Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 08:39 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,763,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Yes, his clients on the west coast are coming here for hotdogs. I understand, based on your reasoning, why you couldn't come up with anything better though. Don't quit your day job.

And stop expecting those of us who employ the likes of you to subsidize your ride. I realize your job in Manhattan is important to your over-taxed, crumbling-post WWII era Long Island housing needs, but you're just going to have to pay for it yourself, just like you did pre-MTA-tax.

And to people who think this tax creates jobs (!!!) - it doesn't. A job expands payroll, which creates more of a tax burden for the business owner. But you 9-to-5 Pollyannas who show up, collect a paycheck and then trudge back to Penn Station every evening with the NYPost under your arm, keep telling yourselves that you're keeping the economy going by riding the rails and taxing the Big Guys. Argue this tax is "good" any way you want - you're no different than someone collecting food stamps and Medicaid.

Here's hoping to refunds for the business owners!
Waaat?

Twingles, are you taking your meds?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 09:49 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,517,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
No one's saying to scrap public transport or transfer it to the private sector (although Veolia is showing us it can run LI bus better than the MTA and for $30M cheaper, hah).
It's only been a few months, and they basically ratified the union's prior contract, so let's see how that works out.[/quote]No one's even saying they have to make a profit. A profit would not even be possible barring a tripling of fares and subsequent tripling of all the tax revenues the MTA takes in. How could your stance be correct if you admit they are inefficient? It seems like you're confusing 'public transportation' with the corporation running it.
Quote:
All I'm saying is they take WAY too much tax money from dozens of different sources and I see a lot of unnecessary waste on their expense side. Are we not allowed to criticize bloat when we see it, especially when we're the customers here? So much waste at the MTA that it's no longer a public benefit corporation, but a monopoly designed to provide these transit services at the highest attainable cost to the taxpayer. How is that a good thing? I guess if you're an MTA employee doubling your income with OT or pulling in a 6-figure pension, then it's peaches and cream for you. For everyone else we overpay for something that should be at least 30% cheaper to run. The unconstitutional payroll tax was the last straw. I'm sick of the business-unfriendly nature and all the hostility towards small private businesses in NY while corrupt giants like LIPA, the PBA and the MTA get a pass.
As I said, there is certainly room for improvement. There always is. That doesn't mean they don't deserve funding, or that the system as a whole is a problem (I realize you didn't say that, but there's a sentiment here that I'm addressing).

Yup, MTA employees are well compensated. That's what happens when pay is distributed fairly instead of the guy at the top soaking it all up and telling everyone else that it's their fault they're not rich like him. Remember, in America, everyone deserves to make less than you.

We'll see how Judge Cozzens' decision pans out on appeal, IMO the guy is a bit of an arrogant hack, and the Appellate Division, Second Department is far more liberal than he is.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:22 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boliqua2 View Post
You guys realize that if they uphold this decision, it means service cuts for MTA including the Long Island Railroad which will equal more cars on the road ,which all of you here complain about all the time on this forum. We need these people on the train so the people who taking the train is not an option could drive quicker to work.
MTA does need this funding. Yes they are mismanaged but they have cut a lot of fat already in management.
They are also furthering their cuts by being more efficient with less
You dip further into your business' pocket. I am tired of having either my own or my business' pocket picked when (insert organization here) needs more money.

1) Not all of us do business in NYC
2) Not all of us have employees who use the MTA
3) Not all of us have businesses which utilize the MTA.

The majority of our supplies was trucked in; we were paying the MTA payroll tax AND paying whatever cost tolls added to our products. Enough. The rates could be raised $1 RT and it would still be less expensive to take the train in as opposed to gas, time, and wear and tear on a vehicle.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:25 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,743,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Yup, MTA employees are well compensated. That's what happens when pay is distributed fairly instead of the guy at the top soaking it all up and telling everyone else that it's their fault they're not rich like him. Remember, in America, everyone deserves to make less than you.

We'll see how Judge Cozzens' decision pans out on appeal, IMO the guy is a bit of an arrogant hack, and the Appellate Division, Second Department is far more liberal than he is.
Oh please, here we go with the "big bad rich guy at the top" horse crap!

The mTA isn't hurting the rich guy. You tax payroll, he'll just hire less employees/freeze salaries to make up for the extra burden. You're smarter than that (I thought). Instead they're hurting the millions of people who work at hospitals, schools, counties, charities, private schools, small businesses, small mom-n-pops - everyone basically. This smug attitude that it's perfectly OK for the govt to be picking winners and compensating them ALL well (for votes of course) while us commoners burn...makes me want to vomit.

Last edited by Pequaman; 08-23-2012 at 10:43 PM..

Old 08-23-2012, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boliqua2 View Post
Actually its a concern for all who drive because cut in service means Railroad users will then drive instead of taking the train and make the traffic situation on Long Island that much worse.

