Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 08:47 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
LOL! I just want to say I'm not agreeing with what he said Twingles, just that I thought it was funny, as I knew the flurry of responses it would provoke.

Of course there are plenty of Walmarts, Targets etc, here. I guess I just get tired of all the long island bashing here from those who moved away. Im glad others found a happier place, but those who moved away need to understand that not everyone shares their negative views of LI nor is NC, VA, FL etc. the lifestyle for everyone (low taxes and big houses aside). I dont consider you a LI basher btw, you are very even handed in all your posts about what you like and didnt like here.
I think I have a different perspective than most....I really never liked living on LI as an adult. I don't feel like I was "driven out" (not implying others did or that there is anything wrong with that - I've posted that I feel my kids would be driven out...that was a big factor in my husband agreeing to move). I genuinely agree that everyone should live where they are happy. And that doesn't mean it can't change. Maybe someone is happy on LI now while they have a great job in NYC that fulfills them, but they have their eye on someplace else for retirement. It's not really an "all or nothing" proposition. I think when these threads reach more than 5 pages we can agree we are probably going around in circles!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 09:18 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,166,021 times
Looking forward to getting off LI and getting down to the Charleston, SC area in the near future.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:24 AM

3,519 posts, read 2,822,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
I'm only open to living in a few places and most of them are in or surrounding New York City. The ones that aren't are still just as expensive. I don't get the legions of people who drool over indulging themselves in the fake luxury of some shimmering new exurban outpost in the vast cultural wastelands of America. I hate that everything costs a fortune here, but if I made the same amount of money somewhere with a much lower COL, what am I gonna spend it on? OOhhhh I've got $20k more to spend this year at Wal-Mart, Winn Dixie and Burger King! I can park my new leased pickup truck in the GARAGE instead of leaving an old Buick on the street!! Ooooh I think I'm getting a boner! How exotic!
This seems like the short sighted attitude other call arrogance...

Old 08-19-2012, 09:34 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,860 times
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean
I'm only open to living in a few places and most of them are in or surrounding New York City. The ones that aren't are still just as expensive. I don't get the legions of people who drool over indulging themselves in the fake luxury of some shimmering new exurban outpost in the vast cultural wastelands of America. I hate that everything costs a fortune here, but if I made the same amount of money somewhere with a much lower COL, what am I gonna spend it on? OOhhhh I've got $20k more to spend this year at Wal-Mart, Winn Dixie and Burger King! I can park my new leased pickup truck in the GARAGE instead of leaving an old Buick on the street!! Ooooh I think I'm getting a boner! How exotic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
This seems like the short sighted attitude other call arrogance...
That's the thing with this guy....He sometimes writes very informative posts (even if you don't agree with his point of view..they're still well written) and then he somehow posts ridiculous stuff like this Hard to figure out sometimes.......

Old 08-19-2012, 09:52 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I think I have a different perspective than most....I really never liked living on LI as an adult. I don't feel like I was "driven out" (not implying others did or that there is anything wrong with that - I've posted that I feel my kids would be driven out...that was a big factor in my husband agreeing to move). I genuinely agree that everyone should live where they are happy. And that doesn't mean it can't change. Maybe someone is happy on LI now while they have a great job in NYC that fulfills them, but they have their eye on someplace else for retirement. It's not really an "all or nothing" proposition. I think when these threads reach more than 5 pages we can agree we are probably going around in circles!
Exactly how I felt!

People are taking it as 'bashing' which is simply not usually the case. I loved growing up on the Island and so glad I did. Made me the person I'm today. Tell you the truth there was anywhere else I would've rather have grown up, but things have changed. I'm glad I found what I was looking for. A growing place with plenty of opportunities for myself and as well for the children.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:56 AM

97 posts, read 98,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Exactly how I felt!

