Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2012, 11:55 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
You are correct but, can you really blame someone that is trying to survive? If the Americans did their part then these people wouldn't come.
How is it the Americans part to take care of those in other countries (before they illegally immigrate here) when we have enough trouble caring for indigent USCs in places like Appalachia?
It is much easier for other countries to turn a blind eye at their poor and uneducated fleeing to the US than it is to invest their own resources to improve the lot of their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 12:09 PM

70 posts, read 95,340 times
More guard towers on the boarder if they jump the fence shoot to kill.

Last edited by Racing is a thrill; 07-20-2012 at 12:53 PM..

Old 07-20-2012, 12:33 PM

909 posts, read 1,837,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Yeah, let's see them crunch the numbers and see if the illegals are actually "costing" us so much in health care blah, blah blah vs. the costs they reduce by doing the labor jobs Americans will not take (at almost ANY price, contrary to popular hyperbole). The ENTIRE agribusiness industry is dependent on illegal labor. That's why it doesn't change and neither side do anything about it. The repubs need the cheap labor, the dems like the votes. Win win for the politicos. We pay out both sides, except if you think our trade deficit is bad now, try deporting all the pickers and see how competitive our agriculture exports will be then. Welcome, big big time recession. If it was all about mowing lawns and hanging sheetrock (and in part, it is), something would and could easily be done. Even amnesty is a red herring because then we'll have to pay min. wage and benefits. Farming is already the most subsidized debacle in our economy next to big oil (corn for ethanol, tax subsidies for mega-farms, etc). When it comes to biting the bullet to decimate agribusiness, good luck with that. When the numbers get worked out, those emergency room visits and food stamps might just be a drop in the bucket by comparison.

America was built on cheap and/or slave labor. Fundamental foundations like that change slowly if at all. If it mattered, we'd enforce immigration laws and we'd be most of the way weaned off oil by now (like we left coal before that). Takes 100 years of dedicated effort to make these kinds of changes and frankly, the effort hasn't even started. Just alot of political hay and diversionary race baiting.

You are a very smart man. Thanks for that eloquent post.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
How is it the Americans part to take care of those in other countries (before they illegally immigrate here) when we have enough trouble caring for indigent USCs in places like Appalachia?
It is much easier for other countries to turn a blind eye at their poor and uneducated fleeing to the US than it is to invest their own resources to improve the lot of their own.
These people are the victims not the problem. The US should have stopped giving aid to other countries long ago. Blame your fellow Americans who want their cake and eat it too.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:57 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
These people are the victims not the problem. The US should have stopped giving aid to other countries long ago. Blame your fellow Americans who want their cake and eat it too.
The criminal breaking into a home is not the victim, the homeowner is. Someone overstaying their visa or entering the country illegally is committing a criminal act. They are making a deliberate decision to remain here and remain in violation of immigration law.

I am not a fan of foreign aid -- especially when it is going to countries which loathe us, or are recipients of corporate outsourcing -- like India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1
...If the Americans did their part then these people wouldn't come.
I am trying to better understand what you meant by 'if the Americans did their part.'

Old 07-20-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
The criminal breaking into a home is not the victim, the homeowner is. Someone overstaying their visa or entering the country illegally is committing a criminal act. They are making a deliberate decision to remain here and remain in violation of immigration law.

I am not a fan of foreign aid -- especially when it is going to countries which loathe us, or are recipients of corporate outsourcing -- like India.

I am trying to better understand what you meant by 'if the Americans did their part.'
The immigrants are doing what they are allowed to do. If the govt stepped up and enforced the laws then they wouldn't be hanging out on corners and scaring the whiteys driving to their "safe" neighborhoods. Since there isn't enforcement they are just trying to live. The neighbor who doesn't report illegal housing conditions also have to accept responsibility.

There has been burglars since the beginning of time. What makes these guys worse? People need to take care of there property.

I believe Mongoose broke it down very well why America has no other option but to accept these people and try and coexist with them. Not act all superior as if these people were animals.

I believe every word Mongoose wrote in this thread. I would love to see a rebuttal to his post.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:49 PM

222 posts, read 892,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Yeah, let's see them crunch the numbers and see if the illegals are actually "costing" us so much in health care blah, blah blah vs. the costs they reduce by doing the labor jobs Americans will not take (at almost ANY price, contrary to popular hyperbole). The ENTIRE agribusiness industry is dependent on illegal labor. That's why it doesn't change and neither side do anything about it. The repubs need the cheap labor, the dems like the votes. Win win for the politicos. We pay out both sides, except if you think our trade deficit is bad now, try deporting all the pickers and see how competitive our agriculture exports will be then. Welcome, big big time recession. If it was all about mowing lawns and hanging sheetrock (and in part, it is), something would and could easily be done. Even amnesty is a red herring because then we'll have to pay min. wage and benefits. Farming is already the most subsidized debacle in our economy next to big oil (corn for ethanol, tax subsidies for mega-farms, etc). When it comes to biting the bullet to decimate agribusiness, good luck with that. When the numbers get worked out, those emergency room visits and food stamps might just be a drop in the bucket by comparison.

America was built on cheap and/or slave labor. Fundamental foundations like that change slowly if at all. If it mattered, we'd enforce immigration laws and we'd be most of the way weaned off oil by now (like we left coal before that). Takes 100 years of dedicated effort to make these kinds of changes and frankly, the effort hasn't even started. Just alot of political hay and diversionary race baiting.
True Indeed.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
I believe Mongoose broke it down very well why America has no other option but to accept these people and try and coexist with them. Not act all superior as if these people were animals

You can accept them i won"t .

Old 07-20-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racing is a thrill View Post
You can accept them i won"t .
You can and you will...govt says so.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
You can and you will...govt says so.

I didin"t accept them in highschool and i won't now got me a few suspensions but oh well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island