Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 04:48 PM

652 posts, read 2,265,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulley View Post
I don't know why anyone would move to long island. It's way too expensive. Young people have no means to survive here. I'm currently looking in Brooklyn, to me at least you pay for what you get. I've lived in Elmont all my life and I hate it. This town is changing for the worst. The few towns I would move to on long island go for a million or more, taxes are insane as well. Renting on long island is just as expensive. I pay lots for a crappy basement apt. I'm in my twentys and don't suggest long island for young people. It's sure as hell not what it used to be.
I'm 56 and went to HS at Elmont Memorial. I have to say...of all the places I've lived in my life Elmont was by far the worst!! I hated Elmont but I heard thats its gotten a bit better since I lived there...which still doesn't say much.

I think Belmont Racetrack was one of the reasons there was so much crime and drugs when I lived there..it brought that element in but thats just my personal opinion.

I also think it can get a little expense there for what you get because its loction allows people that work in the city easy access. Its one of the more ugly towns if you ask me. No wonder there's such a big cemetary there...right near the center of town...lol.
Ya better hurry up and vamoose compadre...before the Elmonster gets ya...lol.

Check out Huntington if you need to stay on LI. Its a REALLY nice town. Has tons to do here from museums to nice parks to good music halls like The IMAC Center Live Music - Jazz, Blues, Folk American and World music - Welcome to the Inter-Media Art Center lots of pubs n clubs..etc etc

then of course there;s always North Carolina near Asheville. y'all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 06:28 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
clark street.Like the Eagles said in the song "The Last Resort", "call something paradise, kiss it goodbye".

or (obviously Hotel California) : "we are just all prisoners here of our own device"......

Old 10-25-2007, 08:22 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,775 times
Hang in there Nancy, Portland's waiting for you!

Mom just brought over a bunch of photos. One set is me playing in the snow, aged 9, from 1968, and another of my then brand new wife and me at the Clark St house, Christmas 1988. I can remember the moments those pictures were taken vividly and with fondness. But now I tend to look more at the pictures of my mom, dad, wife and the kids taken at Thanksgiving in NC, or the kids playing in the snow on the farm that used to be behind our house here in VA. Life goes on with more good memories to come.

Old 10-26-2007, 05:56 AM

2 posts, read 5,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andybuildz View Post
I'm 56 and went to HS at Elmont Memorial. I have to say...of all the places I've lived in my life Elmont was by far the worst!! I hated Elmont but I heard thats its gotten a bit better since I lived there...which still doesn't say much.

I think Belmont Racetrack was one of the reasons there was so much crime and drugs when I lived there..it brought that element in but thats just my personal opinion.

I also think it can get a little expense there for what you get because its loction allows people that work in the city easy access. Its one of the more ugly towns if you ask me. No wonder there's such a big cemetary there...right near the center of town...lol.
Ya better hurry up and vamoose compadre...before the Elmonster gets ya...lol.

Check out Huntington if you need to stay on LI. Its a REALLY nice town. Has tons to do here from museums to nice parks to good music halls like The IMAC Center Live Music - Jazz, Blues, Folk American and World music - Welcome to the Inter-Media Art Center lots of pubs n clubs..etc etc

then of course there;s always North Carolina near Asheville. y'all

I do not think Elmont is getting any better. The crack heads from Queens are really moving in on us. Hunting is nice but again, rent is a little high and taxes are a little steep if you're buying. I'm pretty sure Elmont Memorial is still horrible, drugs are every where here. Punk kids walking the streets late at night, as a female, I do not feel safe here. Graffiti fills most walls, mostly gang symbols. The only good thing about long island is NCC, I pay dirt cheap tuition.

Old 10-26-2007, 06:48 AM

652 posts, read 2,265,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulley View Post
I do not think Elmont is getting any better. The crack heads from Queens are really moving in on us. Hunting is nice but again, rent is a little high and taxes are a little steep if you're buying. I'm pretty sure Elmont Memorial is still horrible, drugs are every where here. Punk kids walking the streets late at night, as a female, I do not feel safe here. Graffiti fills most walls, mostly gang symbols. The only good thing about long island is NCC, I pay dirt cheap tuition.
Sorry to hear that...elmont was always a little ugly town to me that held nothing but bad experiances growing up as a kid. I guess when I was growing up "glue" was the big rage which apparently is now taken over by crack. What a step up.
Far as NCC...I'd think any CC would have a low tuition as long as you're a resident. NCC is nothing to write home about and I'm sure you could find an equal or better CC else where if you really hate living on LI.
Good luck
andy

Old 10-26-2007, 07:01 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,878,618 times
In 3 years, after I retire it'll be the same for me! Can't WAIT to get out of LI. I too have lived here all my life but the congestion,crime,taxes and liberalism that has taken over is driving me out.Valley Stream is quickly becoming Queens and not a good part of Queens either. Gangs in the schools, drugs being sold in the schools. Sad.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:34 AM

713 posts, read 1,461,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
In 3 years, after I retire it'll be the same for me! Can't WAIT to get out of LI. I too have lived here all my life but the congestion,crime,taxes and liberalism that has taken over is driving me out.Valley Stream is quickly becoming Queens and not a good part of Queens either. Gangs in the schools, drugs being sold in the schools. Sad.
honestly, you're right, but we have ourselves to blame for re/electing a-hole people to run our schools, local and state governements. i wish Hillary would get very ill and drop out of the race. NY dont need her as she's done nothing for NY.

there's way too much corruption on LI (and no sign of it stopping), hence why after 35 years i'm heading out to AZ. parts of NJ look better than LI right now. just sold my house on LI, 1200 sq.ft. on .22 acre, and i'm paying $7200 in prop taxes to Crookhaven !! they only run the street sweeper once a year now even though they dump tons of sand and salt on the roads during winter..... the garbage pickup folks will tear open garbage bags to see if you put basic yard waste in, if so they dont take it!! $7200 a year and they wont take the few leaves and branches i pick off my lawn..... thats F'd up.

