Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 07:10 AM

78,326 posts, read 60,517,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1poet View Post
I moved to Levittown in April. And if you had offered me 1 Million dollars to guess what was the most comon animal I would see in the wild I would never had guessed Rabbits.

But there must be at least 11 different rabbits in my neighborhood alone. 1 to 2 are hanging out on my lawn every night and mourning. I see at least 4 on my way to work.

Whats the deal? Did this happen recently or have there been that many rabbits in LI for years? I'm told levittown is not the only place that has then running wild.
Mild winter combined with the fact that a lot of species, especially rabbits follow a natural boom\bust population cycle.

I live 1500 miles away from you and we are experiencing the same thing. Now I wait for the foxes etc. to come in and thin the herd so to speak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 07:33 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,151,464 times
^^ Spot on.

Wayyy more little ones out this year than any other. The mild winter didn't kill any off, so you are seeing full litters out and about.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:27 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,699,824 times
Considering the mild winter, the fact that rabbits are capable of having a litter every 4 weeks, and fewer natural predators in Levittown, it comes as no surprise to learn you've so many rabbits. Growing up down the street from the SSP, we would see rabbits frequently and had a mother rabbit nest on our lawn.

I see fewer rabbits in Stony Brook and many of my friends and I have noted we've noticed an increase in red fox.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:39 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,004,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d1poet View Post
I moved to Levittown in April. And if you had offered me 1 Million dollars to guess what was the most comon animal I would see in the wild I would never had guessed Rabbits.

But there must be at least 11 different rabbits in my neighborhood alone. 1 to 2 are hanging out on my lawn every night and mourning. I see at least 4 on my way to work.

Whats the deal? Did this happen recently or have there been that many rabbits in LI for years? I'm told levittown is not the only place that has then running wild.
There have always been rabbits - drive along the Meadowbrook what do you see - rabbits. Head out east - what do you see? rabbits. That is what happens when there are almost no predators to take them out.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:22 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,228,361 times
I'll take the rabbits over the possums any day. We had rabbits hopping across the field during my daughter's softball games.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:28 AM

216 posts, read 445,696 times
My Mom in Bellmore has had a family of rabbits for years living there. I believe as long as they are grey/brown they are wild. If they are black/white then that means they are house pets and someone dumped them!

Old 07-13-2012, 09:59 AM

78,326 posts, read 60,517,579 times
I live smack in the middle of the kansas city suburbs and have seen fox, bobcat, coyote and great horned owls in my yard....bunnies are yummy and those predators are adept and hiding out even in a suburban landscape.

Heck, they tracked a tagged wolf right through CHICAGO a year or two ago. It probably stayed along the rail lines. An amazing amount of wildlife out there.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:13 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,702,412 times
For those that may be interested:

Ingredients
  • 3 pounds rabbit meat, cleaned and cut into pieces
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 pound bacon, diced
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped shallots
  • 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 cup dry red wine
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules
  • 1 tablespoon currant jelly
  • 10 black peppercorns, crushed
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
  • 2 teaspoons lemon juice
  • 3 tablespoons water
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
Directions
  1. Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain on paper towels and set aside. Sprinkle rabbit with salt and coat with 1/3 cup flour, shaking off excess. Brown rabbit in remaining bacon fat. Remove from skillet, along with all but 2 tablespoons of the fat, and reserve.
  2. Saute shallots and garlic in skillet for about 4 minutes, until tender. Stir in wine, 1 cup water and bouillon. Heat to boiling, then stir in jelly, peppercorns, bay leaf, and rosemary. Return rabbit and bacon to skillet. Heat to boiling, then reduce heat to low. Cover and let simmer about 1 1/2 hours or until rabbit is tender.
  3. Remove bay leaf and discard. Place rabbit on a warm platter and keep warm while preparing gravy.
  4. To Make Gravy: Stir lemon juice into skillet with cooking liquid. Combine 3 tablespoons water with 2 tablespoons flour and mix together; stir mixture into skillet over low heat. Finally, stir in thyme. Pour gravy over stew and serve, or pour into a gravy boat and serve on the side.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:14 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,985,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Considering the mild winter, the fact that rabbits are capable of having a litter every 4 weeks, and fewer natural predators in Levittown, it comes as no surprise to learn you've so many rabbits. Growing up down the street from the SSP, we would see rabbits frequently and had a mother rabbit nest on our lawn.

I see fewer rabbits in Stony Brook and many of my friends and I have noted we've noticed an increase in red fox.
We had an increase of red fox up here as well. However, it was a boom and bust cycle. Within 2 years they were all gone due to distemper and the water RAT population zoomed out of control. We abut wetlands.

Our cottontail population has always remained about the same. Perhaps fox preferred rat? I don't know. But I NEVER want to go through another boom in rat population again!

Old 07-13-2012, 10:21 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,026,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
For those that may be interested:

Ingredients
  • 3 pounds rabbit meat, cleaned and cut into pieces
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 pound bacon, diced
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped shallots
  • 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 cup dry red wine
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules
  • 1 tablespoon currant jelly
  • 10 black peppercorns, crushed
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
  • 2 teaspoons lemon juice
  • 3 tablespoons water
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
Directions
  1. Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain on paper towels and set aside. Sprinkle rabbit with salt and coat with 1/3 cup flour, shaking off excess. Brown rabbit in remaining bacon fat. Remove from skillet, along with all but 2 tablespoons of the fat, and reserve.
  2. Saute shallots and garlic in skillet for about 4 minutes, until tender. Stir in wine, 1 cup water and bouillon. Heat to boiling, then stir in jelly, peppercorns, bay leaf, and rosemary. Return rabbit and bacon to skillet. Heat to boiling, then reduce heat to low. Cover and let simmer about 1 1/2 hours or until rabbit is tender.
  3. Remove bay leaf and discard. Place rabbit on a warm platter and keep warm while preparing gravy.
  4. To Make Gravy: Stir lemon juice into skillet with cooking liquid. Combine 3 tablespoons water with 2 tablespoons flour and mix together; stir mixture into skillet over low heat. Finally, stir in thyme. Pour gravy over stew and serve, or pour into a gravy boat and serve on the side.

3 pounds of rabbit meat..sheehs, you'd probably have to kill 20 of them to get that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island