Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 03:15 PM

2 posts, read 3,482 times

Advertisements

Wondering if anyone has recently bought a house while have credit card debt? My wife and i have a co-op now never paid late on mortgage or any credit card or regular bill, we are n the process of selling the co-op to buy a new house. We both have great credit (800+ and 760) and were wondering if anyone else was in our shoes. We just got married last september and $$$ got out of hand a bit quick but it was worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 03:53 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnlover View Post
Wondering if anyone has recently bought a house while have credit card debt? My wife and i have a co-op now never paid late on mortgage or any credit card or regular bill, we are n the process of selling the co-op to buy a new house. We both have great credit (800+ and 760) and were wondering if anyone else was in our shoes. We just got married last september and $$$ got out of hand a bit quick but it was worth it.

I had some credit card debt when I bought my house but it wasn't excessive. My mortgage broker advised to stop spending or pay cash if we absolutely wanted to buy something.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:08 PM

91 posts, read 270,621 times
I bought a home WITH a credit card, but not here on LI!

Old 07-23-2012, 05:18 PM

83 posts, read 254,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnlover View Post

How much CC debt do you have?

Old 07-23-2012, 05:58 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
As long as your debt to income ratio isn't out of whack for what you want to buy, you'll be fine.

We're talking long term debt...cc's, auto, etc.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:50 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
How recent are those scores and how current is the credit card debt and as the above poster said what is the debt to income ratio? I don't care how great the scores were before the $$$ got out of hand but a bank will decline you in a NY minute if the scores are not good, or there are too high balances in the credit cards.

Another thing to consider, if either of you has recently changed a job (company as opposed to a position) that can be a negative as they assume you may be let go. The sole concern on the bankers part is that you can and will be able to pay them back. The last thing they want is your house back.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:25 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
They also want to see 2 years at the same job, so many $$$ months worth of money sitting in the bank.........and don't forget about down payment and closing costs.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:03 PM

730 posts, read 1,658,115 times
Have you seen a lender to get pre qualified for a mortgage?

If you haven't - (especially since said you are selling your place), you should if you intend to buy another place.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:52 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
A lender will tell you right up front what kind of mortage you can get. It's all about how much money you have left over after the monthly debt is paid. Simple math. Try CNN money's affordable home calculator to get a ballpark number, then go get a prequal. You can do them online with some banks.

The problem you may run into is that they will probably not assume that your co-op will be sold, so that mortgage payment will factor into your debt until it's off your books. Also, if you choose to rent the co-op, a bank will not recognize rental income until you've been getting it for 2 years.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:01 AM

245 posts, read 495,647 times
I know that the more you, banks and CC companies look into your credit history the lower your score will become. They may be looking without you even knowing. I agree with paying down any credit cards you have now and paying cash as much as possible. And save (I know it hard) as much money as possible. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island