Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 06:36 PM

79 posts, read 136,600 times

Advertisements

1. Corruption
2. State income tax rates that dis-proportionally benefit the the rich.

You guys voted for Cuomo. His latest tax cut gives middle class earners a .2% to .4% decrease while those earning 300,000 to 2 million a reduction of 1% to 2%! That's an 5x bigger tax break for the rich!!! But hey, at least he's got a good Italian name we can trust!

New personal income tax rates in New York State began January 1, 2012
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 09:09 PM

7,895 posts, read 9,098,749 times
Um, income taxes are different than property taxes. Income taxes are paid based on your income and assets. Property taxes are paid based on a percentage of your home's value. Most of the property taxes are due to school and police costs.

But thanks for your indepth discussion. Are you studying economics at Virginia Commonwealth?

Old 07-18-2012, 09:37 PM

79 posts, read 136,600 times
um ok.

I found a breakdown for dummies

How Did Property Taxes Get So High? - www.hvpropertytaxreform.org
The Full Answer - www.hvpropertytaxreform.org

Old 07-19-2012, 05:21 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,982,022 times
Wonderful, a pamphlet advocating state income tax "relief" for "those who most need it." In other words, higher taxes for Long Islanders and lower taxes for those in Podunk County on Lake Erie. The city and LI already donate wildly disproportionately to the state and get back a tiny portion of what we put in. THAT is why our school and property taxes are so high. We maintain a high standard on OUR OWN DIME while subsidizing the rest of the state AND meeting unfunded mandates from Albany. Thus, the silly (or not so silly) threads about LI seceding to form it's own state. Me thinks they can take their goofball circuit omnibus (what the hell is that?!?) i.e. "tax those who need relief to help those who need relief" and stick it. On a federal level, I'm all for going back to the Clinton tax rates and closing loopholes to level a playing field that was slanted against the middle class 30+ years ago and is currently dividing and decimating the country. However, locally, LI has been the cash cow for the state long enough. Rochester and Albany are doing just fine. Keep them the heck out of my pocket.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:16 AM

1,284 posts, read 1,644,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaZombieDrivers View Post
The amount of state aid varies wildly among school districts. The majority of my property tax bill is from the school tax which in turn is 80% wages and benefits for school personnel. My SD receives less than 1% of it's budget from the state.

So, let's see if you can figure out how my property taxes got so high.

Old 07-21-2012, 06:18 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,155,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrlongisland View Post
The amount of state aid varies wildly among school districts. The majority of my property tax bill is from the school tax which in turn is 80% wages and benefits for school personnel. My SD receives less than 1% of it's budget from the state.

So, let's see if you can figure out how my property taxes got so high.
Exactly! My district, which has had a 10% DECLINE in enrollment over the past 8 years, spends $76M for 2150 students! We have a gym teacher making $145,000! Complete insanity!

Long Island needs to consolidate its school districts. For example, in Nassau County, the current 54 districts could be reduced to 5 or 6 large districts, thereby eliminating 45+ $300,000 a year Superintendents, $175,000 a year Asst. Superintendents, etc.

In many other states, school districts are by COUNTY.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:09 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,117,630 times
Mongoose,
Given the Island's population, wealth and education why is this so? I'd figure that there would be some political weight the Island could use to alleviate the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Wonderful, a pamphlet advocating state income tax "relief" for "those who most need it." In other words, higher taxes for Long Islanders and lower taxes for those in Podunk County on Lake Erie. The city and LI already donate wildly disproportionately to the state and get back a tiny portion of what we put in. THAT is why our school and property taxes are so high. We maintain a high standard on OUR OWN DIME while subsidizing the rest of the state AND meeting unfunded mandates from Albany. Thus, the silly (or not so silly) threads about LI seceding to form it's own state. Me thinks they can take their goofball circuit omnibus (what the hell is that?!?) i.e. "tax those who need relief to help those who need relief" and stick it. On a federal level, I'm all for going back to the Clinton tax rates and closing loopholes to level a playing field that was slanted against the middle class 30+ years ago and is currently dividing and decimating the country. However, locally, LI has been the cash cow for the state long enough. Rochester and Albany are doing just fine. Keep them the heck out of my pocket.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:55 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,953,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Exactly! My district, which has had a 10% DECLINE in enrollment over the past 8 years, spends $76M for 2150 students! We have a gym teacher making $145,000! Complete insanity!

Long Island needs to consolidate its school districts. For example, in Nassau County, the current 54 districts could be reduced to 5 or 6 large districts, thereby eliminating 45+ $300,000 a year Superintendents, $175,000 a year Asst. Superintendents, etc.

In many other states, school districts are by COUNTY.
I have been advocating this for years! Currently, on our Island, the population stands at 58,000 persons.
THREE bloody school districts with enrollments dropping every year! One district for each of the three towns... well two towns and one little city.

The Island is only 17 miles long and at it widest, about 4 miles.

85% of my tax bill is for the school district!!!

Old 07-21-2012, 04:36 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,155,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
I have been advocating this for years! Currently, on our Island, the population stands at 58,000 persons.
THREE bloody school districts with enrollments dropping every year! One district for each of the three towns... well two towns and one little city.

The Island is only 17 miles long and at it widest, about 4 miles.

85% of my tax bill is for the school district!!!
Actually, we've got two little cities in Nassau, Long Beach and Glen Cove, but I don't see why they couldn't be rolled into a Town-wide system. I was horrified to learn that the weenie little Island Park SD which has ONE elementary school and ONE middle school has its own school board and a Superintendent earning $230,000! What a racket!

Put all of the union teachers under a town-wide contract. If one school has declining enrollment and another increasing enrollment, then they should be able to be moved around. You could still maintain the old HS Varsity teams and neighborhood "flavor" but the fat at the top needs lap-band surgery! In addition, there should be SCHOOL CHOICE .

Old 07-21-2012, 05:12 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,953,139 times
For LI, there should be two school districts. Nassau and Suffolk.

And the first Nassau district I'd pull apart in a NY minute...........Roslyn!

I'm still furious.

There'd be more buses because of the high schools.. but they're a helluva lot cheaper than all the overpaid district admins!! I do believe in neighborhood elementaries.......and reassigning teachers.

Seriously, a county wide district is the only way I can foresee any chance of tax equalization amongst all the communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island