Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 12:58 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,984,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
After all...most tenants are scum and ruin property.
Idiocy of your statement aside, then don't be a landlord. Again, no one is twisting their arm and it's not a law. They can ask for a year's rent up front if they like. They won't get it and it doesn't guarantee that renter won't be worse than the one who pays 1st last and 1 month security. Most renters are good people who take good care of the properties they rent. Your crotchety old diatribes are just a goof. Most landlord tenant relationships are positive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 01:48 PM

573 posts, read 1,239,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewLongIslander View Post
We moved in 3 weeks ago. Were promised "very very nice home you will love it such a gret neighborhood, etc..." We paid 1st mth last month and 3 security. Over 14k.
. . .
If anyone has any ideas what to do or a good lawyer who would work pro bono or any other legal steps to take here. I am willing to work hard and do everything it takes.
So 14k before even moving into an apartment, but now you want a lawyer who will work for free? The security is yours, it never actually becomes property of the landlord, so you can recover that (well you can sue to recover it, get a judgment and then try to enforce the judgment). You should be able to recover the last month's rent too. As to first, not sure how long you lived there,maybe could recover that too. If you don't want to pay an attorney upfront, you may be able to negotiate a contingency fee basis depending on how much work said attorney believes it would be. You're over the monetary threshold for small claims, so you would have to bring this case in District Court. Good luck, and if you'd like the name of an attorney you can PM me.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:55 AM

185 posts, read 456,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Going rates change..and this is one that should. Absolutely unbelievable that landlords have to be limited to only one month security. That's a drop in the bucket if the pig of a tenant makes a mess out of the house.
I rent and if I were looking for another apt I would never even consider a landlord that wants more than 1 month security. (not to mention never using a broker - another waste of money)

Old 07-13-2012, 12:04 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,983,548 times
since the OP hasn't posted back I'm beginning to think this was a troll post, but here are some things you could do in the mean time to "protect yourself" and help make the situation better if you're too busy to 1. go to the town, 2. lawyer up, and 3. get out right now.

First, turn off the breakers feeding into the "gardeners" apartment. This will get this freeloading fleabag's attention quick.
Second, If you can find the water valves, I would turn off the water feeding into the second kitchen and bath too. No electric, no water, now they're camping. If she complains play ignorant to her issue, and say you didn't know where the circuit fed, so you turned it off to prevent utility waste. If she's hostile tell her to go pull some weeds.

Third, assuming you have addressed the issues with the rental to the landlord with no resolution, fix the issues at hand, and deduct the cost of repairs from next months rent.

let us know what you decided to do and how it went.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:33 PM

6 posts, read 4,999 times
Thank you so much for your advice everyone. I agree with most of it. There were many mistakes made by me and my sister. Why she did not notice the odor for example? They are first degree shiesters! They took advantage of a busy professional who wanted a simple seemless house search. I have more guilt than I can deal with. I love LI and my whole family is in the area so I am staying and making it work. I will sue this family until I have no more strength left. I am going to every resource out there. I got a lawyer who wants 3k to get started and I am afraid will not get any money back ever even if I get a judgment against this slumlord. I will do everything in my power to make them as miserable as they made me.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:49 PM

To BigMike:
Yes Commack. When I move out will gladly provide address. Spoke to my "other tenant" who explained that there were prior tenants with pets, who smoked indoors, did not pay rent, last one did trash the place badly. However the landlord has history of ignoring tenants requests, lying and basically ignoring house repairs. The houses around me are gorgeous. The neighbors have been livid that this land lord has not even mowed the lawn once in over 6 mths.
Why did I pay so much? I needed a place desperately. Time was an issue and I forgot how messed up NY can be when it come to getting ripped off. I needed a good school for my child. The one around here is pretty good.
I own property myself in another state and in no way have ever treated someone like I am treated. I can't believe they had the nerve to say this place beautiful.
I do have a standard lease that states I am renting the home and paying all utilities for my family not for the other tenant!
And yes I researched the area and thought exactly that, Commack is great! I did not move to Islip for that reason.
This really stinks.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:54 PM

That is a great idea! I will talk to mu husband ASAP!

Old 07-13-2012, 08:00 PM

Sorry have not posted. Work has been crazy. I am still learning how to navigate this site. I agree that I can afford to pay lawyer but trying to minimize the pain here and do as much myself as possible. If I knew I could get money out of this sheister would gladly pay up!
In the meantime I am looking at these ugly walls and just can't believe what I did! My last home would sell here for over a million. I am an idiot. I hope to learn something atleast.
I have really enjoyed learning about the area on this site. Thank you.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:04 PM

Forgot to update: sent letter receipt requested, to landlord demanding either all be fixed and this "groundskeeper" moves out with all their animals, or give me security back and will gladly leave. I did threaten to sue , to report to various authorities,, etc...So now waiting for response!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island