To give an example. I live Bay Shore/BayWood on LI and I work in Garden City Park/New Hyde Park. On a good day it takes me an hour to get home and on a bad day sometimes up to hour and half during the rush hour which outside of the rush hour is a 30 minute drive. We need to promote mass transit so the people who HAVE to drive to their drives have more room on the road.
That's your problem, not mine. I own a business, I live close to where the bulk of my business is conducted. You need to promote mass transit to help alleviate the congestion on your commute. Why should I be subsidizing the MTA when I do not use it? When my employees do not use it? When my business does not use it? Why should I be paying for it in my property taxes when the lion's share (if not all) the Town's employees do not use it -- yet the MTA taxes the Town for it?

Why should any of us be paying more for our food, an article of clothing, a vehicle -- when the business passes the MTA tax down to the public?

How about you dip into your pocket and give me a couple of thousand dollars because I chose to live and work someplace relatively close -- reducing wear and tear on our infrastructure, using less fuel, and thus reducing my carbon footprint?

Old 08-23-2012, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exrichmondback2LI View Post
Shortsighted? Yes your post is. Condescending too. Anyway, society is a web, you may not see beyond 2 degrees of separation, but maybe your hubby's customers' customers use public transportation to earn a living to pay your hubby's customers, so they can pay your hubby his fees. OBH's business uses local roads, less cars means more productivity for him. See?
When you live and work far enough east, the bulk of your clients live and work east, too. The majority of my clients are within a 10 mile radius of my office. Most of our 'traffic' is soccer moms, university professionals, hospital employees, local teachers, college students, trades, garbage trucks, etc. We are very fortunate not to have to deal with the nonsense people commuting into NYC do.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:20 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
It's all operated at a loss, save MTA B&T. To keep from hemorrhaging money the rates need to go up for transit.

If MTA has to refund some of that 3 billion+ dollars collected on what may now be deemed an unconstitutional tax, they're going to be in a heap of trouble.

You have a gross monopoly over transit in the region- it's time to start raising transit fares.
Well, what do you think they've been doing these past few years? Aside from that, like I said, NYC's transit system has the highest farebox recovery ratio in the country. Why are other systems able to subsidize their systems more than ours (though like I said, other systems have their own problems too)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Exactly who is "the Rail Community" and why do they feel this way?
Rail community = Transit enthusiasts like me & him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
the fact that NYC subways still use a one fare system is archaic. Washington DC Metro had graduated fares twenty years ago for Chrissakes. Never understood why the suburbs have to support this . Perhaps someone can figure out a way to charge NYC residents 20 bucks for crossing the Shinnecock Canal (buses would have to pay much more of course).
We never hear any politician here on LI saying we should charge NYC residents for using our "services" (taking over every town east of Riverhead for almost four months of the year).
Check this out.

Basically, it has to do with the geography of the wealthy neighborhoods vs. poor neighborhoods in the city. A wealthy banker on the UES would be paying less to travel to his job on Wall Street than somebody living out in Far Rockaway or East NY going to a minimum-wage job in Lower Manhattan.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:54 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,234,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
Well, what do you think they've been doing these past few years? Aside from that, like I said, NYC's transit system has the highest farebox recovery ratio in the country. Why are other systems able to subsidize their systems more than ours (though like I said, other systems have their own problems too)?

Rail community = Transit enthusiasts like me & him.

Check this out.

Basically, it has to do with the geography of the wealthy neighborhoods vs. poor neighborhoods in the city. A wealthy banker on the UES would be paying less to travel to his job on Wall Street than somebody living out in Far Rockaway or East NY going to a minimum-wage job in Lower Manhattan.
interesting , but should public transportation systems be designed around the incomes of the residents which it serves ? I understand the outrage this would cause, but I will always be amazed that it costs the same amount to travel from the North Bronx to the Rockaways as from 34st st to 42nd street in Manhattan.
Any time the possibility of the subway fare rising 25 cents arises, such outrage ! "I CAN'T AFFORD THAT" say the NYC residents while carrying the newest Apple IPhone.
Don't forget the NYC subways provide free transportation for (over one million) public school children daily.
The ridiculous bridge tolls suburbanites pay subsidize that also. Another freebie for NYC residents.

Old 08-24-2012, 06:02 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times
It used to kill me to write that check. None of our employees used the mta, all our business was in suffolk county and it must be years since I used the trains personally. All our employees lived in a 8 mile commute to the office.

Those who use the trains should pay for it. Or maybe not use it so that it would enlighten the MTA to stop the corruption and actually run the MTA like a business.

Old 08-24-2012, 06:13 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,234,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
It used to kill me to write that check. None of our employees used the mta, all our business was in suffolk county and it must be years since I used the trains personally. All our employees lived in a 8 mile commute to the office.

Those who use the trains should pay for it. Or maybe not use it so that it would enlighten the MTA to stop the corruption and actually run the MTA like a business.
what a concept ! have the bridge tolls pay for maintenance of the bridge. Have the subway tolls pay for maintenance of the subway. Why didn't anyone ever think of this !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island