Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2012, 07:39 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,723,956 times

Advertisements

Hello, fellow C-Ders!

My parents' anniversary is coming up and I've decided to surprise them by putting their wedding VHS on DVD for safe keeping. The problem is that many of the services I've looked at (WalMart, Walgreens, etc.) require three weeks for processing. Am I crazy to think I can get it done in 24-36 hours?

Ideally, I'd like someplace in southwestern Nassau County, but I'll extend my search to western Suffolk/eastern Queens, if need be.

Hoping not to spend more than $30, but I totally understand that may not be possible on my timetable.

Any help would be much appreciated

Last edited by bigjretrac; 07-10-2012 at 07:40 PM.. Reason: Corrected grammar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 08:04 PM

730 posts, read 1,657,558 times
Try

Abbey Photo
3814 Merrick Road
Seaford 11783
516 785 0979

Old 07-11-2012, 06:45 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,032,823 times
You can buy a video transfer card and do it on your computer. Order from Amazon and you'll have it in a few days. It's not difficult.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:25 AM

244 posts, read 540,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
You can buy a video transfer card and do it on your computer. Order from Amazon and you'll have it in a few days. It's not difficult.
True... I used a USB dongle on a laptop and got good results doing a straight-from-VHS to capture file, using S-video/audio outputs from a JVC VCR.

It needed a pretty hefty laptop to accomplish this though.

For the faint-of-heart (not technically inclined) though, it would be much easier to just hand it to a store to have it done.

Check local camera stores - Cameta in Amityville might be able to do it.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:47 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,881,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I was going to suggest this but the PVRs are over $50 usually. And it takes a ton of time including conversion. I used to do this a lot before I put away the VHS player for good. Anything with video editing just takes a lot of time.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:36 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! It looks like I'll be doing it myself. I'll be getting the attachment for my Mac and doing it that way.

Thanks a million!

Old 07-11-2012, 01:45 PM

Well, if you have a Mac, then... well... go for it

Old 07-11-2012, 02:02 PM

Actually, now that I think of it, I forgot I have a VHS Player/DVD Recorder combo attached to my TV. Wonder if that'll get the job done...anybody know?

Again, thank you guys so much for the suggestions. I'll definitely keep those suggestions in mind for future photo needs. I'm a long time lurker of the CD forums

Old 07-11-2012, 02:12 PM

Yes, it should. I have one, a Zenith, and it makes pretty good copies.

Just remember that with a standard DVD, with the quality on "high", that it will only hold about 1 hour of standard-def video.

A regular VHS tape is usually two hours (120 minutes) on SP (standard play). I think LP (long play?) is much longer than that. Like twice.

No matter what you do, if you don't set the DVD recorder to high quality, the quality WILL degrade. So if the tape is SP, and the DVD is set to "high" quality, it will look just like the tape does when played to the TV.

If the tape is SP and the DVD is NOT set to "high" quality, it will be noticeably lower quality.

Likewise, if the tape is LP (low quality) and the DVD is not "high" quality, the resulting recording will be even worse than the tape is.

What I mean is, a LP VHS tape can take up quite a few DVDs, and still only look like the original tape (low quality).

Mess around with it and see what you get - get a few DVD-RWs, so you can test with it before committing to burning to read-only DVD-R. Oh, and use DVD-R if you can, it's compatible with more players than DVD+R.

And before buying any blank DVDs make sure you check what the recorder can record on

Old 07-11-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krewat View Post
Yes, it should. I have one, a Zenith, and it makes pretty good copies.

Just remember that with a standard DVD, with the quality on "high", that it will only hold about 1 hour of standard-def video.

A regular VHS tape is usually two hours (120 minutes) on SP (standard play). I think LP (long play?) is much longer than that. Like twice.

No matter what you do, if you don't set the DVD recorder to high quality, the quality WILL degrade. So if the tape is SP, and the DVD is set to "high" quality, it will look just like the tape does when played to the TV.

If the tape is SP and the DVD is NOT set to "high" quality, it will be noticeably lower quality.

Likewise, if the tape is LP (low quality) and the DVD is not "high" quality, the resulting recording will be even worse than the tape is.

What I mean is, a LP VHS tape can take up quite a few DVDs, and still only look like the original tape (low quality).

Mess around with it and see what you get - get a few DVD-RWs, so you can test with it before committing to burning to read-only DVD-R. Oh, and use DVD-R if you can, it's compatible with more players than DVD+R.

And before buying any blank DVDs make sure you check what the recorder can record on
Got it! Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island