Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2012, 11:24 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,944,174 times

Advertisements

Rabbit is absolutely tasty when cooked correctly.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 11:48 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,570,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
We had an increase of red fox up here as well. However, it was a boom and bust cycle. Within 2 years they were all gone due to distemper and the water RAT population zoomed out of control. We abut wetlands.

Our cottontail population has always remained about the same. Perhaps fox preferred rat? I don't know. But I NEVER want to go through another boom in rat population again!
We have rats here and I've seen a momma fox carrying a rat back to her den in my neighbor's yard. Blech. Between the water, woods and firewood piles, they've got many places to hide and (ewww) breed.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Rabbit is absolutely tasty when cooked correctly.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
French Canadian man up in VT owned a charcuterie restaurant in Dorset -- made the most amazing rabbit sausage. It was to die for!

Old 07-13-2012, 12:05 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,936,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
We have rats here and I've seen a momma fox carrying a rat back to her den in my neighbor's yard. Blech. Between the water, woods and firewood piles, they've got many places to hide and (ewww) breed.
She's a good mama!

Winter of '96 took care of our rat problem. We had so much snow pack covered with ice...they suffocated trying to escape their burrows.

It wasn't pleasant when the snow melted. Rat "pancakes" littered the yard.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
She's a good mama!

Winter of '96 took care of our rat problem. We had so much snow pack covered with ice...they suffocated trying to escape their burrows.

It wasn't pleasant when the snow melted. Rat "pancakes" littered the yard.
I wish last year's winter would have done in the rats but no such luck. It's not that there are lots of them, but when you periodically see one scamper across the road...blech!

Old 07-13-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
I wish last year's winter would have done in the rats but no such luck. It's not that there are lots of them, but when you periodically see one scamper across the road...blech!
The rat situation was so bad, our yards looked like swiss cheese from their burrow holes. The holes were about 3 inches in diameter. We tried flooding them, sealing them... even putting used kitty littter down them.. all to no avail. From snout to rump, they were about 10 inches long.

The snow took out a lot of them.. then some fox "mysteriously" reappeared......and nature's balance returned.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:01 PM

294 posts, read 740,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
Have you seen any racoons lately? Probably not. That's why there are so many rabbits - the racoons used to keep them in check.
Plenty of raccoons in Farmingdale. Plenty of rabbits too. Rabbits are all over Cedar Creek Park in Seaford and the bike path along Wantagh Parkway.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
The rat situation was so bad, our yards looked like swiss cheese from their burrow holes. The holes were about 3 inches in diameter. We tried flooding them, sealing them... even putting used kitty littter down them.. all to no avail. From snout to rump, they were about 10 inches long.

The snow took out a lot of them.. then some fox "mysteriously" reappeared......and nature's balance returned.

Holy guacamole! You had to have been at your wits end! I would have been losing it!

Old 07-13-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Holy guacamole! You had to have been at your wits end! I would have been losing it!
I went crazy. I think... I can't prove it.. but there was unexplained evidence around.......my Dad went fox snaring on another part of the island. A catch and release cage in the woods.... and empty 50lbs bags of gravy train in the trunk of his car. He didn't have a dog and neither did I!

Old 07-14-2012, 05:25 AM

376 posts, read 1,012,300 times
Quote:
i went crazy. I think... I can't prove it.. But there was unexplained evidence around.......my dad went fox snaring on another part of the island. A catch and release cage in the woods.... And empty 50lbs bags of gravy train in the trunk of his car. He didn't have a dog and neither did i!
where do you live to have all those rats ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island