Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 11:07 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,175,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
they should look "nearby" to NYC to compare their compensation.Talk about keeping crime down. The PBA strong arms everyone . As I have said it's a banana republic here on LI without the tropical weather.
Just what I was thinking.

And adjust it BELOW NYPD. Just like every other profession on LI is paid lower than those in NYC ... except cops and public school teachers.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
So true and I always wondered why this was. Why when you already make decent money would you want to run a side buisness and therefore be working all the time? Yet tons of cops do this.
If they didn't get more PTO than even LI's public school teachers, who are off all summer and have many vacations, they wouldn't be able to do this.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Some more information on the contract I have not seen before, not sure this is a good deal, Suffolk needs a complete analysis before they approve this.

"...Bellone announced this week, base salaries will rise by a compounded total of 12 percent between June 2013 and June 2016. On top of these increases, however, the leaked memo indicates there will be at least three separate base salary increases starting in January 2013, plus added longevity increments. In addition, base pay will be boosted with a total of 60 hours in added "compensatory time."
Officers on the payroll in 2014 and 2015 will defer some of that comp time until retirement -- at which point the accumulated value will be reimbursable at their final (higher) pay rates, on top of what typically comes to tens of thousands of dollars in accrued sick time. To help retiring cops cope with the tax consequences of their growing severance packages, the county also would agree to create a new tax-sheltered "severance deferral" savings account for PBA members.

.... It could never again transfer or subcontract any PBA function to other workers without the union's permission. And it would pledge not to lay off PBA members.
The leaked version of the agreement further stipulates that these benefits "shall be considered mandatory subjects in all future negotiations." Under the state Taylor Law, contractual provisions classified as "mandatory subjects of negotiation" are extremely difficult to dislodge or modify. In other words, the PBA would not only gain ironclad job security for cops for the next eight years, it would take a big step toward keeping it forever. "

Suffolk police pact still leaves questions - E.J. McMahon
What I bolded is especially poison!

Old 08-16-2012, 11:19 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,932,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
It's not jealousy based on the fact that someone achieved more than you..they aren't Nobel prize physics wizzes or entrepreneurs who started succesful business. It's simply a system that is slanted towards certain public employees who end up very well off, while everyone else has to foot the bill.

The major problem with New York State in a nutshell. You're not paying massive taxes to fund an extensive and supportive wellfare state..you're paying massive taxes so Joe the Cop and Sally the Teacher can retire before you and make more income per year in pension per year than you will while you're still working 40 hours per week at 65. They then try to turn it into a class warfare argument..."it's Wall Streets fault!!".

No, my property taxes and the sales taxes I pay are not Wall Streets fault, they are directly paying your salaries and pensions. I rail against Wall Street as well because the regular middle class person is taking it from both ends. The cops and teachers are not middle class heros saving good jobs for my kids (as the new Police contract proves, they screw the new guys)..they are simply concerned with making the most money possible from a tax payer that has little or no recourse against them because the system is so screwed up.

And then on top of that, especially with the police, they are really arrogant about it.

Really? Then why was my father pitching a ***** in the 60's-70''s and 80's about high taxes and the high tax rate of NYS and especially Nassau county's added rate?

Back then the L.I. cops were making less than their counterparts in NYC. There were fewer, they weren't making as much and their pensions were garbage yet L.I. had the highest taxes and highest tax rate in the NATION.

Man some people are clueless about things

Last edited by BigMike50; 08-16-2012 at 11:44 AM..

Old 08-16-2012, 01:37 PM

7,801 posts, read 10,059,736 times
Apparently the Legislature wants to scrap the entire proposed contract.

This was a really, really stupid move on the part of the SCPD PBA. Did they really think that a little over a month after 300 Suffolk County government workers were laid off they could come out with a proposal that would result in officers being paid close to $200,000/year and have it be accepted by the already taxed to the max Suffolk County taxpayers?

How arrogant of them. I hope they are forced to accept zeros for every year of the new contract and then a .1% raise for the final year.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Apparently the Legislature wants to scrap the entire proposed contract.

This was a really, really stupid move on the part of the SCPD PBA. Did they really think that a little over a month after 300 Suffolk County government workers were laid off they could come out with a proposal that would result in officers being paid close to $200,000/year and have it be accepted by the already taxed to the max Suffolk County taxpayers?

How arrogant of them. I hope they are forced to accept zeros for every year of the new contract and then a .1% raise for the final year.
And the political weasels scurry to their holes ...

Nothing like a Newsday front page story on "The $200K Cop."

Old 08-16-2012, 03:56 PM

56,810 posts, read 25,754,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I would like to know how much they have contributed to their pension in those 20 years vs. how much the taxpayers will be on the hook for over the course of their retired lifetime. Figure that guy retiring at 48 has to have at least another 25-30 years left in him.

He probably paid nothing into his retirement if he has been working 25 years and retired, also nothing for health care and now he has both for life.

Police hired before June 30, 2009 pay nothing into their retirement (Tier 4),

Tier 5 hired before March 31, 2012 pay 3% for 32 years or until retirement unless superceded by a local bargaing agreement.

Tier 6 April 1, 2012 starts at 3% and moves up based on salary.

NYSLRS — Police and Fire Plan for Tier 1, 2, 5 & 6 Members & Tier 3 Members Covered by Article 11 (Sections 375-b and 375-c)

Old 08-16-2012, 05:34 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,718,438 times
A contract with Omni Consumer Products for some RoboCops might actually be cheaper

$200k/yr x 30 years= $6,000,000.00
$140k/yr pension x 30 more yrs = $4,200,000.00
$Healthcare for Life = $2,000,000.00
------------------------------------
$12,200,000.00 for 1 Officer

Old 08-16-2012, 08:39 PM

1,761 posts, read 3,207,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
A contract with Omni Consumer Products for some RoboCops might actually be cheaper

$200k/yr x 30 years= $6,000,000.00
$140k/yr pension x 30 more yrs = $4,200,000.00
$Healthcare for Life = $2,000,000.00
------------------------------------
$12,200,000.00 for 1 Officer
the robocop won't require a paid day off for donating blood either, yet another benefit (on top of those 26 sick days a year)
My company requires using personal time if you donate blood at work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island