Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 11:05 PM

11 posts, read 15,211 times

Advertisements

My house has been on the market since November . It is in the south shore , five towns area . It is a high ranch. Please tell me , has the housing market improved ? I keep lowering the price and I still have not found a buyer . Is this what is going on for everyone ? I would like to hear what others are going through ? I had people express interest and then last minute walk away. The news say that it is improving , yet my neighbor's house is for sale over 2 years and is still sitting there . Does anyone have positive input on this. I believe it will get better day by day . But what is everyone experiencing . I already moved 9 months ago. I thought I would have sold it by now. I had actually rebuilt the entire house before I moved , it was expensive . I spnet over 200,00 and it still can't sell . I thought I would get the money I put into it and make it easier to sell. I can't drop the price much more .I will lower it a little , but I can't give it away . Any ideas on what can speed up the sale ? Thanks everyone . Gianni
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 12:13 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiannidaNewYORK View Post
My house has been on the market since November . It is in the south shore , five towns area . It is a high ranch. Please tell me , has the housing market improved ? I keep lowering the price and I still have not found a buyer . Is this what is going on for everyone ? I would like to hear what others are going through ? I had people express interest and then last minute walk away. The news say that it is improving , yet my neighbor's house is for sale over 2 years and is still sitting there . Does anyone have positive input on this. I believe it will get better day by day . But what is everyone experiencing . I already moved 9 months ago. I thought I would have sold it by now. I had actually rebuilt the entire house before I moved , it was expensive . I spnet over 200,00 and it still can't sell . I thought I would get the money I put into it and make it easier to sell. I can't drop the price much more .I will lower it a little , but I can't give it away . Any ideas on what can speed up the sale ? Thanks everyone . Gianni
Not enough information.
Do you have the MLS # so we can look at it?

Has the market improved? More houses are selling overall, yes, and prices (for the most part) are stabilizing; in a few areas prices are still declining a bit.
Also, FYI, putting in $$ does not equal getting the same $$ back upon selling --generally it should make it easier to sell though.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:05 AM

886 posts, read 2,647,354 times
Simple.Few people are buying houses. We live in the "Country Village" area of East Islip where homes sold in as little as one week a few years ago. Now there are so many homes available one could drive down the streets and find a half dozen signs. There is a very clean split level four from us that started at $429k in April and is now $379k and they had ONE looker on Sunday's open house.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:44 AM

654 posts, read 2,120,758 times
Hi Gianni-

I believe I did find your home on MLS as an old listing with Coldwell Banker.

I was not able to find it anywhere else. That could be your first problem. You need to be visible and cannot keep it a secret that your home is for sale. I also noticed that when you had it up with a Realtor you did not have any pictures of the inside of your home. Again, this is if we are talking about the same home) The front of your home is done very nicely, what about the inside. Buyers do a lot of shopping online before they pull the trigger and head out to see homes.

I could go on but we could possibily be talking about two totally different homes and I do not want to announce the street it is on without your permission.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:22 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,990,482 times
What's the MLS#?

Old 08-14-2012, 07:24 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,407,821 times
Its overpriced.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:28 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Its overpriced.
^^

Yup. It's not selling because you're not pricing it correctly. Very simple.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:30 AM

344 posts, read 717,866 times
This thread is a huge letdown and a complete tease without the MLS #.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:41 AM

89 posts, read 204,331 times
I know of 2 people who recently sold their homes within 2 months.They had their listing on many different real estate sites, with full photos of all rooms in the home. The price was right it was neither too high nor too low. They had an open house.Make your listing well known, put it on numerous sites.Advertise, put some pics up. Maybe your price is too high. In this market homes are selling for alot less.

In another instance, I know someone who has had their home for over a year and still no sale. The asking price was way too high and he refused to lower it.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:14 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
How desireable is Five Towns and how much is the asking price? If the price is out of reach and there are equivalent homes in other areas, it's going to be hard to sell your house. You said you put $200k into it so are you now selling the house for $500k-$700k? We really need more details and photos to provide better advice. I can tell you my house was up for sale for a long time. They were asking way too much and the house is small, not updated and the 2nd floor is not finished yet there were asking low $400's. It also wasn't widely advertised. It was listed with only one agency at the time and no "for sale" signs. After several months of no offers they started reducing the price and ended up coming down $100k so you may need to re-evaluate the assessment and asking price if you really want to sell your home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island