Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would LI be at the top of your short list of best places to live if taxes were equal across US?
Yes, LI would be near the top. 23 51.11%
No 22 48.89%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 01:58 PM

97 posts, read 98,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
What do expect you went to U of R that place sucks. If you went to VCU that's the place...you would have had more of the college experience and party city. There is absolutely no nightlife on that side of Richmond( U of R ). But then again I would never ever compare the nightlife of any area to NYC.

Remember you can't party forever, eventually responsibilities catch up to you. If you want to compared the COL and QOL for the family then there's no comparison.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2
I disagree, the career opportunities being in NYC far exceed any I had in Richmond. The 2 are just not comparable. I'd rather pay a premium to be on LI and know that jobs are plenty then move to any 3rd rate city where we'd be another recession away from financial disaster.

You can't discount the opportunities to earn a paycheck.

Old 08-18-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigmet View Post
Name one.
The better question is name one that's appealing. The pacific northwest has its traffic issues and the grey weather all the time is rough, but it is gorgeous.

San Diego is amazing, but just as expensive, if not more than LI. Southern Florida is nice the the local economies are a mess and the job market is brutal. Flyover country holds no appeal to me.

Old 08-18-2012, 05:20 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,151,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Agree but those areas are hardly in the same urban category ad Washington dc, LA, Chicago, Atlanta etc. I think the poster was referring to suburban areas around major metropolitan areas (like NYC). All the cities above have traffic and congestion just as bad as LI.

Can you really compare Richmond to NYC or LA in terms of population and congestion? Not a chance.
Not for those reasons but I'd definitely compare Richmond to any of those cities to show that you can have a lot of the things people enjoy about large cities without many of the hassles that go along with it, like congestion and over population. And Richmond isn't the only medium sized city that can offer the amenities of a larger city but with easier access to them from the burbs. For me Atlanta, DC, Chicago and NYC are nice to visit, but I don't want to have to deal with the daily grind of living in their shadows.

A little video that scratches the surface of what medium sized cities have to offer.

River City (Richmond, VA) - YouTube

Let's remember that Long Island isn't NYC either. The Island is made up of some places that are truly wonderful surrounded by a sea of congestion, suburbs and strip malls. For the Island to really become a top place to live in my opinion it would need to be more self sustaining (not just a burb of NYC) and have less people ( or more small cities for them to live in). Both of which I don't see happening.

Old 08-18-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exrichmondback2LI View Post
I disagree, the career opportunities being in NYC far exceed any I had in Richmond. The 2 are just not comparable. I'd rather pay a premium to be on LI and know that jobs are plenty then move to any 3rd rate city where we'd be another recession away from financial disaster.

You can't discount the opportunities to earn a paycheck.
Hmmm, I've been down here for awhile and have never had an issue finding a well paying job in my field. I have had to commute an hour west for one but that was no big deal. One of the biggest hits we took was Circuit City going out of business but that was because of business decisions made before the tanking of the economy. Other than that we're seeing more startups again and larger companies moving back in.

May I ask what your major was and if you are now working in your field of study? I ask because I'm part of my companies interviewing team and always wonder about what recent grads are looking for.

Old 08-18-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
I think they were just talking about amenities like infrastructure and middle class affordable housing stock. I would add quality white collar jobs and access to higher education and in fairness Richmond, along with Charlotte, SLC and Pittsburgh can hold its own.
Exactly. I love a lot of things about Manhatten but found I really don't need it for work or play, so visiting a couple of times a year is good enough and I enjoy the heck out of those visits!
But then I also love hitting Morgantown WV which is a small city that looks like Mayberry during the day but has a crazy night life during college season (of which I'm too old to partake in )

Old 08-18-2012, 05:44 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,871,967 times
NYC may have more career opportunities but it also has more people looking for work. If you watched Chorus Line, the experience is pretty much like that. Richmond is home to large, profitable corporations like Altria, Universal Corp. and Genworth. Also financial institutions that are focused on the Southeast have a meaningful presence there - Sun Trust, Raymond James, Wachovia. Some NYC financial companies like Goldman, Barclays and Morgan Stanley are moving desk jobs to other mid-sized metropolises like SLC, Baltimore and Jacksonville. Depending on your field, you can be just as successful or even more successful in finding a job in those cities as you can in NYC.

I personally prefer the NYC area because of my field and our kids' preoccupations but I wouldn't downplay the other cities.

Old 08-18-2012, 06:02 PM

Looks like you know the area Forest. We're also seeing a rise in beltway firms that realize that their people don't need to be in the DC area to do the job.
One company you missed is the Martin Agency. Not big but it's making it's presence known in the ad business. Also we have a lot of medical and universities in the area which also employ quite a few people.

Old 08-18-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Hmmm, I've been down here for awhile and have never had an issue finding a well paying job in my field. I have had to commute an hour west for one but that was no big deal. One of the biggest hits we took was Circuit City going out of business but that was because of business decisions made before the tanking of the economy. Other than that we're seeing more startups again and larger companies moving back in.

May I ask what your major was and if you are now working in your field of study? I ask because I'm part of my companies interviewing team and always wonder about what recent grads are looking for.
My field is accounting, and I'm in financial services. Accounting is in demand everywhere but in NYC there are so many jobs it's incredible. The cost of living is more in NY, but my offers out of undergrad were $20k more in NYC.

I'm not surprised you haven't had a problem finding a job. It's not until you really need one that being in an area with lots of them counts. I'll take my chances where the jobs are.

The nightlife of a college town is nowhere near comparable to NYC either. I'd be a creep if I were to partake in a college towns nightlife. NYC has the nightlife for grow ups though

Old 08-18-2012, 06:28 PM

19,245 posts, read 17,117,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exrichmondback2LI View Post
I graduated from U of R a few years ago and couldn't wait to get back to LI. Richmond as a city is one of my least favorite cities. The nightlife is nothing compared to NYC, and the opportunities in the workforce pale in comparison.

I will agree that suburbs of Richmond are generally nicer (newer looking) than LI, but I'd take LI any day over Richmond suburbs because LI is the suburb to the greatest city in the world.

I'm very happy to be home :-)
There are very few cities that are on par with NYC that said it's obvious that you prefer the enviroment. Hope you didn't susffer while obtaining that U of R degree but i'm glad your back where you want to be.

Old 08-18-2012, 06:29 PM

19,245 posts, read 17,117,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
What do expect you went to U of R that place sucks. If you went to VCU that's the place...you would have had more of the college experience and party city. There is absolutely no nightlife on that side of Richmond( U of R ). But then again I would never ever compare the nightlife of any area to NYC.

Remember you can't party forever, eventually responsibilities catch up to you. If you want to compared the COL and QOL for the family then there's no comparison.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2
It really is a haul to get from U or R to the VCU mosh pit for the evening....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island