Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 12:36 PM

3,942 posts, read 5,052,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephM View Post
Why not? I guess some people here don't understand how a gifted child in a regular program can be bored out of their minds and start to hate school. My DD was in a district that would give her busy work when she finished an hour long assignment in 10 minutes. Telling her to read book after book to fill her time bored her to death. The only two school districts that I personally know of that offer gifted programs are the one we are currently in and Three Village. I am sure there are many more that I'm not aware of.
Some people have really refined food tastes but get taken to McDonalds, and don't particularly love what they have on the menu.

Bravo to you for having your child in a district that offers a gifted program. The current trend in education is inclusion however, thusly most districts have abandoned G&T and replaced them with more special ed. in every classroom.

If the OP's district does not offer it, it's just simply not available. The parent can do afterschool enriching programs with their child, but no other district has any obligation to service them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 12:46 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,634,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Some people have really refined food tastes but get taken to McDonalds, and don't particularly love what they have on the menu.

Bravo to you for having your child in a district that offers a gifted program. The current trend in education is inclusion however, thusly most districts have abandoned G&T and replaced them with more special ed. in every classroom.

If the OP's district does not offer it, it's just simply not available. The parent can do afterschool enriching programs with their child, but no other district has any obligation to service them.
It's one thing to go to McDonald's once in a while, and another thing to have a steady diet of it for 6 years straight - day in and day out.

Inclusion is used today because it's cheaper. The bottom line is money. Goes along with the thinking regarding heterogeneous classrooms. All about the almighty dollar. View the students as units and pack those classrooms to the hilt with students who range from Albert Einstein to the most extreme special ed. student you can think of, fire extra teachers, and when the public/parents aren't looking, raise the class caps through the unadvertised school board vote. It's certainly not the best teaching model. Particularly bad for very smart kids and very slow kids. The middle-of-the-road students get the teaching directed at them - the teachers don't give a damn about the bright kids and don't care how bored they are, and they aren't able to reach the slow/retarded kids. Not a win-win situation. But it is cheaper overall.

Old 08-27-2012, 01:00 PM

283 posts, read 579,573 times
Did you call your district already? My district starts testing for 3rd grade gifted program ( Nassau) . In addition, There are enrichment programs through cw post and long island university. Huntington is supposed to be a really good school, but it is extremely private (not much parent participation) The kids skip grades , only you can decide if you want that for your child.

Unfortunately , an intellectually gifted child will be very bored and act up in class as a result. They distract other kids that need to listen and pay attention to the teacher. Teachers (and parents of children like your own) will be able to recognize your child's strengths and will want you to have child tested.

Chances are if you have one child that tests very high, your other children will as well. Good luck

Last edited by newmommyq; 08-27-2012 at 01:09 PM..

Old 08-31-2012, 01:57 PM

67 posts, read 73,582 times
It is true that people will not understand about gifted kids, and to many it can sound like bragging to have these discussions.

I know people who send their kids to the school in Huntington, which is actually called Long Island School for the Gifted. The website is not pretty with no pics, and you cannot just walk around the school, but I think they just have good security to protect the kids. You can never be too careful these days with all the sickos around. It is also true there is not much in the way of sports or music there, but it is for intellectual abilities, so you would not expect much of that stuff anyway. They seem to think it is worth it for their child. I hope they are right since it is pretty expensive!

Old 08-31-2012, 10:29 PM

3,942 posts, read 5,052,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
It's one thing to go to McDonald's once in a while, and another thing to have a steady diet of it for 6 years straight - day in and day out.

Inclusion is used today because it's cheaper. The bottom line is money. Goes along with the thinking regarding heterogeneous classrooms. All about the almighty dollar. View the students as units and pack those classrooms to the hilt with students who range from Albert Einstein to the most extreme special ed. student you can think of, fire extra teachers, and when the public/parents aren't looking, raise the class caps through the unadvertised school board vote. It's certainly not the best teaching model. Particularly bad for very smart kids and very slow kids. The middle-of-the-road students get the teaching directed at them - the teachers don't give a damn about the bright kids and don't care how bored they are, and they aren't able to reach the slow/retarded kids. Not a win-win situation. But it is cheaper overall.
For the record, I did not- and do not- advocate inclusion.

It does however go beyond cost measures, it starts with appeasing parents of retarted (for lack of a better term) children.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:40 PM

71 posts, read 189,919 times
I agree inclusion does not fit all kids. It's even worse when there are 24, 25, 26 kids in the classroom, and one teacher has to make sure they all are engaged, somehow. Six hours of one-size fits all. For education, the intellectual and emotional development of children, this isn't well constructed. If anyone knows of a public district with more individualized curriculums, or if anyone has heard of kids "out of district" being allowed to attend, I would appreciate the info... thanks.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:42 AM

21 posts, read 25,155 times
LISG in Huntington is crazy expensive! I would suggest meeting with other districts to get a feel for their programs. My parents liked Northport's program, but that was in the late 80s/early 90s.

To the other poster who made a comment about "mommy's cherub " or whatever nonsense, being gifted doesn't mean being a straight A teacher's pet with pushy helicopter parents. It is a segment of the population who can have academic and/or social difficulties. Gifted education falls into special ed in many districts.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:10 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,500,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeums View Post
LISG in Huntington is crazy expensive! I would suggest meeting with other districts to get a feel for their programs. My parents liked Northport's program, but that was in the late 80s/early 90s.

To the other poster who made a comment about "mommy's cherub " or whatever nonsense, being gifted doesn't mean being a straight A teacher's pet with pushy helicopter parents. It is a segment of the population who can have academic and/or social difficulties. Gifted education falls into special ed in many districts.
this is an excellent post (mostly because I agree with it :-). The social pressures are often overlooked. Lets face it, kids can be brutal to each other and being in any "different" classes can result in different acceptance.

The OP may want to look into groups of families with similar experiences and join one. I would ask the schools that have good programs if they know of any. We looked into this in Rocky Point there were a few parents who got together despite the school not having a specific program. We're now in VA now and the elementary school we are in has one.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:48 AM

22,649 posts, read 36,634,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
For the record, I did not- and do not- advocate inclusion.

It does however go beyond cost measures, it starts with appeasing parents of retarted (for lack of a better term) children.
Oh, the irony

Old 09-01-2012, 02:08 PM

8,806 posts, read 21,230,447 times
Far from being "jealous" or not understanding gifted children, my opinion of those programs is predicated upon experiences that my son had in the Three Village G&T program all the way back in the seventies. I found it to be mediocre at best and at worst it enabled a select group of parents to imagine themselves the sires of future Einsteins and gave them the mistaken notion that they were allowed to mistreat the well-meaning but inexperienced district employees.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island