People are taking it as 'bashing' which is simply not usually the case. I loved growing up on the Island and so glad I did. Made me the person I'm today. Tell you the truth there was anywhere else I would've rather have grown up, but things have changed. I'm glad I found what I was looking for. A growing place with plenty of opportunities for myself and as well for the children.
Maybe things have changed for you, and there aren't opportunities for you, but there are plenty of opportunities for many other people.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:09 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,771,626 times
Quote:

Agree Twingles, and I share the same concern with my child as you did with your kids. I dont want him to go away to school then come back here and be stuck in a basement apartment in his 20's because its so insanely expensive. Although we do love living here, I am a realist and would never rule out the possibilty of leaving one day (i certainly dont plan to retire here lol).

I just tired of the: "I hated LI and left, you should too or you are a moron" attitude that some (not all) posters seem to have.

Just as bad is the: "LI is the best place on the planet, and if you left you either couldnt afford it or are a moron" crowd.

Oh well people will be people I guess!

Old 08-19-2012, 11:19 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,771,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean

That's the thing with this guy....He sometimes writes very informative posts (even if you don't agree with his point of view..they're still well written) and then he somehow posts ridiculous stuff like this Hard to figure out sometimes.......
LOL! Its almost like its 2 different posters isnt it?

Old 08-19-2012, 11:21 AM

739 posts, read 1,848,312 times
My family lived in what is now East Massapequa for a few years and moved to Westchester when I was seven. My sister and her family have lived there now for twenty years. My immediate family (husband, kids) moved to SoCal in 2001 and to Oregon in 2006 when my husband retired. We just came back from visiting my sister and staying at her beach home in Southold. Here is my take on love-it-or-leave-it.

Long Island has so much to offer, which has been covered in other threads. What stops me in my tracks when I consider returning someday to be near my sister is the expense. The wine we regularly purchase here in Oregon for eight bucks was eighteen bucks out there. The sandwich rolls we buy from the supermarket at three for a dollar are three for $1.95 plus tax (no sales tax here in OR). Taxes are so much higher and if one is on a fixed income, that is a huge consideration, as are the electric bills, holy cow.

We knew we were in OR on our return because people smile. People are nice. In NY, well, people aren't. That said, we met some truly lovely people out on the North Fork. We also met some horrendous ones. One well-fed woman with her son and daughter-in-law were floating in the water and talking pretty loudly. I don't know what they were discussing but the older woman said, "It's no fun if the poor people have air conditioning. I want them to suffah". Seriously?

Oregon has its problems but overall it is so easy to live here. California has multitudinous problems but it was easier to live there too (and less expensive than NY, believe it or not, except for housing costs).

In conclusion, I'd have to say that I'll restrict my time in Long Island to annual visits which will be enjoyed tremendously. Live there? Uh, no.

Old 08-19-2012, 02:51 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
I 100% agree. Only WalMarts and boring suburbs away from the Big Apple. No culture or anything to do past the Outerbridge.
That's not true. There are lots of great cities across this country, plenty I'd like to visit. The ones I'd want to live in/around are nearly as pricey as New York, though. All the in-between masses might have some amount of "local flavor" intrinsic to every single place on earth, but their desirability is highly wrapped up in being able to afford a bigger house/TV/car/etc or some delusion about the kind of environment that's best for kids.

Quote:
No wrath, just laughs. Trust me, the last thing we want is this type of person moving out of NY. Someone who installs windshields for a living and doesn't own a home and pay property taxes:

1) isn't going to see a big jump in their income anyway, or a difference in the things that make a difference in COL;
2) probably IS shopping at Walmart anyway (always amazes me how these places are dissed on a regular basis, but somehow seem to thrive everywhere they are thrown up, including *gasp* metro NY).
How much of an increase did you see in your allowance for changing diapers and cooking your husband's dinner by moving south?

Sorry, I know that's rude - but give me an effing break. Last time I checked, your occupation was: nothing. If you've landed a sweet gig answering phones part-time or selling homemade jewelry on Etsy, my apologies... I wasn't aware. You got me - I don't own a home nor necessarily want to, but my contribution to the economy extends far beyond having popped out a few brats and spending my spouse's paycheck. Not that there's anything wrong with staying at home to raise the kids, but you're way out of your league trying to pull some holier-than-thou BS on me.

Surprising to say the least. I can't remember ever being anything but cordial - at worst - towards you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island