Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would LI be at the top of your short list of best places to live if taxes were equal across US?
Yes, LI would be near the top. 23 51.11%
No 22 48.89%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 06:23 PM

22,681 posts, read 36,836,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Sorry, but I actually thought you were all pathetic and classless.
To paraphrase Crooks "they're soaking in it".

Old 08-20-2012, 07:30 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,872,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exrichmondback2LI View Post
The article you posted states NYS has 24% of all securities jobs in the USA. That's my industry, I'll take my chances here ;-) you can take your chances with your "if's and but's and maybe's".
That's my industry also and I have a decade of experience in the sector and I am client facing so accountants such as yourself are employed to support me. What you're quoting is 24% of a SHRINKING securites job market. So while NYC has the biggest share, total number of jobs in the sector are down.

You don't like ifs and maybe's? Read this:

Wall St. Layoffs Take Heavy Toll on Younger Workers - NYTimes.com

Maybe if you leave your tooth under a pillow and make a wish, Evercore can hire as many people as Lehman and Merrill once did. Yeah, right!

Old 08-20-2012, 07:37 PM

97 posts, read 98,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
That's my industry also and I have a decade of experience in the sector and I am client facing so accountants such as yourself are employed to support me. What you're quoting is 24% of a SHRINKING securites job market. So while NYC has the biggest share, total number of jobs in the sector are down.

So you don't like ifs and maybe's? Read this:

Wall St. Layoffs Take Heavy Toll on Younger Workers - NYTimes.com

Maybe if you leave your tooth under a pillow and make a wish, Evercore can hire as many people as Lehman and Merrill once did. Yeah, right!
And the fact your bias is preventing you from seeing is that NYC is still the superior job market. I know from experience, 2 crap offers in Richmond, 5 excellent offers in NYC.

I don't support you, I make sure front office people are honest. I'll always have a job

Old 08-20-2012, 07:58 PM

/\/\

Shouldn't I then be biased FOR the securities market? I could, but the statistics don't lie so neither can I. Been through 3 of these cycles already so I can spot the trends before these events actually happen. I know, you've got a lot invested in your job so the facts may be hard for you to accept. Just because you couldn't land a good job in Richmond doesn't mean the market in NYC is superior. It only means other people who are more qualified got the job instead of you.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:15 PM

Quote:
/\/\

Shouldn't I then be biased FOR the securities market? I could, but the statistics don't lie so neither can I. Been through 3 of these cycles already so I can spot the trends before these events actually happen. I know, you've got a lot invested in your job so the facts may be hard for you to accept. Just because you couldn't land a good job in Richmond doesn't mean the market in NYC is superior. It only means other people who are more qualified got the job instead of you.
Can you really say with a straight face that the securities industry is better in Richmond than NYC?

Old 08-20-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
/\/\

Let me guess, you are looking to move out of the NYC metro area?

Old 08-20-2012, 08:30 PM

/\/\

You're missing the point! NYC's job market is hurting more precisely because it has a larger concentration of securities jobs - it is more dependent on the sector than Richmond, which is more diverse. The sector is shrinking. We can all see this in the numbers so there's no use denying this. If you're an accountant, look at the operating margins of Altria, Sun Trust and Universal Corp. Then look at the margins Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley and Citigroup. Whose margins are more consistently profitable? Maybe now you'll understand.

And no I have no plans of leaving NY. My specialization affords me opportunities outside securities if ever I want to get out of it.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:57 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,956,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exrichmondback2LI View Post
Let me guess, you are looking to move out of the NYC metro area?

Seriously Forest Hills is not turning this or making it a Richmond Vs. NYC thread Even I with my 3 hour Criminal Justice certificate from the prestigious Nassau Community College can see this . What exactly did they teach you @ UR, because this guy keeps crushing the spider but at least you have resilience kid even after being TKO'd

Old 08-20-2012, 09:14 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,151,936 times
Right. The question asked by pequat was if COL & taxes were equal would LI be one of the best places to live? I believe years ago it was but many other places now offer a lot of the things the Island does but with, less congestion and more accessibility. Richmond is given as just an example of a medium large city that offers these things because some of us are familiar with the place.
Sorry our town wasn't up to your standards kid, but you did try for a job down here and did go to school here, so we couldn't have been that bad eh?

Old 08-21-2012, 05:17 AM

38 posts, read 76,785 times
Quote:
I think they were just talking about amenities like infrastructure and middle class affordable housing stock. I would add quality white collar jobs and access to higher education and in fairness Richmond, along with Charlotte, SLC and Pittsburgh can hold its own.
Since I seem to have started this whole Richmond thing by asking that one poster to name an urban area with a lot of amenities, but not a lot of traffic (as he claimed existed), I do want to say that Pittsburgh can in fact fit in that category. I've heard a lot of complaints over the years that Charlotte traffic has become unmanageable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island