Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 01:57 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,032,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Long Island Item

This NCPD officer lives in Garden City. I know a couple of people living in GC on around $200k. They're definitely not eating raman noodles.
Well if he was stealing baby food who knows what else he did to supplement his already bloated income. Also, if you factor that he didn't pay a penny towards pension or medical, his real income was probably closer to 40K more than his actual listed salary. Did his wife work?

But I digress.

I modify my comments: if you bought before the boom you can live in GC for 200K. If you are buying or bought post 2005, I find it hard to believe unless you got a big chunk of cash from someone else for a downpayment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
I wonder if its the same NCPD officer that I know. He is married to a female attorney who also works for a firm with a Garden City office. Per SeeThroughNY.net, he earned $93K in 2011 (he is in his early 30s). They bought a house in Garden City last year and just had a baby. They somehow made it work.

No, the clown Pequa brought up is a veteran and makes way more than that.

Old 07-12-2012, 02:06 PM

377 posts, read 644,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Really, you don't have to factor in....

Cellphones, Cable ,clothing, vacations, entertainment( movies, ball games, bowling,etc) fuel( if you take the LIRR,subway, if you don't parking)

Kids ( school supplies, video games,clothing,books, savings for college tuition ) Those pesky unexpected expenditures(repairs,upgrades,etc)

Have any vices? smoke,drink,gamble...Nothing to charity(you cheapskate) J/K

For most it's just nice to have some extra scratch left over at the end of every month. Enjoy, your a lucky guy!

Well geez, if you take kids out of the equation then I guess for us that would leave about 90 percent. J /K sort of. Actually probably about 50 percent. I guess we are loaded then. Time to move to Garden City. Oh wait, we DO have kids. Oh crap. I guess we're screwed. LOL.

Old 07-12-2012, 02:16 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,006,525 times
Quote:
I cant calculate that because for me it changes every month based on my job. Lunches/dinners especially - because sometimes we do client lunches at work (the firm picks up the tab) or sometimes my husband and I go out to eat 2x in a week, and sometimes the next month we will eat home cooked meals for almost every day and weekends.

I only know that I have about 40% left over after my major debts are paid off every month (which includes mortgage/cell phones/auto/loans, etc). I use a credit card to pay for almost everything because I get Rewards points so all my costs for gas, groceries, clothing, social expenses go on that which I pay in full the following month. So some months I can stick as much as $500/month into savings and other months only $50. So it depends.

I use Mint.com for my budgeting expenses - its really a great app, I have it on my phone and iPad and it keeps me on track with spending. I highly recommend it - its so user friendly!
How can you only stick $500/mth or $50/mth into savings and still have 3x in liquid assets to pay your mortgage 3x over as you stated in your prior posts? Something is not computing here.

Old 07-12-2012, 02:23 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,784,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
How can you only stick $500/mth or $50/mth into savings and still have 3x in liquid assets to pay your mortgage 3x over as you stated in your prior posts? Something is not computing here.
My husband is the one that has several thousand dollars in his savings/bank accounts. Not me. I am the one that came into our marriage with the student loan and credit card debt (which, as of next month, both are paid off). I still have a mortgage on an underwater condo.

Old 07-12-2012, 02:31 PM

344 posts, read 717,745 times
If you really want to measure our "e-peens" you'd ask for: net worth, age, % of net worth in liquid assets.

Old 07-12-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
My husband is the one that has several thousand dollars in his savings/bank accounts. Not me. I am the one that came into our marriage with the student loan and credit card debt (which, as of next month, both are paid off). I still have a mortgage on an underwater condo.
Hang in there with the condo - you have tons of company. Several thousand is an understatement, don't you think? more like hundreds of K it sounds like.

Old 07-12-2012, 02:44 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdlugozi View Post
Well geez, if you take kids out of the equation then I guess for us that would leave about 90 percent. J /K sort of. Actually probably about 50 percent. I guess we are loaded then. Time to move to Garden City. Oh wait, we DO have kids. Oh crap. I guess we're screwed. LOL.

Isn't that the truth!

I forgot to mention sleep away camp which all my children are currently at until tomorrow . It's a big nut but serves a purpose. I send them to a camp with no cellphones,electronic equipment,I pods,etc. It keeps them grounded and appreciate what they have. They have to write letters to communicate. My sons wrote: Dad it's 105 out we don't have a/c, x-box, hot water,t.v, cell phones and we have to eat what we catch, this sucks. My daughter 3 years younger writes Dad this is great..I love it.

Old 07-12-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Isn't that the truth!

I forgot to mention sleep away camp which all my children are currently at until tomorrow . It's a big nut but serves a purpose. I send them to a camp with no cellphones,electronic equipment,I pods,etc. It keeps them grounded and appreciate what they have. They have to write letters to communicate. My sons wrote: Dad it's 105 out we don't have a/c, x-box, hot water,t.v, cell phones and we have to eat what we catch, this sucks. My daughter 3 years younger writes Dad this is great..I love it.
Camp Krusty?

I kid, I kid.

Old 07-12-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Isn't that the truth!

Wife writes the kids: Glad to hear you're both having fun. We are having fun as well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island