Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 01:54 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exrichmondback2LI View Post
No. Amity aka Pequa North is straight outta Compton, watch your kicks, your Benz is already gone... jm2c xrich
There's something familiar about your post but I just can't put my finger on it ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 06:39 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,092,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate2Li View Post
hey guys, I am a first time poster, I am looking at an apartment in north amityville (polo club 615 broadway amityville ny), I have been reading about North amity and have been seeing nothing but bad things, what are your opinions on the neighborhood and surrounding area, I am single and usually keep to myself, no gang affiliations or drugs, but I do drive a new Mercedes, and in some neighborhoods it has gotten me unwanted attention, so I guess what I am asking is will I get robbed or shot in this neighborhood or is it safe enough for me to live and commute to work and school.

Thank you for all your responses.

I will tell you all I know about N. Amityville if you tell us how you work and go to school and have a new Mercedes?. Just saying', if you have a new Mercedes why would you want to live in N. Amityville, at the very least you should want a nice home for your car!!!!!

Old 08-30-2012, 07:50 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,327,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I will tell you all I know about N. Amityville if you tell us how you work and go to school and have a new Mercedes?. Just saying', if you have a new Mercedes why would you want to live in N. Amityville, at the very least you should want a nice home for your car!!!!!
There are nice homes in N.Amityville, some parts of it are just as well-kept as surrounding towns, those parts just happen to be more tucked-away so they aren't that well-known to outsiders who may just be driving through. (I really don't mean to 'knit-pick', another user also made that same comment a while back so I just thought I should clear that up)

There are some positives about the town. It's the closest you'll get to NYC on LI w/o paying Nassau County taxes, affordable real-estate, it's close to Melville/E.Farmingdale where many ppl work, easy access to the SS Pkwy, close to tons of shopping like Sunrise Mall and other things on Sunrise Hwy and Route 110.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to paint it as if it's paradise! I'm just saying that it's possible to enjoy a good quality of life there and it's not all rundown. The only major drawbacks I could think about it are the poorer-performing schools and some parts of town appearing run-down..I won't even mention crime since most of the crime is just confined to house parties and people who are involved with criminal elements, it's irrelevant to somebody who avoids those things and uses common-sense.

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 08-30-2012 at 08:42 PM..

Old 08-30-2012, 08:02 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,327,483 times
Moderator cut: this quote was removed
You can believe whatever you want. If you knew anything about the town, you would know that they're even building a large subdivision with gigantic luxury houses in town with many units already occupied not far from another older nicely-kept large subdivision. See for yourself:
north amityville, ny - Google Maps

Supply&demand

As i've said in my previous post, i'm not saying the town is paradise and there are DEFINITELY much nicer locations on Long Island. But for users to say/imply there are no nice homes in the town is just innaccurate, there are still many people who work hard to keep up their properties.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 09-01-2012 at 07:28 AM..

Old 08-30-2012, 08:33 PM

7,922 posts, read 9,146,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
You can believe whatever you want. If you knew anything about the town, you would know that they're even building a large subdivision with gigantic luxury houses in town with many units already occupied not far from another older nicely-kept large subdivision. See for yourself:

Supply&demand

As i've said in my previous post, i'm not saying the town is paradise and there are DEFINITELY much nicer locations on Long Island. But for users to say/imply there are no nice homes in the town is just innaccurate, there are still many people who keep up their properties.
That development across from the Convent was basically abandoned a few years back. Way overpriced homes for the area. Wonder if they still have the missiles from the cold war buried underground there? Maybe that would be a good selling point, worrried about the neighborhood,, don't worry each house comes with its own missile launcher, lol.
My Aunt is a nun with the Amityville Dominicans and says that in the 60s you'd see the missiles being dry tested coming out of the ground in that area.

