Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How Much Are You Paying Coop Fees
$300-500 0 0%
$500-700 1 25.00%
$700-1,000 3 75.00%
Over $1K 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 01:20 PM

364 posts, read 1,978,963 times

Advertisements

How much are you paying for maintenance fees?

I'm in the market for a coop. I was quoted $1K for a 2bd coop in westbury which includes: all utilities, parking and taxes. Seems very high although I'm aware that property taxes in LI are significantly higher.

I know that all coops are different, but this will help me see the broader picture by area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 01:30 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,656,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJones View Post

I'm in the market for a coop. I was quoted $1K for a 2bd coop in westbury which includes: all utilities, parking and taxes. Seems very high although I'm aware that property taxes in LI are significantly higher.

I know that all coops are different, but this will help me see the broader picture by area.
I tell you what...this is not cheap, but if it's all in, in a brand new building, this is not the end of the world. You have to think that some of this is like the building's mortgage (hence co-op not condo), plus relatively high taxes on a new res. unit, plus relatively high utility costs, plus parking. I wouldn't say it's too out of line, but I'm sure older buildings may be a better deal.

Old 10-04-2007, 01:38 PM

Agree. Thanks for sharing your opinion.

The building is not brand new. The highest number I've found online for other 2bdr in the area is $875. As I go now and look at more places in nearby towns, i hope to gather some additional data here.

Something interesting i've found is that older buildings might not have high fees because they might not even have a mortgage anymore. Nevertheless, the older the structure gets, the higher the risks are for major repairs when they actually happen.

Thanks.

Old 10-04-2007, 03:33 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,277,348 times
I think condos are a much much better deal.

Old 10-04-2007, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I think condos are a much much better deal.
Well, I have read tons of info about pros&cons between condos and coops. In what way do you personally favor condos?

Old 10-05-2007, 09:28 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,156,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJones View Post

That seems about right for monthly maintenance(M/M). Keep in mind that once a year, January for me, that you get the STAR Program discount for that month. Therfore Jan's M/M is like $100. And as you mentioned this inludes taxes, heat, water/sewage, lawn care, swimming pool, parking, security, gym etc. If you look at it like that its not a bad deal. Especially when tax's alone out here are $700 a month and heating bills are $500 in a cold winter.

Old 10-05-2007, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
That seems about right for monthly maintenance(M/M). Keep in mind that once a year, January for me, that you get the STAR Program discount for that month. Therfore Jan's M/M is like $100. And as you mentioned this inludes taxes, heat, water/sewage, lawn care, swimming pool, parking, security, gym etc. If you look at it like that its not a bad deal. Especially when tax's alone out here are $700 a month and heating bills are $500 in a cold winter.
Hey Rocafeller05:

Thanks for sharing your opinion. I really need to figure how much of the quote I got will actually go to the taxes. But if taxes are as high as you say, then it will make sense.

Also, pardon my ignorance but....what is the STAR program

Old 10-05-2007, 04:54 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,277,348 times
pros&cons between condos and coops. In what way do you personally favor condos?Well, I have read tons of info about

Condos have much lower maintainance fees and you own your own place (except for the outside). I don't think that there are very many coops on LI. Maybe a few in Huntington Village and Babylon Village , in older buildings. I think that condos sell for more than coops.

Old 10-06-2007, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
pros&cons between condos and coops. In what way do you personally favor condos?Well, I have read tons of info about

Condos have much lower maintainance fees and you own your own place (except for the outside). I don't think that there are very many coops on LI. Maybe a few in Huntington Village and Babylon Village , in older buildings. I think that condos sell for more than coops.
Yes, you are correct. At least, based on my research and the information given to me by my agent, YES: condos sell quicker and have lowe maintenance fees.

Based on the information given to me, condos are priced much higher than coops for a similar amount of space. Plus in coops you can use your maintenance fees for tax reductions.

Those are the main reasons why I am looking for coops.

But you have a very good point about condos since you own real estate when you buy them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island