Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 07:08 AM

6 posts, read 5,017 times

Advertisements

We moved in 3 weeks ago. Were promised "very very nice home you will love it such a gret neighborhood, etc..." We paid 1st mth last month and 3 security. Over 14k. The ad and pics made it seem perfect. My sister took a tour and did not notice the odor or some of the disrepair. The land lord keeps saying we are still remodeling so all of this will be fixed up. We are 2500 miles away and too busy to come down and look. Big mistake!
What we got: no hot water, they just let oil run out ($700 to fill and fix), no air conditioning ( ad said AC), had to buy one (320$), surprise tenant lives there with boyfriend and 3 dogs and 1 cat! ( never mentioned in conversation or ad at all!). Imagine our shock! Then the landlord says " she is just the groundskeeper in a small studio with 2'little dogs. You will not even notice her"
Other: exposed wires and faceplates, unfinished ceiling and walls, unusable laundry area, cracks every where allowing all bugs free reign, holes in walls and doors some patched up, look horrendous, ODOR of CAT URINE! We had to pull out master bed carpet after many cleaning attempts! Some improvement but we have always keep window open have fans on, otherwise the smell returns.
Just when you think enough of this, we find out that we are responsible for oil, electric, loan, grounds, and get this! House has one meter, one tank and we get to pay for this couple's electric and heat!
To make this even more fun, the landlord has history of being sued for nonpayment of money to various institutions and individuals!
If anyone has any ideas what to do or a good lawyer who would work pro bono or any other legal steps to take here. I am willing to work hard and do everything it takes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 07:59 AM

863 posts, read 2,107,322 times
Wow sorry things have been so rough with your move to the island. You can first try the town to see if the house is zoned for 2 family or rental. I am however worried that if it's not and the town starts coming around you may have to move or something. I would not pay another month's rent and start taking pictures and recording your conversation (in nyc you don't have to inform the other party the conversation is recorded if it's a two party conversation that directly relates to you and you are on the call) Hold off on putting any oil in the tank and paying the electric unless it's been changed to your name already. While doing all that i mentioned above you do need a lawyer because this clown has 14k of your money already and i am sure you don't have it to just go out and get another place.

WOW who charges 3 months security he is just a crook. I wish you the best of luck.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:04 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,989,267 times
Move out, lawyer up, and get your money back.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:42 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,961,031 times
Wait, you paid for a rental without ever physically looking at the house? I get you're miles away, but if I were forking over that much money (which is way more than I've ever hear), I'd take a flight out to see it first.

Doesn't seem like your sister is very observant. Sorry.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:43 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times
Wow ; 3 months security ; that is a huge sum. Go to the Town of Smithtown or Huntington (dont know which one you are in) and file a complaint. You can also go to the landlord court and sue the landlord.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:13 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,702,873 times
File a complaint? Why? Landlords are taking a risk...they should be able to get as much of a deposit as possible. I dont think 3 months deposit is unreasonable.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:19 AM

69 posts, read 158,278 times
The amount of secruity a landlord is allowed to collect may be set by statute in some jurisidictions.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:30 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,995,795 times
1st, last and 3 months security is utterly ridiculous and a red flag of a sheister. Even million dollar condo rentals in SOHO don't have the nerve to ask for that. The most I've ever heard is 1st, last, security and a month fee to a broker if there is one. Sorry to add insult to injury but caveat emptor and due diligence is everything. Is your sister (or what would be considered an "agent" in this case) that inept?!

If it's a legal apt lawyer up FAST, don't pay another cent and sue to make them fix everything immediately or refund the money.

If it's illegal, get them screwed by the town and assume you're kissing that money goodbye. No lease so likely you won't get back anything unless you get a sympathetic judge and/or this person has a history of illegal rentals. He'll be paying that money to the town in fines, unfortunately he won't be paying it to you.

Good luck.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:57 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,702,873 times
Why is three month's utterly ridiculous? The landlord is letting you use a significant asset..a house that is worth possibly hundreds of thousands of $. Why should it be ridiculous to ask for 3 months security. Of course, our liberal government always sides with renter freeloaders but 3 months should be the minimum to rent a house.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:05 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Why is three month's utterly ridiculous? The landlord is letting you use a significant asset..a house that is worth possibly hundreds of thousands of $. Why should it be ridiculous to ask for 3 months security. Of course, our liberal government always sides with renter freeloaders but 3 months should be the minimum to rent a house.
1st, last and 3 months is 5 months of rent in advance. 1st, last and 1 month sounds reasonable, but 5 months?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island