Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 11:11 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
!OMG mediocre people, too??? This is absurd.

OP,

Not sure what kind of money you're bringing to the table, but Manhasset basically starts at a $Million, GC about half. Comparing the two, I think Garden City is a better buy $ for $, is centrally located to all, more going on there, and more of an upper-middle class vibe vs. a mostly wealthy vibe in Manhasset. Make sure to hit Garden City's 7th St when you visit, and hit the Americana Manhasset to get a sense of the folks living in each town.
7th Street is nothing like it used to be. All the good stores are gone. Geesh.. I'm dating myself.

Also as far as home prices, it all depend just WHERE in GC you want to live as there is quite a disparity of pricing within the community.There are more larger lots available in Manhasset than GC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 12:00 PM

9 posts, read 42,826 times
Thank you all for the very helpful information. I would love to spend a weekend in each town but I can barely get away for a few hours to look at houses with four little ones! There doesn't seem to be many big (4 bedrooms) houses in GC in the one million range. The majority of houses are on the small side and need updating. I'm finding that one mill doesn't get you too much in either town! It seems crazy to me that one mill doesn't get you much if you want to be close to NYC. Should I be looking at another town, beside Port Washington? GC does seem to have more going on as a community over Manhasset. Manhasset seems to be a little more "stick-to-yourself". I could be wrong on that but it's the impression I'm getting. Would you agree?

Old 07-16-2012, 12:08 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
The GC village government can be cumbersome but I personally like things like strict building codes and making sure people don't leave their garbage by the curb all day. I think of it as freedom from neighbors behaving badly. It depends on how much local government you'd like.

I agree with you on that, although the salaries and benefits for the police and others are becoming top heavy to say the least.

Aside from that I am talking about the community agreement, which I think is wearing out its welcome.

As far as stricti building codes, sorry don't agree. The Taco Bell house on Tanners Pond, the monstrosities on Harrison totally out of keeping with the rest of the street and houses too big for their lots that went up over the last 10 years prove they have very little interest in keeping the village looking the way it always has. SHould be interesting to see the outcry when they build those condos on the old Doubleday site, which no one seems to have noticed passed the BOT recently.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:22 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I think you've compared and contrasted the towns nicely. I think they are pretty equal (everyone seems to forget the housing projects in Manhasset when they mention the slums around GC).
If you're talking about Spinney Hill Houses, wouldn't really call them housing projects. There are only about 100 units, tucked away near North Shore Hospital (and technically in Great Neck, though the are is zoned for Manhassett schools) and it's not like a horrible violent slum or anything. It's a pretty historic area, used to be a community of blacks that worked in local mansions.

By comparison, GC shares a long border with one of the worst towns on LI. The police manage to keep things civil enough, but those areas close to the border have higher crime rates and lower values, in addition to nuisance "pass through" traffic that likes to vandalize en route to the mall. I grew up in GC and lived in Manhasset for many years as well, Manhasset is just a nicer town. More "old money" than GC, which lately seems to be populated with lots of nouveau riche dickbags with GC soccer stickers on the back of their Cayennes.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:03 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
GC, which lately seems to be populated with lots of nouveau riche dickbags with GC soccer stickers on the back of their Cayennes.
My DH's comment about a year before we left was "I'm seeing too many pickup trucks to keep living here"

I don't disagree with you. Read the police blotter and the police patrol Clinton Ave like it's the Rio Grande. We lived in the west which minimized that issue - didn't really even look east of the estates.

We looked (briefly) in Manhasset too, but most things being equal, it made more sense to buy in GC when we both had family there.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:05 PM

796 posts, read 1,756,719 times
For GC I highly recommend the West side (west of Rockaway Ave) than the east side. The West side is closer to NYC, has more train stations, and Stratford Elementary School which is superior to Stewart (Stratford is on a very nice & quiet street, Stewart is on the very dangerous Clinton-Stewart intersection).

However, I find the main problem of Garden City is that its an island of wealth. All the bordering towns (New Hyde Park, Mineola, Garden City Park & South, Franklin Square, West Hempstead, & Stewart Manor) are just average, with parts of Hempstead being fairly dangerous. After travelling about a mile North or South anywhere in the village (because GC is very wide, but not very long), you are somewhere that's not so nice.

Maybe try Rockville Centre, Roslyn, East Williston, or Glen Head

Last edited by Peppin0; 07-16-2012 at 08:14 PM..

Old 07-17-2012, 05:03 AM

15 posts, read 37,508 times
Yes, Garden City is simply horrible. It used to be a lot better when the other posters lived here or knew someone who lived here heavens knows when. Too bad you can't buy a time machine so you can buy exactly when they did because it was a good decision then.

But now it's awful. Don't move here, please. Especially if you're thinking about getting a pickup truck which will apparently offend some of the neighbors LOL.

But seriously, there are a lot of stay at home mothers in Garden City and less of them in Manhasset. So whatever choice your family has made, take that into consideration.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:10 AM

37 posts, read 136,413 times
Default We love Manhasset

We just moved to Manhasset and love it. The community is great. The commute is great also. Many things to do and Port Washington is awesome too. I think the surrounding towns are much better around Manhasset. We looked in GC also and loved that the houses were more affordable, but it seem very Waspy to us. You won't go wrong in either town though. Ultimately, it comes down to where you all feel the most comfortable.

I would strongly advise visiting the schools. We visited Munsey Park Elementary and loved it. We did not get the same fuzzy feeling about PW, but the kids in those schools do very well. I would also echo the other posters comment about spending a weekend. Go to the playgrounds, go to events in the town, libraries, and restaurants. It's very helpful.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRANDYNYC View Post
Thank you all for the very helpful information. I would love to spend a weekend in each town but I can barely get away for a few hours to look at houses with four little ones! There doesn't seem to be many big (4 bedrooms) houses in GC in the one million range. The majority of houses are on the small side and need updating. I'm finding that one mill doesn't get you too much in either town! It seems crazy to me that one mill doesn't get you much if you want to be close to NYC. Should I be looking at another town, beside Port Washington? GC does seem to have more going on as a community over Manhasset. Manhasset seems to be a little more "stick-to-yourself". I could be wrong on that but it's the impression I'm getting. Would you agree?
No, I never got that impression at all about Manhasset. I think it is just more neighborhood focused.

A little shopping hint from one who is also in the market at your price point. Look at homes above your price point too. Especially now that we are going later into summer. Those who NEED to sell will be more willing to deal. Also try to get the selling price below 1 million to avoid the "mansion" tax and save yourself some money which can be better used towards other things.

You do pay a premium to be close to Manhattan with good rail service.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:00 AM

Check out 26 Summit Dr Manhasset. New Listing. Don't turned off by the listing price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island