LI is not a place to move to nor retire in. its good till about my age of 35, then folks should move off of LI where they can plan out retirement and enjoy not having to work 12 hour days just to get by, etc.

and btw,
the "illegals" issue is everywhere. for the most part they go unseen because most of them are hard workers. thats not the real issue behind "illegals". illegal immigrants put burdens on various core components which support our economics, such as our health system, tax programs, employment programs, etc, etc, and which ultimately the LEGAL citizens have to pay via higher taxes, higher co-pays, etc, etc. illegal immigrants are bad for econimic reasons. one may not like congregational pockets of immigrants, but that alone is harmless, after all they are just people seeking a better life.

bottom line is, illegal is ILLEGAL. here in NY Spitzer is trying to pass a wacky law to allow illegals to get drivers licenses!! his supporters claim it is needed because so many illegals need it so they can get insurance..... well guess what, A DRIVERS LICENSE DOES NOT MEAN ONE HAS CAR INSURANCE !! most likely the illegals (if they were granted a drivers license) would not be able to afford car insurance. the the end result would be a bunch of illegals driving around with a drivers license but with no car insurance, which is once again ILLEGAL !!

Spitzer is a moron on this front.

Last edited by Home_Kid; 10-26-2007 at 10:07 AM..

Old 10-26-2007, 01:09 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,468 times
Default Unfortunately it is everywhere...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home_Kid View Post
honestly, you're right, but we have ourselves to blame for re/electing a-hole people to run our schools, local and state governements. i wish Hillary would get very ill and drop out of the race. NY dont need her as she's done nothing for NY.

there's way too much corruption on LI (and no sign of it stopping), hence why after 35 years i'm heading out to AZ. parts of NJ look better than LI right now. just sold my house on LI, 1200 sq.ft. on .22 acre, and i'm paying $7200 in prop taxes to Crookhaven !! they only run the street sweeper once a year now even though they dump tons of sand and salt on the roads during winter..... the garbage pickup folks will tear open garbage bags to see if you put basic yard waste in, if so they dont take it!! $7200 a year and they wont take the few leaves and branches i pick off my lawn..... thats F'd up.

LI is not a place to move to nor retire in. its good till about my age of 35, then folks should move off of LI where they can plan out retirement and enjoy not having to work 12 hour days just to get by, etc.

and btw,
the "illegals" issue is everywhere. for the most part they go unseen because most of them are hard workers. thats not the real issue behind "illegals". illegal immigrants put burdens on various core components which support our economics, such as our health system, tax programs, employment programs, etc, etc, and which ultimately the LEGAL citizens have to pay via higher taxes, higher co-pays, etc, etc. illegal immigrants are bad for econimic reasons. one may not like congregational pockets of immigrants, but that alone is harmless, after all they are just people seeking a better life.

bottom line is, illegal is ILLEGAL. here in NY Spitzer is trying to pass a wacky law to allow illegals to get drivers licenses!! his supporters claim it is needed because so many illegals need it so they can get insurance..... well guess what, A DRIVERS LICENSE DOES NOT MEAN ONE HAS CAR INSURANCE !! most likely the illegals (if they were granted a drivers license) would not be able to afford car insurance. the the end result would be a bunch of illegals driving around with a drivers license but with no car insurance, which is once again ILLEGAL !!

Spitzer is a moron on this front.
The political crap and ridiculousness are everywhere...ask residents of Florida what has happened over the past 10-15 years in particular. Government/utility jobs are the only growth industry now that housing has cratered...

Best of luck to you. AZ is heading south from a home cost standpoint. You should be able to carry your equity far. As for your concerns about illegals...you are heading to Arizona, it makes the situations in areas like Farmingville and Mt. Kisco seem modest.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:04 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
I'm currently looking in Brooklyn, to me at least you pay for what you get.
And you get what you pay for. Brownstones are lovely but I am guessing that's not the sort of RE you're in the market for.

Quote:
I've lived in Elmont all my life and I hate it.
Can't say I blame you.

In all seriousness -- good luck and I hope you find someplace to live that meets your $ requirements and makes you happy.

Old 10-26-2007, 04:24 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
And you get what you pay for. Brownstones are lovely but I am guessing that's not the sort of RE you're in the market for.
Quote:

Brooklyn Brownstones are beautiful with leafy clean streets and lovely neighborhoods like Park Slope and Brooklyn Heights. But, the same brownstones that went for 35k twenty years ago are now well over $2,000,000. THAT'S where I made a huge mistake. Oh, well.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island