Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 07:50 AM

43 posts, read 90,110 times

Advertisements

Can someone please recommend a licienced tree service company in the Happuage area? I have a 50ft oak I would like to cut down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 08:02 AM

89 posts, read 204,248 times
I used Traditional Tree recently. I had a large tree removed. I was very happy with their work. 631-543-tree

Old 08-28-2012, 08:38 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome8283 View Post
Can someone please recommend a licienced tree service company in the Happuage area? I have a 50ft oak I would like to cut down.

Having the same done (don't know if it's "only" 50', or more). I'm using Tim Baxley 631-241-7923.
Licensed and insured (a must in my book--too much chance of liability!) and plenty of experience at "reasonable" prices.

Tell him I referred you.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:57 AM

405 posts, read 1,769,873 times
We use LaMay Tree Service for all of our tree work. They have a CRANE, which is really helpful for tall tree work/removal and I found that a lot of other companies don't have that. Their pricing is very competitive too. Town of Huntington actually uses them for a lot of work. Highly recommend.

Not sure if it's true in Hauppauge as well, but in TOH you have to get a permit to take down a tree--even if it's dead. $25 I think. LaMay actually brought the paperwork to my estimate and filed it for me. Several other folks didn't even mention it.

Old 08-28-2012, 01:47 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,325,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome8283 View Post
Do you have a buyer for the wood? You might want to consider it. A nice straight oak tree has value.

Old 08-28-2012, 01:58 PM

1,101 posts, read 2,734,297 times
Woody Tree Service, 516-676-3735. They're based in Glen Cove, but we referred them to very satisfied friends in Cold Spring Hills, so they may stretch and go to Hauppauge. Joe Douso offers fair pricing and great service. His guys are so neat that, after he leaves, you hardly know any work was done.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Having the same done (don't know if it's "only" 50', or more). I'm using Tim Baxley 631-241-7923.
Licensed and insured (a must in my book--too much chance of liability!) and plenty of experience at "reasonable" prices.

Tell him I referred you.
I don't see any reviews of Tim Baxley online. How did you hear about this service? Did you use the service yet? What was your experience?

Old 08-30-2012, 08:21 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Aronica (Setauket), Docherty (Stony Brook) or Usher (Port Jefferson) Tree Service. All are licensed and insured. I have referred all 3 to others, including someone on this site who used Usher. Another C-D member from Huntington uses Usher, too.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:37 AM

418 posts, read 1,069,637 times
Yes, I used Usher a month ago.
Their price was very competitive (I got 5 quotes) and the service was professional.
They were nice enough to deliver free wood chips (half a truck) at a later point when I asked - I used those as mulch and like the natural look.
I would recommend them.
Docherty came very close as well.

To emotionally calm myself for this expensive tree care (now and in the future) , this summer I dabbled in some woodworking - used some of the tree stumps to make end tables of sorts (Pottery Barn, West Elm-ish kind). Lots of chiseling and grinding/polishing...

Attached is one of my first products from a black locust tree that Usher removed...
Attached Thumbnails
Tree service-finished1.jpg  

Old 08-30-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011littlehouse View Post
Yes, I used Usher a month ago.
Their price was very competitive (I got 5 quotes) and the service was professional.
They were nice enough to deliver free wood chips (half a truck) at a later point when I asked - I used those as mulch and like the natural look.
I would recommend them.
Docherty came very close as well.

To emotionally calm myself for this expensive tree care (now and in the future) , this summer I dabbled in some woodworking - used some of the tree stumps to make end tables of sorts (Pottery Barn, West Elm-ish kind). Lots of chiseling and grinding/polishing...

Attached is one of my first products from a black locust tree that Usher removed...
Very nice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island