Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 10:51 PM

7 posts, read 11,246 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband and I are considering relocating to New York. He has a job offer in Manhattan and I am considering jobs in either Northport or Nassau. We were considering possibly living in Queens... I have heard Forest Hills and Astoria are nice. We are open to living elsewhere, but we want to have easy access to Manhattan via train (I will drive to work in Northport or Nassau).

I am wondering whether there is anywhere we can live that would have convenient train access for my husband and would not be a horrible driving commute for me to either of these two towns. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 10:57 PM

796 posts, read 1,756,253 times
What do you mean Nassau? Nassau County?

Old 09-01-2012, 11:26 PM

21 posts, read 25,188 times
Nassau is a county, not a town. Can you narrow it down a bit more? Northport is nice, I grew up there and work there for the time being, but it is expensive since it's a shore/harbor town.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:48 AM

Oh sorry I meant East Meadow, in Nassau County.

I have heard Northport is very nice I'm just concerned that it's too far from the city for my husband to commute every day. Is there somewhere in between that's nice that has better train access to manhattan?

Old 09-02-2012, 08:56 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
Do you have a budget? That would help, as some areas are more affordable than others.

Also, are you talking renting or buying?

Old 09-02-2012, 09:55 AM

We are looking to rent, not buy, since we would only be relocating for 1-2 years. We don't have a strict budget... we want to live somewhere nice and safe.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:05 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,244,986 times
Since you don't have a strict budget I would go with this one:

MLS # 2513587 - 1029 Plandome Rd, Manhasset NY, 11030 | Homes.com

it is only $15,000/month in a great area and your husband can be in NYC in less than an hour.

Old 09-02-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
Since you don't have a strict budget I would go with this one:

MLS # 2513587 - 1029 Plandome Rd, Manhasset NY, 11030 | Homes.com

it is only $15,000/month in a great area and your husband can be in NYC in less than an hour.
Thank you. I am actually just looking for more general information about these two areas, and their proximity to Manhattan. Can anyone tell me whether I could commute from Queens to one or both of these towns, how long the drive would be, and how long it would take my husband to get to manhattan via train? It seems like commuting from Astoria or Forest Hills to Northport would be very difficult... does anyone have information on this commute? If it's too difficult, is there somewhere else we could live that would be more convenient?

Old 09-02-2012, 05:08 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Originally you said your husband has a job offer in Manhattan, and in post #8, you are asking about commuting from Astoria OR Forest Hills to Northport??

Also, no one can answer your question without a budget, and not wanting to give one makes no sense. Do you have $800 a month to spend on an apartment, or do you have $8000? Believe it or not, there are rentals available at each end. It's not a crazy thing to be asking. Or knowing your personal preferences. Can you commute from Northport to Manhattan? Sure, people do it every day. Is it ideal? Not to me. But commuting to Manhattan would never be an ideal scenario to me. Others can commute from even farther east and make it work. Without knowing what your current setup is, no one can tell you whether you are in for a helluva shock or you might be taking a step up in life or it's a wash. Too little info.

Old 09-02-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Originally you said your husband has a job offer in Manhattan, and in post #8, you are asking about commuting from Astoria OR Forest Hills to Northport??

Also, no one can answer your question without a budget, and not wanting to give one makes no sense. Do you have $800 a month to spend on an apartment, or do you have $8000? Believe it or not, there are rentals available at each end. It's not a crazy thing to be asking. Or knowing your personal preferences. Can you commute from Northport to Manhattan? Sure, people do it every day. Is it ideal? Not to me. But commuting to Manhattan would never be an ideal scenario to me. Others can commute from even farther east and make it work. Without knowing what your current setup is, no one can tell you whether you are in for a helluva shock or you might be taking a step up in life or it's a wash. Too little info.

Sorry for the confusion. My husband has a job offer in Manhattan, and I have job offers in both Northport and East Meadow. So we are trying to figure out where we would live if I accepted either of these offers. We are hoping to live somewhere that is subway or LIIR (preferably subway) accessible to Manhattan and within 1 hour driving distance of Northport or East Meadow. It seems like there are plenty of neighborhoods (like Astoria) that are subway accessible to Manhattan but not too far from East Meadow. But it seems like there are very few options that would be a decent drive to Northport. I was considering Bayside queens but I see that there is only LIIR there and it still isn't very close to Northport. Ideally, neither one of us want to have a commute longer than an hour.

With respect to budget, we currently pay about $4300 and would be willing to go up to $5000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island