to the current ~10%.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:27 AM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,068 times
Oddly no one has thought of the effects on the power grid of these two power plants closing. Yes Far Rockaway is also closing as well. Electricity demand here on the island continues to grow and they are closing two power plants in the Newbridge Interface (Nassau County), making us especially more reliant on power from surrounding utilities, via Con Ed, Neptune, and the Conn. Shoreham cable. I think that only gives us just a handful of plants, Island Park (the last remaining one in Nassau), Northport, and Port Jeff. In the event of another area-wide blackout, it will take even longer to get power restored. To think back in 1977, then LILCO had enough generation to split from the grid sparing LI the fate of NYC...but that's progress eh?
And then there's the loss of jobs, which I'm sure will be replaced by more day laborers building the next McMansion or retail development.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:38 PM

140 posts, read 214,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Oddly no one has thought of the effects on the power grid of these two power plants closing. Yes Far Rockaway is also closing as well. Electricity demand here on the island continues to grow and they are closing two power plants in the Newbridge Interface (Nassau County), making us especially more reliant on power from surrounding utilities, via Con Ed, Neptune, and the Conn. Shoreham cable. I think that only gives us just a handful of plants, Island Park (the last remaining one in Nassau), Northport, and Port Jeff. In the event of another area-wide blackout, it will take even longer to get power restored. To think back in 1977, then LILCO had enough generation to split from the grid sparing LI the fate of NYC...but that's progress eh?
And then there's the loss of jobs, which I'm sure will be replaced by more day laborers building the next McMansion or retail development.
We need to move into the future. That is solar and wind farms. Were paying for putting these fossil fuel power plants in the end with our health. heck we have hundreds of day laborers sitting in home depot parking lots. We should put the whole lot of them to work building state of the art solar and wind farms on the island.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:40 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,171,986 times
You think you got problems....try Port Jeff.

Crooks

Old 07-15-2012, 11:06 AM

38 posts, read 76,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geo631 View Post
We need to move into the future. That is solar and wind farms. Were paying for putting these fossil fuel power plants in the end with our health. heck we have hundreds of day laborers sitting in home depot parking lots. We should put the whole lot of them to work building state of the art solar and wind farms on the island.
And where on NIMBY Long Island do you plan to put them? In a park? In a schoolyard? Along somebody's street?

It's time for the renewables crowd to start telling us what parts of the real estate they plan on turning over to wind farms and solar panels. Get some guts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island