Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 12:54 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,655,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
Ha, ha!

If they gave them away, bet you they'd find an "environmental issue" to squawk about.

It gets their name in the paper, noise is the only thing a "activist" produces.
Damn right. Just get a kick on controlling other people's property and lives. It happens in NYC, too, but not as badly. It amazes me when people in Manhattan complain about crowding and noise...like they currently live in a field in Kansas. Illogical and loving it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 01:28 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,507,335 times
Tell you the truth I'm glad this didn't happen...enough freaking malls already.

Old 10-04-2007, 01:43 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,655,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Well, this was to be mixed-use, which LI could use more of, plus it would spruce up a huge area that is not exactly the greatest. I just think the positives FAR outweighed the negatives.

Old 10-04-2007, 05:09 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,675,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
Man, those are nice, but that one of the water is really nice. What a view.

Well, you know me, I loves me a good ghetto...it was quite a selling point for me.
Im just messin with you GC

That waterfront is sweet though.
I wish I had 800k

I kinda feel bad for you....its like you finally get out of Queens, and your back in Queens.

My uncle took the plunge...he came from Douglaston and loves it out here.

C

Old 10-04-2007, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Could it really be any worse than it is now?

You could put up a parking lot and it would be an impovement.

Id be jumping up and down for new strip malls if I lived there.

C

Old 10-04-2007, 06:37 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,507,335 times
Well yeah, of course it could be a lot worse. I think the current blighted small time city look is way more aesthetically pleasing than "The Source Jr." would be. Look at all the new development in Queens, it's all disgusting to look at. Give Hempstead a few years, it will be "the new East Village" by 2030.

Anyone know how long Hempstead has been this way? I know it was really nice at least up until the 50s when it was a prime shopping destination for city folk. I assume the shopping malls were what killed it. I remember there being a large Korean population there when I was younger.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:19 PM

7,922 posts, read 9,146,005 times
Give Hempstead a few years, it will be "the new East Village" .[/quote]

I was thinking more like San Salvador

You can't deny the fact that Hempstead's Hispanics are driving out the black population. Most new stores in Hempstead are privately owned by the recent Hispanic immigrants.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Well yeah, of course it could be a lot worse. I think the current blighted small time city look is way more aesthetically pleasing than "The Source Jr." would be. Look at all the new development in Queens, it's all disgusting to look at. Give Hempstead a few years, it will be "the new East Village" by 2030.

Anyone know how long Hempstead has been this way? I know it was really nice at least up until the 50s when it was a prime shopping destination for city folk. I assume the shopping malls were what killed it. I remember there being a large Korean population there when I was younger.
Perhaps you picked up one of the crackpipes on the sidewalk there.

Next stop...Uniondale.

C

Old 10-05-2007, 01:00 AM

1,919 posts, read 7,106,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
Im just messin with you GC

I kinda feel bad for you....its like you finally get out of Queens, and your back in Queens.

C
C, I don't think you understand how insulated GC is, despite Hempstead. When in your home in GC, in your neighborhood, or shopping in GC, Hempstead practically doesn't exist. Unless you border it, literally border it, it just is a whole separate entity.

So as much as this would have been nice, it doesn't mean this not happening will make things worse for GC. I do wish it would have happened, if there was any chance to improve Hempstead and turn it around somehow.

Old 10-05-2007, 01:04 AM

1,919 posts, read 7,106,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
Possibly, to drive everyone resembling a middle class/working class person out of Nassau county, and to make it back into what it was prior to WWII - an enclave for the rich.
Can I ask you why you think they would want that to happen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island