Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 09:51 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,236,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CatMom View Post
South Huntington is "make believe", kind of like Halesite or Huntington Bay! It was created by residents who didn't want to be associated with Huntington Station, which is the same zip code - unless they are really part of the Melville zip.

On the north shore, it's more desirable to be considered "north" of everything, although few areas have the separate word "North" in their name. There is Northport, one word, and Centerport - is there a Southport? IDK about that one. There's an East Northport, but not a South or West Northport! Funny.
there is also East Northport, which, of course is SOUTH of Northport. It's also home to the Northport train station. For some reason I don't understand either of these facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 10:36 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Northhampton? LOL!
Northampton is a hamlet and CDP north of West Hampton. It's rather diverse and doesn't share as much in common with the other _____hamptons.

Old 04-11-2015, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
there is also East Northport, which, of course is SOUTH of Northport. It's also home to the Northport train station. For some reason I don't understand either of these facts.
The name came about when the Northport railroad station was moved south for access to the Port Jeff Branch. The conductors referred to it as 'East of Northport', and over time the 'of' was dropped.

Old 04-11-2015, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
that's in Massachusetts !
I hate hitting Northhampton on southbound I-91. It seems as though all the traffic and lousy drivers enter the highway from that area. Ugh

Old 04-11-2015, 08:12 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,414,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CatMom View Post
South Huntington is "make believe", kind of like Halesite or Huntington Bay! It was created by residents who didn't want to be associated with Huntington Station, which is the same zip code - unless they are really part of the Melville zip.

On the north shore, it's more desirable to be considered "north" of everything, although few areas have the separate word "North" in their name. There is Northport, one word, and Centerport - is there a Southport? IDK about that one. There's an East Northport, but not a South or West Northport! Funny.

Yet, if you drive from the northern edge of Huntington Station (say, about where the Big H Shopping Center is on New York Avenue/Route 110) south on New York Avenue/Route 110 through the north-to-south stretch of Huntington Station (i.e., "Huntington Station" as classfied by geopolitically-defined borders, not by zip code), once you cross over Jericho Turnpike going southbound, the whole area takes on a wholly different look and feel, ambience, and character. It has a whole different SUBURBAN-like character (which has taken on a different name: "South Huntington") . . . whereas north of Jericho Turnpike is "Huntington Station" and Huntington Station is a very much an urban-like landscape and an urban-like look and feel and character. It quite resembles varied parts of Queens, Brooklyn, and the Bronx. Very, very different from what "South Huntington" looks and feels like.

The point: So you say that "South Huntington" is a "make-believe" designation but it appears to be valid to give that area its own name apart from "Huntington Station" because it is, in fact, very different in its topography, landscape, look and feel, ambience, and character from what Huntington Station is (i.e., once again, I'm talking about "Huntington Station" as defined by its geopolitically-defined borders, not by the entire postal delivery zone encompassed by a singular zip code assigned to it by the U.S. Postal Service).

In the same vein, Dix Hills has the same zip code as Huntington Station. Yet Dix Hills and Huntington Station are as radically different as night and day. Is Dix Hills just a "make-believe" entity? Shall they do away with the name "Dix Hills" altogether and just call it "Huntington Station" from now-on (being that it presently has the same zip code assigned to it as "Huntington Station")?

Old 04-11-2015, 08:22 PM

159 posts, read 279,619 times
Not all of Huntington Station looks like city. Some parts of it look very upscale like Dix Hills with huge properties and large houses

Old 04-11-2015, 09:37 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
Yet, if you drive from the northern edge of Huntington Station (say, about where the Big H Shopping Center is on New York Avenue/Route 110) south on New York Avenue/Route 110 through the north-to-south stretch of Huntington Station (i.e., "Huntington Station" as classfied by geopolitically-defined borders, not by zip code), once you cross over Jericho Turnpike going southbound, the whole area takes on a wholly different look and feel, ambience, and character. It has a whole different SUBURBAN-like character (which has taken on a different name: "South Huntington") . . . whereas north of Jericho Turnpike is "Huntington Station" and Huntington Station is a very much an urban-like landscape and an urban-like look and feel and character. It quite resembles varied parts of Queens, Brooklyn, and the Bronx. Very, very different from what "South Huntington" looks and feels like.

The point: So you say that "South Huntington" is a "make-believe" designation but it appears to be valid to give that area its own name apart from "Huntington Station" because it is, in fact, very different in its topography, landscape, look and feel, ambience, and character from what Huntington Station is (i.e., once again, I'm talking about "Huntington Station" as defined by its geopolitically-defined borders, not by the entire postal delivery zone encompassed by a singular zip code assigned to it by the U.S. Postal Service).

In the same vein, Dix Hills has the same zip code as Huntington Station. Yet Dix Hills and Huntington Station are as radically different as night and day. Is Dix Hills just a "make-believe" entity? Shall they do away with the name "Dix Hills" altogether and just call it "Huntington Station" from now-on (being that it presently has the same zip code assigned to it as "Huntington Station")?
Generalizations paint a wrong picture

Do you call half acre (or 1/3 acre) zoning urban like resembling Queens, Brooklyn and the Bronx?
Do you consider the Maplewood Section urban like resembling Queens, Brooklyn and the Bronx?
Etc...

Old 04-11-2015, 11:55 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,414,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyfulHope View Post
Not all of Huntington Station looks like city. Some parts of it look very upscale like Dix Hills with huge properties and large houses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Generalizations paint a wrong picture

Do you call half acre (or 1/3 acre) zoning urban like resembling Queens, Brooklyn and the Bronx?
Do you consider the Maplewood Section urban like resembling Queens, Brooklyn and the Bronx?
Etc...

True. I was primarily thinking of the Route 110 look-and-feel and its nearby cross-streets and nearby parallel streets in my thinking of Huntington Station. I've seen other parts of Huntington Station (e.g., along Park Avenue between Jericho Turnpike and Huntington Village's Main St./Route 25) that are quite suburban in character. But much of the core of Huntington Station-- centering around greater New York Avenue/Route 110 and its nearby cross-streets and nearby parallel streets --is quite urban-like (i.e., a wholly-walkable and dense urban street grid pattern lined with stores and businesses, a public library, fire station, churches, et al . . . and also can be variably gritty in an urban way and has a very diverse population racially/ethnically speaking, including lower-income populations that are more typical of our great city to the immediate west of Long Island).

Yet what is called "South Huntington" has hardly any element whatsoever (that I ever saw) of such an urban-like walkable street landscape. "South Huntington" looks like typical nearly-all-car-dependent spread-out suburbia (i.e., lacking in comparable urban-like density of development). My focus is on the urban streetscape-like pattern and density of development of the core of Huntington Station, not focusing on whether or not there are also clusters of nice or sizable properties versus less-than-nice or less-sizable properties within the territory of Huntington Station analogous to what you find in South Huntington. It is that the core of Huntington Station is a wholly walkable and densely-developed urban-like environment and, at that, appears to be significantly populated by a quite-less-affluent population . . . whereas South Huntington through-and-through (unless there are parts I haven't seen or experienced yet) is not designed for living without a car at your avail and the type of populations most characteristic of the core of Huntington Station (the quite-less-affluent populations) do not appear to be mirrored as well in the resident populations that appear to make up the populations of South Huntington. In summary, South Huntington does in fact, appear to be quite a different creature from what one finds going through the heart of Huntington Station. While Huntington Station does have elements of what South Huntington has within its territory, South Huntington (to my seeming knowledge, which may be right or wrong in its correctness) doesn't appear to have any type of urban character to it like Huntington Station has within its territory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island