Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 02:35 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
But no one hangs out on their front porch watching all the children frolic in front of them in those two towns.
No, not too many front porches. However, at least in GC's case, the kids all play on sports teams with the kids they go to school with, because the teams are village-based, not Town-based (ie Huntington is a big town with a lot of school districts).

In the summer, kids can use the parks basically as a free day camp - kids spend the day there and the counselors set up games and stuff for them. Not bad if you need to get your kids out of your hair and they are old enough to make it to and from the park nearest your house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 02:37 PM

Renting in Garden City will be out of your budget, so if you really want to rent for a year, you might have to look at a surrounding town.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:36 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,704,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
No, not too many front porches. However, at least in GC's case, the kids all play on sports teams with the kids they go to school with, because the teams are village-based, not Town-based (ie Huntington is a big town with a lot of school districts).

In the summer, kids can use the parks basically as a free day camp - kids spend the day there and the counselors set up games and stuff for them. Not bad if you need to get your kids out of your hair and they are old enough to make it to and from the park nearest your house.
But I think the OP wants a neighborhood that has many kids with neighbors hanging out on front porches while the kids all frolic together. Dont think that has been the case since post WW2 baby boom days. I remember that as a kid in brooklyn...no A/C on those hot summer days..parents all hung out in front of the house, kids playing in the streets. Of course, there must have been 50 or more kids on the one block. I rarely see people hanging out in front of their houses anymore...especially on hot summer days.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:41 PM

^^^ I agree.

Now someone will come along and tell us we are wrong!

Old 08-02-2012, 06:31 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,990,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
But I think the OP wants a neighborhood that has many kids with neighbors hanging out on front porches while the kids all frolic together. Dont think that has been the case since post WW2 baby boom days. I remember that as a kid in brooklyn...no A/C on those hot summer days..parents all hung out in front of the house, kids playing in the streets. Of course, there must have been 50 or more kids on the one block. I rarely see people hanging out in front of their houses anymore...especially on hot summer days.
We all hung out on our street in Glen Head in the 50's. Nice little dead end street with 14 houses...12 of those with kids.

When we got too hot we'd all head for someone's basement - preferably a basement with a freezer full of ice pops!

There are tons of kids on my block now...but in the summer they are inside their air conditioned homes playing XBOX or what have you.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:30 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
Don't forget the two dogs.

That can be a problem finding a place to rent.
Excellent point! It'll definitely make it more difficult, as many homeowners simply don't want a pet, let alone two

Old 08-02-2012, 11:59 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,784,458 times
There is another poster who is also in your shoes. You might want to research the Home threads over at LIF for more info:

Glen Cove?

Old 08-03-2012, 01:10 AM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
I would also rent for while until you are more familiar with the various neighborhoods and your husband has done the commute in all 4 seasons to see how much he can handle. I think that's going to be biggest change for him to get used to. The road system is very different here and he may or may not be happy with using LIRR/subway/getting used to driving in snow. The dogs will limit your rental options, but at least your rental budget makes it feasible. LI is very kid/family friendly, but not too many streets left where kids go out and play in the road or on the sidewalk unsupervised, nor is that very safe. Folks may hang out in their backyards and invite a neighbor they have become friends with, but not too many hanging out in the front of their houses, and really not all that many porches either. You must also remember, we don't have CA weather here. It's really too cold and wet for outdoor activities for a good part of the year. Our summer heat is more uncomfortable because of the humidity so people are inside with the AC in the summer too. Most kids are involved in organized/supervised activities through the schools or town, sports leagues, summer camp, after school activities such as relgious school, dance, martial arts, music lessons, etc.

You may see more of your neighbors during the warmer months when they are watering their lawn, gardening, etc. but in the winter it is more of what you said, where people park their cars and then run into their house.

Edited to say: I see from your post on the NYC forum that you are originally from VA. Then you already know all about humidity.

Last edited by Coney; 08-03-2012 at 01:13 AM.. Reason: Edited to say, I see from your other post on the NYC you are originally from VA. Then you already know all about humidity.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:18 PM

721 posts, read 1,566,665 times
We hang out with our neighbors and the kids play with each other. We have like 20+ kids 6 and under on our street. We also walk to a nearby playground after school. Bus lets out and we walk over. I don't think it never happens. We also swim in each other's pools.

Also as an aside, I don't think it is unsafe for kids to play outside and the weather here is really not that bad. I just passed my neighbors' kids playing hockey in the cul de sac.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:05 PM

4 posts, read 10,320 times
I feel strongly about renting first. We bought a house without renting first on a previous move and now prefer to do it this way. Thank you for all of the suggestions.

Coney - I think you are confusing me with someone else, I am not originally from VA. I have lived in 4 states in the US and two of them had humidity and snow. While we don't have either at our house here, it won't be shocking.

redrunner+2 - where do you live?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island