Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2012, 12:25 PM

596 posts, read 982,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
No kidding.

And it's not a speeder's "job" to force a driver doing the speed limit to move over or go faster so that the speeder can more easily break the law.

Translation: "I'm the center of the universe and if I'm not pressed for time, then no one else is."

You obviously don't care for anyone except yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 12:27 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,961,031 times
Quote:
No kidding.

And it's not a speeder's "job" to force a driver doing the speed limit to move over or go faster so that the speeder can more easily break the law.
but why is he doing the speed limit coasting in a passing only lane?

Old 08-24-2012, 12:35 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge1114 View Post
but why is he doing the speed limit coasting in a passing only lane?
If he's not in one of the TEN STATES that actually have a "passing only in the left lane" LAW, he is doing nothing wrong. New York is not one of those states.

For example, if Gpsma is doing the speed limit on any roadway in the entire state of NY in the left lane, he will never get a ticket for it.

However, if Gpsma goes to New Jersey, for example, and is travelling rather than passing in the left lane at the speed limit, he can get a ticket for it.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pito_Chueco View Post
Translation: "I'm the center of the universe and if I'm not pressed for time, then no one else is."

You obviously don't care for anyone except yourself.
All I am saying is that the law is the law and if you break it, you risk getting a ticket, and if you want to break the law, you have no right to force action on other people who are NOT breaking the law.

Notice I have not said how ***I*** personally drive.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
All I am saying is that the law is the law and if you break it, you risk getting a ticket, and if you want to break the law, you have no right to force action on other people who are NOT breaking the law.

Notice I have not said how ***I*** personally drive.
Yes, the law is the law, and I want to risk breaking it. I'm not forcing other people to speed, but expecting them to have common sense and common courtesy to allow most of the other drivers by. But what am I saying. Drivers like GPSM can perform citizen arrests and uphold the law personally.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Yes, the law is the law, and I want to risk breaking it. I'm not forcing other people to speed, but expecting them to have common sense and common courtesy to allow most of the other drivers by. But what am I saying. Drivers like GPSM can perform citizen arrests and uphold the law personally.
LOL! Who would pull over for Gpsma?

Old 08-24-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
LOL! Who would pull over for Gpsma?
No one. I'm saying that he believe he personally can force people to do 55. he's stated many times. it's not his job to uphold the law.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
No one. I'm saying that he believe he personally can force people to do 55. he's stated many times. it's not his job to uphold the law.
Then there are people at the exact opposite of the spectrum.

I remember a couple of years ago, one of the TV news stations did a story on speeding and aggressive drivers. They sent a camera crew out in a regular car with instructions to do 55 mph in the left lane of the LIE out in Suffolk at 5:00 am. Naturally, the roadway was almost empty at this time of the morning. Most other drivers did nothing to their undercover car, but there was one driver who was so incensed at them that he stayed directly behind them, blowing the horn and tailgating right on their bumper -- even with the other lanes near him completely empty for long stretches at a time. (I know it's a he because he ended up getting pulled over and getting a ticket for aggressive driving.)

Old 08-24-2012, 06:07 PM

596 posts, read 982,257 times
Quote:
Then there are people at the exact opposite of the spectrum.

I remember a couple of years ago, one of the TV news stations did a story on speeding and aggressive drivers. They sent a camera crew out in a regular car with instructions to do 55 mph in the left lane of the LIE out in Suffolk at 5:00 am. Naturally, the roadway was almost empty at this time of the morning. Most other drivers did nothing to their undercover car, but there was one driver who was so incensed at them that he stayed directly behind them, blowing the horn and tailgating right on their bumper -- even with the other lanes near him completely empty for long stretches at a time. (I know it's a he because he ended up getting pulled over and getting a ticket for aggressive driving.)

This is an excellent example of what I was trying to explain before. Why do some people insist on adding to the sum total of road rage incidents?

AGAIN, this has nothing to do with laws or posted speed limits. We really can't have laws that cover every possible situation in life, and this is where common sense and common courtesy come into play. Just because something is technically legal does not mean that it's necessarily the right thing to do, and vice versa. If a driver chooses to keep to the right except for passing, then he/she will be able to drive at what ever speed that he/she wishes (traffic permitting). In the mean time drivers who choose to go faster will have the left lane available (traffic permitting). It's a win-win situation for everyone. A little more common sense and common courtesy would make everyone's driving experience better and safer.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:17 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,799,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
...or maybe the one that runs as a 6 lane highway from Copiague all the way out east. That's also Sunrise Hwy and average speed on it is easily 75mph.
I drive my daughter to work at So. Shore mall every morning. She opens the shop at 10 a.m. We leave Copiague, (Gt. Neck Rd.) at about 20 of 10, arriving at the mall by about 5 mins. before the hour. Once we cross under the LIRR tressle at McDonalds, heading eastbound, I move with traffic and traffic is really moving. I punch-it-out as we whiz below the 109 underpass, and as we approach Belmont Ave, if I'm not tooling along at 70, we're running late. Coming up over the hill by the No.Babylon cemetery, we see the slow lane thinning out, lots of those who exit the service road to catch 231 northbound or local Babylon destinations. Once we cross under Deer Park avenue, it's a case of `anything goes, 70 becomes 80 to 85 mph, unless there's road construction or a radar cop, up on the rising turn over Higbee Lane, traffic seems to move so fast that there are times when I've `opened her up to 90+ MPH going into the flats!

I'm sorry to see the sheriff's deputies might be leaving their patrol of Sunrise behind, the thought of County cars, those `Blue-n-Whites, parked along the service road, positioned much like crocodiles along the bank of a river, waiting for their next meal, really doesn't excite me too much, the impetus for policing the highway is less about safety, than it is about gleaning revenue for the county. There is a time when government must give us drivers, credit enough to understand that we are not children, do not need a `nanny government (known to run a double standard), capitalizing on those who are capable of maintaining reasonable control over their vehicle, at any speed, without endangering others through recklessness.Sure, there have been some horrendous accidents on the Autobahn, but few compare to the horrible collision that occured one morning on Sunrise Highway, at the underpass of rte.231, when the 55 mph speed limit was being `enforced by county cops. Yes, Sunrise Highway may be a state road, but as it winds through each town (or hamlet), speed can be regulated by those particular local authorities.

I'm waiting for this energy crunch, the rising cost of gas, to bring about a new agency, the `tire inflation police, well paid agents armed with stickyback summonses to tack to your radials, informing you that your PSI has dropped below minimum standards, you aren't getting full fuel economy. America, "You ain't seen nuthin' yet". Oh, and a `shout-out to all of the George Orwell readers out there, `Big-Brother is sharpening up his eye...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island