Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2012, 06:31 AM

111 posts, read 222,007 times

Advertisements

I wonder if someone would have the time/sunscreen/intestinal fortitude to set up camp right next to these people holding a large sign saying "THEY ARE SCAMMERS" with an arrow pointing at the "family"? That actually may be one of the most effective ways to get the word out, I'm thinking, if there were enough people doing it.

(But who has the time to do it, is the main question...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 09:19 AM

414 posts, read 805,522 times
Would be fun to follow them around and out them at every location too! Sadly, (well not really) I work for a living!

Old 09-18-2012, 09:01 PM

93 posts, read 138,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewdrop74 View Post
Has anyone seen the panhandler-man that stands with a sign about losing his job, needs help supporting his family - and his family is either standing there with him (wife & kid) at shopping plaza's & supermarkets? They are nicely dressed, with a stroller, and standing out by the street in this heat.

Is this like an organized scam? Anyone know who I'm talking about?
This may be a new trend, a new scam; I did not witness the individuals at the shopping plaza's & supermarkets, but at BJ's in Farmingdale, a couple of Hispanic men and their families on separate occasions during the very hot summer days. It is a very sad situation regardless the case, whether it is true or a scam, the poor innocent children running in the heat is very cruel if a scam. I'm sure there are organizations that can reach out and help the ones in such situations. The first incident, I passed them up, the second time I passed again, after seeing the kids all dirty and running in the hot sun, my heart broke, it was really hot, I turned around and gave them some money and water; whether it was a scam or not, I couldn’t see it, to the point tears ran down on my face. I don’t care what anyone says, we may have our shares of problems, to me "America is the greatest country in the world", this should not be happening at all.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:06 PM

1 posts, read 993 times
Exclamation Article on these "families"

Hi, I'm a reporter with the Long Island Press and I started looking into these people last summer. I've heard they are starting to appear again from a few different people but haven't seen them myself yet. I'd like to do a story on them before they are out in force and taking advantage of people again. If anyone has any information on where they are these days, anything would be helpful. Thanks!

Old 04-22-2013, 07:59 PM

216 posts, read 443,591 times
I was at Home Depot in Farmingdale, Route 110, on Sunday and saw them! Man, woman and small child, on exit ramp!

Old 04-22-2013, 08:23 PM

903 posts, read 3,566,083 times
I just saw them at Costco on 110 in Farmingdale/Melville last Monday afternoon around 4. I have seen them there before.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:54 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,189,052 times
It should be illegal to use a child as a begging tool.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:58 AM

377 posts, read 657,495 times
I just saw them recently at Sam's in Medford

Old 04-23-2013, 12:09 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,570,459 times
April showers bring May flowers and panhandlers.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:38 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,695,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpg53 View Post
Hi, I'm a reporter with the Long Island Press and I started looking into these people last summer. I've heard they are starting to appear again from a few different people but haven't seen them myself yet. I'd like to do a story on them before they are out in force and taking advantage of people again. If anyone has any information on where they are these days, anything would be helpful. Thanks!

They were at the Shop Rite in West Babylon about a week ago standing close to the exit that is on 109. The man was actually waving and calling out to people in cars. I ignored them.

I saw them last year a few times at the Wal Mart on 110.

I can't believe the cops don't do something about this! Having a child out there for hours while they beg for money, food, items is just crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island