Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would LI be at the top of your short list of best places to live if taxes were equal across US?
Yes, LI would be near the top. 23 51.11%
No 22 48.89%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 11:24 AM

97 posts, read 98,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Have you been reading the news? His potential successors have already signed on with his vision for the city. The Cornell-Technion campus on Roosevelt Island is happening after he steps down. So is the development of the Flatiron district as a startup haven. All of that is pushing through. Do you think the majority of Long Islanders will have a place in all that? Are the academics and researchers in Technion and the technopreneurs in Flatiron going to buy homes in Deer Park? Massapequa? Wantagh? Think harder.

People with MS in Accounting and newly graduated won't be the partners in KKR. They won't be closing deals. All they care about at this point is how to get a paycheck, which is pretty reasonable. What else can you do outside of securities? Not much that will provide for stable income. You can do startups in silicon alley but that's not "stable".
Think harder? Because you mention 1 campus on Roosevelt island? Sounds like one of us needs to think harder, but it ain't me. More hyperbole by you.

Trust me pal, you won't be a partner in KKR. I know nothing about you but will guarantee that. I can move into any industry in a variety of functions.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:37 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,870,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exrichmondback2LI View Post
Think harder? Because you mention 1 campus on Roosevelt island? Sounds like one of us needs to think harder, but it ain't me. More hyperbole by you.

Trust me pal, you won't be a partner in KKR. I know nothing about you but will guarantee that. I can move into any industry in a variety of functions.
You're really not following the news. Cornell-Technion is only one example. NYU and Columbia are doing massive expansions. The hospitals are expanding. Silicon Alley - we all know what's going on. That is the future of NYC - academic, healthcare, media and tech startups. Didn't you know about this? That was charted by Bloomberg and will continue after he steps down. Accept this as something inevitable.

I wouldn't want to be a partner in KKR. That too is a shrinking industry. I agree, you can move into other industries but you won't be working in NYC unless it's something that pays less.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:38 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,765,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exrichmondback2LI View Post
24% of all securities jobs in the USA are in NYC - fact.
You believe LOndon has taken over NYC as finance capital? Ok... Opinion, but I'd rather be in NYC than Richmond LOL

Stamford is becoming a hub, yet another positive for being in NYc metro area
I've got to agree, I'd rather be in NYC than in Richmond too

But as far as NYC retaining the financial capital title, google world's financial capital and see the results. Not too favorable.

Stamford is a hub, but try commuting from LI or Jersey. Even heading to Stamford from NYC in a reverse commute is challenging.

This all begs the question... is compensation keeping up with the raging cost of living? Not bloody likely.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:42 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,150,537 times
Quote:
Have you been reading the news? His potential successors have already signed on with his vision for the city. The Cornell-Technion campus on Roosevelt Island is happening after he steps down. So is the development of the Flatiron district as a startup haven. All of that is pushing through. Do you think the majority of Long Islanders will have a place in all that? Are the academics and researchers in Technion and the technopreneurs in Flatiron going to buy homes in Deer Park? Massapequa? Wantagh? Think harder.
It's an interesting idea, and one I thought would happen on Long Island 20 years ago, but sadly never did.
The questions I have is will a tech start-up be cost effective enough in NYC? Given that more and more projects have distributed teams, what would anchor them to NYC? What happens when FB becomes an also ran? This seems like a good idea too late.

Quote:
Facebook lured 80 students to its Madison Avenue offices on July 21 for a 24-hour hackathon, an event organized with CornellNYC. In between bean-toss and mini-basketball games, students worked together in small groups to code and solve problems of their choice, huddled in an office with exposed plywood and pipes. Scooters and squirt guns were scattered around the room.
No wonder FB is a sinking ship.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbathedog View Post
I've got to agree, I'd rather be in NYC than in Richmond too

This all begs the question... is compensation keeping up with the raging cost of living? Not bloody likely.
agreed 100% on both counts

Old 08-21-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
It's an interesting idea, and one I thought would happen on Long Island 20 years ago, but sadly never did.
The questions I have is will a tech start-up be cost effective enough in NYC? Given that more and more projects have distributed teams, what would anchor them to NYC? What happens when FB becomes an also ran? This seems like a good idea too late.
And even if these Flatiron startups come to fruition, will their best employees be buying homes in LI? Will they be starting families at all?

Old 08-21-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
And even if these Flatiron startups come to fruition, will their best employees be buying homes in LI? Will they be starting families at all?
Yes, nobody has a commute like that today on LI

Old 08-21-2012, 11:58 AM

/\/\

Unlikely. Fewer of them are getting married, having kids and buying homes. That's the general demographic trend. And the ones who are buying are buying in NYC, Manhattan and Brooklyn specifically. They won't be attracted to driving SUVs around Massapequa and buying groceries in a remote big box store.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
/\/\

Unlikely. Fewer of them are getting married, having kids and buying homes. That's the general demographic trend. And the ones who are buying are buying in NYC, Manhattan and Brooklyn specifically. They won't be attracted to driving SUVs around Massapequa and buying groceries in a remote big box store.
Link?

Old 08-21-2012, 12:10 PM

/\/\

You could do a simple google search and come up with many likes like these:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...jTUAD3ub344MYQ

Is the age of the suburb over? 4 key demographic trends - MSN Real Estate

Fewer Americans are getting married - New York Daily News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island