Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 09:54 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,764,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Same here...I don't mind it that much...sleep in morn, good role smartphone on the way home. It can suck, but I love my job, and working in the city is awesome!
When my kids were young, I didn't see them until late at night, if they were up, or the next day if I was lucky. Now that they are older, I still find that working such a long day so far away leaves me detached from the home.

Yes, I use the time on the train to work or nap, but there is usually one transfer from my line to another train headed into Penn so the time is interrupted.

Frankly, I find the whole deal to not be worth the money and effort. With more companies and firms headed out of NYC, the money is moving and hopefully, so will I.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 10:25 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,952,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbathedog View Post
When my kids were young, I didn't see them until late at night, if they were up, or the next day if I was lucky. Now that they are older, I still find that working such a long day so far away leaves me detached from the home.

Yes, I use the time on the train to work or nap, but there is usually one transfer from my line to another train headed into Penn so the time is interrupted.

Frankly, I find the whole deal to not be worth the money and effort. With more companies and firms headed out of NYC, the money is moving and hopefully, so will I.
Where are these companies heading to?

Old 07-13-2012, 07:10 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post
Where are these companies heading to?
Many are heading to the south, Virginia, North Carolina etc. In general they select locations that provide them a lower cost of doing buisness. The last major wave was when companies moved out of NY City and started setting up in suburban parks outside the city. Here in Richmond Altria (Phillip Morris) moved their US headquarters from NYC to outside Richmond, many of the employees opted not to follow, their loss...

Old 07-13-2012, 07:15 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,974,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Many are heading to the south, Virginia, North Carolina etc. In general they select locations that provide them a lower cost of doing buisness. The last major wave was when companies moved out of NY City and started setting up in suburban parks outside the city. Here in Richmond Altria (Phillip Morris) moved their US headquarters from NYC to outside Richmond, many of the employees opted not to follow, their loss...
I've driven by that building many times on 95. Huge building.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Old 07-13-2012, 07:42 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,246,014 times
Quote:
LIRR is as horrible as they say! Yes, if you get on from a major hub, say Port Washington, Hicksville or Mineola, the number of rush hour trains is plentiful and the ride is brief enough. However, most of the outlying areas are left with much more skimpy schedules with poor performance records. On top of that, the fare from my zone to Penn is now up to $345/mo, a ridiculous sum of money when considering the quality of service.

My experience seems ot be much better than yours. I get on in Massapequa (not a hub) and there are plenty of options in (6:46, 7:14, 7:27, 7:53, 8:04 all express) and out (4:34, 4:52, 5:13, 5:36, 5:59 all express) of the city during the rush hours and I never have to transfer at Jamaica or anywhere else. I would never live any further than Zone 7 if I had to commute into the city every day exactly because of the situation you describe - the cost, time and inconvenience. I take the time on the train to read the paper, occasionally catch up on work and read books (I have probably read 15 already this year) and if I am lucky, a quick nap. For me, at least, it is not that bad.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:43 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
My rule: 1 hour door-to-desk max, one-seat ride, and on a train so I can read (I get nauseous reading on bus/coach).

That was one of the non-negotiable criteria when we were house-hunting.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:19 AM

78 posts, read 203,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
My rule: 1 hour door-to-desk max, one-seat ride, and on a train so I can read (I get nauseous reading on bus/coach).

That was one of the non-negotiable criteria when we were house-hunting.
I have the same rule. And I feel like one hour on the train is comparable to 30 mins in a car... given the typical traffic one endures on a morning commute. I get to work and I am relaxed. I like the transition time from the office to home really.

But this is also why my wife and I have revised our criteria and will be staying in western nassau when we move. We always planned on moving back out to Suffolk for more space and a pool and blah blah blah, but one kids came along we realized our time is the more important component, so it's pay more for less and stay in the vicinity.

At least I can surf before work though by staying in my locale!

Old 07-13-2012, 10:33 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,764,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
My experience seems ot be much better than yours. I get on in Massapequa (not a hub) and there are plenty of options in (6:46, 7:14, 7:27, 7:53, 8:04 all express) and out (4:34, 4:52, 5:13, 5:36, 5:59 all express) of the city during the rush hours and I never have to transfer at Jamaica or anywhere else. I would never live any further than Zone 7 if I had to commute into the city every day exactly because of the situation you describe - the cost, time and inconvenience. I take the time on the train to read the paper, occasionally catch up on work and read books (I have probably read 15 already this year) and if I am lucky, a quick nap. For me, at least, it is not that bad.
Yes, your experience is much better, although, I'm sure you still spend lots of time getting back and forth on a daily basis.

And you're entirely correct, Zone 10 is waaay too far out to comfortably commute to the city. However, if I'm going to move west, I can guarantee it won't be to Zone 7. It'll be off of LI and out of NY, away from the huge property taxes and ridiculous energy costs.

What I find interesting is most LI'ers have never lived any where else and have no idea how much easier and interesting life can be away from the crowds and costs of LI. Sure, there's no perfect place, but there are cities where the rush hour is really an hour long!

Oh, and I still plan on retiring on time... something that would be futile living with the ever increasing property taxes on LI.

Good luck!

Old 07-13-2012, 11:06 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,246,014 times
Quote:
Yes, your experience is much better, although, I'm sure you still spend lots of time getting back and forth on a daily basis.

And you're entirely correct, Zone 10 is waaay too far out to comfortably commute to the city. However, if I'm going to move west, I can guarantee it won't be to Zone 7. It'll be off of LI and out of NY, away from the huge property taxes and ridiculous energy costs.

What I find interesting is most LI'ers have never lived any where else and have no idea how much easier and interesting life can be away from the crowds and costs of LI. Sure, there's no perfect place, but there are cities where the rush hour is really an hour long!

Oh, and I still plan on retiring on time... something that would be futile living with the ever increasing property taxes on LI.

Good luck!
I spend about an hour (+/- 5 minutes) door to desk - not too bad for living on LI and working in midtown. Yes, there are plenty of cheaper and better places out there for sure. I am happy here for now and with my kids in school, it would be difficult for me to pull them out of all of the relationships they have so I could move. We will see what happens if I start making less money and the grind of the taxes and costs start impacting me more than they are now.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:08 PM

56 posts, read 133,948 times
I work in mid town and commute from Port Washington. My walk to train is 15 min, train is 35 min, and walk to building is 12 minutes. So an hour all in basically. I could never work from home. I love my commute and it gives me time to listen to music and enjoy a coffee. I think working from home is way overrated and I think people love to post that they work from home on here especially when people comment on their long commutes lol. Long live the commuter!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island