I'd still pass on N. Amityville.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:37 PM

438 posts, read 831,638 times
Actually, LI Person is right. Last year, I took my Dad to Amityville and we stopped by the North Amityville Fire Dept and met the current Fire Chief. My Dad used to be the chief of NAFD back in the 1970s. Anyway, the current Chief told us that the Town of Babylon has designated N. Amityville as a prime area for redevelopment. He said there will be some major changes coming. Both trailer parks on Broadway are going to be cleared, making way for mixed used commercial, and residential condo developments. The Chief said that his department will need to order a new hook & ladder truck as these condos will be 4-to 5 stories high. He said they are even more plans to build luxury homes just south of Southern State off of Great Neck. Town officials think that, given it's proximity to Melville, highways, and NYC, the hamlet will be ripe for redevelopment as LI has run out of suitable space for new growth. The Chief said in another 5-7 years, you will not recognize the Route 110 corridor from SSP to Sunrise.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:56 PM

97 posts, read 98,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post

Supply&demand

As i've said in my previous post, i'm not saying the town is paradise and there are DEFINITELY much nicer locations on Long Island. But for users to say/imply there are no nice homes in the town is just innaccurate, there are still many people who work hard to keep up their properties.
North Amity, where you can enjoy your own little slice of tarnation, complete with a trailer park, a Walmart just across the east fdale border, and plenty of bail bonds and pawn shops. All that's needed is it's own piggly wiggly.

Again, No. Amity no way

Jm2c,
Xrich

Old 09-01-2012, 03:05 AM

4 posts, read 14,383 times
Quote:
I am a graduate student, I have my bachelors in IT/Business and I drive a Mercedes e350, its not a top of the line but still a 2011 (bought it brand new in 2011) I went to school on Li and I lived in Huntington and Woodbury, I know the north shore pretty well but I never got out to the south shore a lot so I am not that familiar with N. Amity, which is why I asked about it because I saw a good looking apt. on CL but i did a quick crime report and it seems like there were several murders, robberies and assaults a block or 2 away from the apartment complex, which is why I decided against it, I am unsure of your condescending question, and pondering at the fact that you might be a "Troll", but none the less how I acquired my Mercedes should have nothing to do with the simple question I asked, the only reason I mentioned it was to make sure that if I had moved into the complex I wouldn't wake up the next day with a bullet wound and a missing car.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:35 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,092,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate2Li View Post
I am a graduate student, I have my bachelors in IT/Business and I drive a Mercedes e350, its not a top of the line but still a 2011 (bought it brand new in 2011) I went to school on Li and I lived in Huntington and Woodbury, I know the north shore pretty well but I never got out to the south shore a lot so I am not that familiar with N. Amity, which is why I asked about it because I saw a good looking apt. on CL but i did a quick crime report and it seems like there were several murders, robberies and assaults a block or 2 away from the apartment complex, which is why I decided against it, I am unsure of your condescending question, and pondering at the fact that you might be a "Troll", but none the less how I acquired my Mercedes should have nothing to do with the simple question I asked, the only reason I mentioned it was to make sure that if I had moved into the complex I wouldn't wake up the next day with a bullet wound and a missing car.

Mr. Grad student, I am neither a troll nor an idiot. I am aware of the cost of a new mercedes but certainly not to the model, however since you have provided the model I would say roughly in the high $40,000-$50,000 range, judging from some old fogie contemporaries who also have that model, albeit a bit older.

My question was also not condescending but rather incredulous. You have a car that is obviously more expensive than many on the road, you work and are going to school, and you are on CD seeking advice about a place to live. The point is, if all the above are factual or if you my friend are the troll.

However, I will play the game, let's say you won the car in a raffle. My knowledge of N. Amityville, is as other posters have already mentioned, that there are many improvement plans on the drawing boards. I can add to what the others have said already BUT, the point is that you need to deal with the "here and now" and not what is going to happen or what may happen. By the time all the plans come to fruition you will need trade the old mercedes in for a new model. Is all of N. Amityville "bad", not at all, but, there are far better places for you to live, now.

If you have questions about a community and are second guessing yourself to the degree (robbed and shot) that you are it is no place for you to live regardless of what others tell you. You are living there.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:40 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,760,081 times
Quote:
Typical LI mentality - rent an apartment in a dumpy town while you rent a luxury car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island