Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we move to Long Island or stay in Florida
Move to Long Island 23 27.38%
Stay in Florida 61 72.62%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 07:34 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,770,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
I agree with the above 100%. It's not just making ends meet but saving and having a safety buffer for when things go wrong. I really don't mind people saying I can't afford the Island, though I can, I just can't afford it and still save 25% of our paychecks which will go towards my retirement and paying for my kids' college. I don't think the number mongoose posted is that far off the mark for a two earner family to live comfortably on.
Well of course you should be able to live on 250k a year comfortably on LI. Same goes for 200k or even 175k. To say that you need 250k to not live paycheck to paycheck in a Levitt cape is just ridiculous. Seriously? Come on. I know it's expensive to live here but lets not get nuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 07:34 PM

97 posts, read 98,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Goose I thought you would know I was breaking your chops

I had this conversation 5 years ago and told people that if you weren't making a combined income of 200K plus it isn't really enough to live on the island. People told me I was crazy.

I also bring the point up why these civil servants make that kind of money because the cost of living is so much more on the island. Again I get bashed!

I remember saying a few years back that my cousin which is an 25 yr veteran of NCPD made around 120k and unfortunately his wife is unable to work do to medical reasons and he was barely getting by. Far from the million dollar lifestyle they think they live. I again get bashed.

I agree with you on my pension does go further here in middleofnowheresville, which in returned allowed me more investing ops, which thank God are paying off.

In life there is more than money, you have to be equally mentally,physically,and emotionally as well as financially sound. Right now I'm in a good state and hope things stay that way.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2
$120k a year without Having to pay for retirement and health insurance and still struggling? Sounds like someone is living above their means.

Glad to hear you're doing so well but I'd caution your constant bringing it up... God has a way of knocking people back down to earth when our heads get too big, boy do I know

Old 08-22-2012, 07:37 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,770,713 times
Quote:
Goose I thought you would know I was breaking your chops

I had this conversation 5 years ago and told people that if you weren't making a combined income of 200K plus it isn't really enough to live on the island. People told me I was crazy.
They were right.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
They were right.
Unless you are an egomaniac narcissist that spends like a rapper, then you have to move to Podunk to afford your lifestyle because LI is too expensive for that.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:46 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exrichmondback2LI View Post
$120k a year without Having to pay for retirement and health insurance and still struggling? Sounds like someone is living above their means.

Glad to hear you're doing so well but I'd caution your constant bringing it up... God has a way of knocking people back down to earth when our heads get too big, boy do I know
Now do you understand what I'm saying Goose

120k ( take away taxes) with two of his three children in college, mortgage,taxes, etc and the overall high cost of living on L.I. doesn't get you that far. But a guy who graduated Richmond U and has a masters in accounting should know this, no? UR 60k a year,lol

Old 08-22-2012, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Now do you understand what I'm saying Goose

120k with two of his three in college, mortgage,taxes, etc and the overall high cost of living doesn't get you that far. But a guy who graduated Richmond U and has a masters in accounting should know this, no? UR 60k a year,lol

Too bad his kids aren't intelligent enough to get scholarships. $120k a year with not health insurance and no retirement savings is about $140,000 a year in the private sector. Now add in ability to retire with nice pension and earn a second income (maybe in college security so kids go to college for free) and you're doing real well.

I bet goose has none of those opportunities.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Either this is Crooks latest handle or you've never been to Richmond. Someone from UR would have mentioned Ukrops, Martin's or Kroger as there isn't a Wiggly in sight.

Maybe not 250 but 200 for sure. Hey, I want a comfortable life with a big ass nest egg. We scraped by on the Island and besides building character there's not much else to recommend the COL.
I like Kroger so I can't make fun, but piggly wiggly is just too funny to let pass. Kroger is an impressive business btw on a side note. Made for good case studies.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:25 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,145,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exrichmondback2LI View Post
I like Kroger so I can't make fun, but piggly wiggly is just too funny to let pass. Kroger is an impressive business btw on a side note. Made for good case studies.
I'm more a Ukrops kind of guy, they were a little further ahead of many trends in the business.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:29 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,860 times
Quote:
I'm more a Ukrops kind of guy, they were a little further ahead of many trends in the business.

Hey CSK

I bet you know that old timer at UR that always says " I never forget a face" even though he never saw you before. Feel free to DM me the answer

Old 08-22-2012, 08:33 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,145,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Well of course you should be able to live on 250k a year comfortably on LI. Same goes for 200k or even 175k. To say that you need 250k to not live paycheck to paycheck in a Levitt cape is just ridiculous. Seriously? Come on. I know it's expensive to live here but lets not get nuts.
Let's look at what he currently has and then figure out how much that would cost on the Island. I'm going with at least 200K to match what he currently has. BTW, I've looked into the numbers for a possible relo not too long ago.

Right now in Florida we have a very nice 4 bedroom, 2.5 bath, 2200 sq. ft. home with in ground pool on 1/2 acre. Taxes after home exemption are about $1650 a year. We owe about $115,000 and have maybe 20-40 thousand in equity, depending on the market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island