Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2013, 11:40 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
No one should be bothering beggars.
I'll send them on over to stand on your sidewalk next time I run across one. Hope you have plenty of spare change to give them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
By trespassing on private property most times and by loitering. Panhandling/begging = neighborhood sucks in the minds of many. So its a quality of life issue.

Majority of times these are scams, especially by the families, since they want $$$ and dont take food.
Exactly! I'm not putting up with it in mine or where I shop regularly and neither is my neighbors.

The thing that scares me is I don't think these are bona fide families. I think they are organized groups of panhandlers using various pairings of children and adults. Read back on the thread and people have seen different "parents" with different "kids." This is even more unforgivable. What is this here on Long Island? The third world where this crap is common on every street corner and being a "beggar master" is an actual profession? This has got to stop and I say make them stop using children as live, captive begging tools first and foremost! It's humiliating and despicable.

If anyone on here approves of panhandlers, please post where you live/shop regularly and next time I see a panhandler I will pass on the tip of where he will be welcome to beg and will be sure to make some quick cash.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:22 PM

3,520 posts, read 5,703,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
Only in the minds of nimby dolts does panhandling=bad neighborhood. Prove it a scam and then proceed with the proper channels or stifle yourself

We'll make sure we round up the pan handlers and plop them all outside your local neighborhood stores....

Old 04-24-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
You know, I wonder what they would do if you handed them a grocery bag with items such as: 2 boxes of pasta, 2 jars of sauce, 2 cans of vegetables, bananas, a container of milk, some mac n cheese, etc but you opened each package so they can't resell it?

I don't know what's up with them, though. I'm sure the parents are druggies --- I mean, who else would stand outside for hours with a young child begging people for money? If they honestly need food, they can go to any food pantry or church and get help. If they are homeless, they can go to a shelter. There ARE jobs out there that the (assumed) "father" can do to make quick money.

Next time I see them out there, I will be making a call to 911. Is there some kind of emergency number to call for CPS?
Good for you! I will too if I see it.

The number to call for child abuse is a statewide 800 number registry in Albany that then sends the information down the line to the County involved. If you call the number in Albany, you obviously need to know names, addresses, etc.

I do not think it is necessarily always the parents doing this with their own children. I think there is an organized group of panhandlers mixing and matching kids and adults and sending them out to do shifts at different locations. Children should not be subjected to this.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
We'll make sure we round up the pan handlers and plop them all outside your local neighborhood stores....
Persistent ones by me got free rides courtesy of patrols to the Queens border (Merrick Blvd. past Hook Creek Blvd. is typical) until they just quit coming, but I see no reason not to mix it up a bit and take them elsewhere in Nassau where they would actually be welcome! I will suggest that once I get some locations.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:56 PM

414 posts, read 808,798 times
I agree, the ones that are so high and mighty to tell everyone else to mind their business, let the rest of us know where youi frequent, see how quickly you will start complaining. I gurantee not a one of them will respond to these requests. I for one have my camera handy, and will be snapping pics of these scammers and posting them for all to see and compare. Don't like it? I don't care.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veryangry View Post
I agree, the ones that are so high and mighty to tell everyone else to mind their business, let the rest of us know where youi frequent, see how quickly you will start complaining. I gurantee not a one of them will respond to these requests. I for one have my camera handy, and will be snapping pics of these scammers and posting them for all to see and compare. Don't like it? I don't care.
Great idea!

You know, most cellphones have cameras on them. People, if you don't know how to use them, now's the time to learn. We can create our own rogue's gallery of panhandlers!

Old 04-24-2013, 01:21 PM

414 posts, read 808,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Great idea!

You know, most cellphones have cameras on them. People, if you don't know how to use them, now's the time to learn. We can create our own rogue's gallery of panhandlers!
Eventually they will have nowhere to go once their pictures are seen by most.

Also, look at all the recent stories of these losers scamming people begging with their sob stories, and then just using it all for drugs. I would bet the majority of them you see out there begging are in the exact same boat. There are so many generous people out there, and so many places to get a free meal and clothing, there is no need to beg. We know that, they know that, yet someone people still give to these losers. People in need to not beg, they know where to go to get what they need. The scammers/drug addicts will continue as long as suckers keep handing their money over to them. We have the power to make it stop, people just need to wake up.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:36 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,728,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Persistent ones by me got free rides courtesy of patrols to the Queens border (Merrick Blvd. past Hook Creek Blvd. is typical) until they just quit coming, but I see no reason not to mix it up a bit and take them elsewhere in Nassau where they would actually be welcome! I will suggest that once I get some locations.

What "patrols"?? What are you talking about? And please don't tell me NCPD because that's not happening.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:36 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
You know, I wonder what they would do if you handed them a grocery bag with items such as: 2 boxes of pasta, 2 jars of sauce, 2 cans of vegetables, bananas, a container of milk, some mac n cheese, etc but you opened each package so they can't resell it?

I don't know what's up with them, though. I'm sure the parents are druggies --- I mean, who else would stand outside for hours with a young child begging people for money? If they honestly need food, they can go to any food pantry or church and get help. If they are homeless, they can go to a shelter. There ARE jobs out there that the (assumed) "father" can do to make quick money.

Next time I see them out there, I will be making a call to 911. Is there some kind of emergency number to call for CPS?
The "family" I saw one Sunday last Summer had set up in a shopping center immediately across the street from a church which houses a soup kitchen and food pantry. In fact, both are open on Sunday afternoons.

This is all about money and I would wager id you were to give them unreturnable food, they would dump it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island