Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2012, 06:53 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,971,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnalsI gnoL View Post
I think for some people, driving 55 and blocking people from passing is just their way of having control over others, because they have no control over their families or anything else of importance in their lives.
Or maybe they are looking out for other people and Mr. and Mrs. Self-Important can just wait.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 06:56 PM

134 posts, read 250,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Do you mean 65 mph on Sunrise Highway, the crowded road that goes by the mall in Massapequa?
No not that portion. You cannot honestly do more then 40-50 on this stretch. I'm talking sunrise while it becomes limited access around RT 109 in West Babylon out to South Hampton/Watermill area.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:05 PM

283 posts, read 581,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Increases in speed lead to more fatal accidents. We need to keep it at 55 and enforce that limit. I feel driving at 55 is my choice...I choose to obey the law and to drive safely. Its only your impatience that makes you want to drive any faster because as i have shown, time and again, you dont save any significant time. So drive slower and be safer, you will get where you are going in plenty of time.
Exactly. There is a reason the limit is 55, less fatal car accidents.

Lets say: you lose control, blow a tire, hit an ice patch, hydroplane, or slam on breaks when someone cuts you off. Big difference in the outcome driving 55 vs 75 mph.

The wantagh and southern state have enough crosses with pictures and stuffed animals along the side of the road. To raise the speed limits on those roadways would be insane.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:23 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,708,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
...or maybe the one that runs as a 6 lane highway from Copiague all the way out east. That's also Sunrise Hwy and average speed on it is easily 75mph.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boliqua2 View Post
No not that portion. You cannot honestly do more then 40-50 on this stretch. I'm talking sunrise while it becomes limited access around RT 109 in West Babylon out to South Hampton/Watermill area.
Passing Copaigue it still has areas which are prone to congestion. There's no way the road could be a consistent 65 or 70 mph speed limit.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:39 AM

134 posts, read 250,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Passing Copaigue it still has areas which are prone to congestion. There's no way the road could be a consistent 65 or 70 mph speed limit.
The only place real congestion takes place after rt 109 is the Oakdale merge where Sunrise service road and main roadways merge through Connectquot Park.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:09 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,473,891 times
LIE should have a suggested speed limit, not a posted one. 4 lanes of straight road for 40 or so miles and stuck at 55... all for the revenue.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:04 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,326,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
I'm saying a prayer that this thread remains constructive and doesn't turn into a war zone (there are two posters in mind...)

But some roads here on Long Island seem like they could use a bump in the speed limit (some requiring minor modifications):

The LIE from the Queens border to exit 38 should be 60MPH. Past Exit 38, it should be 65MPH. After you pass exit 46 (if not, 49), the limit could really be 70MPH.

I read online that the Northern State Parkway east of exit 37A was actually designed for 75MPH, so 65MPH is more than reasonable. I think they'd have to extend the acceleration/deceleration lanes, though. I'd also convert some tight exits into diamond interchanges to reduce high speed weaving.

The Wantagh Parkway should easily be 65MPH (just fix a couple of weaving spots, and extend the accel/decel lanes).

The Meadowbrook Parkway between exit M3 and M7 could also be 65MPH.

The Seaford-Oyster Bay Expressway was designed to be an interstate (I-287 across the sound), so 65MPH shouldn't be a problem.

What do you guys think? Any others you can suggest?
From what I gather after reading several pages of posts speed limit increases could be acceptable if:

a) enforcement of all traffic laws were substantially increased (speeding, turn signals, weaving, right of way, etc.)

b) speed increases were made on roads already designed for such speeds (no additional 'improvements' needed... on/off ramps spread far apart, roads straight & level, etc.)

c) drivers exhibited greater courtesy and caution (via a PR campaign and better enforcement of laws)

d) however, given the realities of the current situation, it might be best to proceed under a pilot programme on a very few sections of roads in which enforcement can concentrate their efforts to send the message "you may drive faster but you must drive smarter".

Old 08-23-2012, 12:03 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,996,554 times
Quote:
LIMA.....these and pass comments make it clear you feel privelaged to break the vehicular law. It is only a matter of time before NYS begins to enforce speeding like they enforce DWI. .
hahahahahahaha

Quote:
We all know intuitively that driving slower is safer, causes less fatal accidents, will save the lives of children (that's most important) and will relieve stress on the road..
Actually, only you know that. Many of us feel that all the rules are important, not just speed. Speed is a factor but is impacted by improper lane usage.....but you already know all that. You just like playing driving holier than thou on this matter and frankly, LIMA is pretty annoying.

Quote:
We all need to share the road. Impatient speeders and aggressive drivers should be targeted by the policde and their licenses suspended for a reasonable period of time...and like felony laws..three strikes you're out...no more license.
Then this should apply equally to those who drive unpredictably defensively, too slowly and do not follow the laws on lane usage and signaling....they should be taken out and beaten with reeds....and have their license taken away.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:10 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,971,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Then this should apply equally to those who drive unpredictably defensively, too slowly and do not follow the laws on lane usage and signaling....they should be taken out and beaten with reeds....and have their license taken away.
How is driving the speed limit "too slow"? No one has said to forcibly make drivers go 30mph on the highway, we are talking about following the law.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Old 08-23-2012, 12:16 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,704,063 times
It's very difficult to argue with speeders. They are an impatient lot. I have to stick to my principles and drive 55mph...regardless of others on the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island