Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would LI be at the top of your short list of best places to live if taxes were equal across US?
Yes, LI would be near the top. 23 51.11%
No 22 48.89%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 03:12 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,723,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
We spent a week on FI last month (combining our family Summer visit with a vacation) and we talked about this very thing at length... could not agree more with your comments about congestion. Insane. Not to mention the costs of the privilege to cross a river and sit in traffic... My mind can't wrap around the fact that it seems to be getting worse and starting earlier - or I had blinders on accepting it for so long.

The other thing that stands out as you spend more time off the island is how grimy and dirty it is - you get to stare at unkempt overgrown weed infested medians with garbage right in plain sight as you wait and hope the cars in front of you will eventually move. I don't know what happened there, but it used to be "prettier"...
Agreed. It's one of those things you don't notice when you're only away from a weekend, but try spending a week out of town and coming back. It detracts some of the beauty from our beautiful parkways.

As for the tolls...

Old 08-16-2012, 03:15 PM

91 posts, read 201,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
you spend more time off the island is how grimy and dirty it is - you get to stare at unkempt overgrown weed infested medians with garbage right in plain sight as you wait and hope the cars in front of you will eventually move. I don't know what happened there, but it used to be "prettier"...

When my family first moved from Brooklyn to Nassau County in the late 90's, my dad would frequently point out how all the garbage and litter on the road stopped when you crossed from the Belt Parkway onto the Southern State. Now, that garbage and litter doesn't stop at the Queens border.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:36 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,325,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Tough call. Long Island is so large and diverse that some areas might make LI a best place to live, while others wipe out that thought completely.

I love my area, being near the water, the proximity (not so far, not too close) to NYC.
Dislike the traffic congestion, the entitled attitude of some of the people, the density creeping in from the west.

I'm going to vote no.
Same for me, too, however I might have voted 'yes' if I were someone whom loved the ocean despite what OhBeeHave said (which I totally agree). But I'm at home with woods, mountains, and lakes. So, unless one could make the LISound a large freshwater lake (with access to Upstate via CT), then I'd have to vote 'no'.

But because I travel to Europe from time to time, I really like being close to NYC's JFK & LGA. With the larger population there are many more concerts at Jones Beach & Westbury from which to chose. And there are so many movie theaters, shopping centers, etc.

However, for the record, taxes are actually pretty much the same already when one considers the property taxes by % of market property value (in the U.S. it ranges somewhere between 0.8% and 2.1% with most states somewhere between 1.4% to 1.8%). The taxfoundation.org uses median tax by median value so their numbers are a bit different. Property Tax Map | Tax Foundation

Sales taxes are pretty much the same (much lower than in Europe). Updated State and Local Sales Tax Data | Tax Foundation

The only two things that makes the NYC/LI area unpleasant for some is the income & wealth disparity (the NYC/LI area has some really mega-wealthy people and I think that bothers many people) and the traffic (but I'm guessing L.A. and Atlanta have it much worse).

Old 08-16-2012, 04:32 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Too hard to get on and off the Island, too much traffic, too much congestion, too much attitude. So nice to come and go from home and not worry about "oh my God, what's going to be the best way to get back on the Island? Lincoln Tunnel? Goethals? Outerbridge? Verrazano?" You can't solve the intrinsic geographical problem that IS Long Island.
what a silly thing to base your decision on. Is it really that hard to leave early/come home late? Is there not rush hour in other parts of the country?

And as a former GC elite who looked down upon those with pickup trucks and those poor slobs in the eastern section....did you really always travel to your destination via car?

Old 08-16-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
what a silly thing to base your decision on. Is it really that hard to leave early/come home late? Is there not rush hour in other parts of the country?

And as a former GC elite who looked down upon those with pickup trucks and those poor slobs in the eastern section....did you really always travel to your destination via car?
You must really love Long Island, because you don't seem to travel on/off it too much.

The bridges aren't only messed up at rush hour. At any point in the day, all bets are off. There's nothing worse than coming off exit 13 on the Turnpike, looking up and seeing traffic on the Goethols Bridge isn't moving. Granted, its less brutal over the winter, but its still nuts.

Often times the Staten Island Expressway/Belt Parkway combo is just one big parking lot. I won't even address the Geroge Washington Bridge

Who really wants to time their trip to arrive home at some ungodly hour, just to avoid the horrific traffic?

Edited to add: Who said Twingles based her decision soley based on traffic? For many people, their issue with Long Island isn't just COL, its QOL.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:52 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
You must really love Long Island, because you don't seem to travel on/off it too much.

It's sad, isn't it? So provincial.

Now I live in N.C., where I'm even more elite

Old 08-16-2012, 07:20 PM

745 posts, read 1,504,397 times
If all of the US had the same COL Long Island would rank behind SoCal for me. But LI would definitely be in the top five.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:10 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,766,425 times
These questions are so subjective, to some LI is a great place to live, to others it's terrible. Same goes for just about any other place.

As far as crossing the bridges/tunnels etc, that's exactly why I fly when I want to leave lol. But to me that small reason is far from a deal breaker.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
It's sad, isn't it? So provincial.

Now I live in N.C., where I'm even more elite

Old 08-17-2012, 06:12 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,141,532 times
While I think Long Island still has a lot going for it, it's just become too crowded to enjoy. It just isn't what it used to be.
I'd put it somewhere in the bottom of the top 20 best places to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island