Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 07:06 PM

418 posts, read 1,070,112 times

Advertisements

If the house has central air, you can save a significant amount of money doing this insulation by going though LIPA's "Home Performance Direct" program. CAC is a requirement.

You can get about 30-35% discount on insulation through LIPA and NY state funded grants. To take advantage of these, just schedule a free comprehensive audit that will take a couple of hours and will quantify any insulation issues in the house. You will be given a proposed plan for correcting any insulation problems, and estimates. At that point, you have some freedom in choosing a contractor, and getting the approx. 30% discount.

If the central air unit is too old and you want to upgrade - the rebate is $1000 from LIPa.

If you do not have central air, this particular program does not apply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 07:33 PM

827 posts, read 3,095,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I had Delfino a few years ago and while they did an OK job they had an "out" which really is legit. If they blew the insulation in and hit a cat it would have meant a ton of holes in my case in the ceiling and I had only recently painted. The job in essence was OK for what I allowed them to do but it was not all that much help in our situation.
I'm unsure what you mean when you say, "if they blew the insulation in and hit a cat it would have meant a ton of holes in my case in the ceiling". I'm not sure what you mean by the word "cat". Did they end up doing any insulation in your ceiling and walls or just ceiling? If so, was it batting? I'm looking for batting in my attic.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:41 PM

827 posts, read 3,095,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011littlehouse View Post
If the house has central air, you can save a significant amount of money doing this insulation by going though LIPA's "Home Performance Direct" program. CAC is a requirement.

You can get about 30-35% discount on insulation through LIPA and NY state funded grants. To take advantage of these, just schedule a free comprehensive audit that will take a couple of hours and will quantify any insulation issues in the house. You will be given a proposed plan for correcting any insulation problems, and estimates. At that point, you have some freedom in choosing a contractor, and getting the approx. 30% discount.

If the central air unit is too old and you want to upgrade - the rebate is $1000 from LIPa.

If you do not have central air, this particular program does not apply.
I had that audit done last November. Yes, I do have CAC. We had it installed a few months prior and retired the old compressor b/c it wasn't sufficient for the house.

When I had the audit done, the company I had here was adamant about installing blown in to my attic which I am not a fan of. To do the batting they wanted almost $8k between everything with the air seallng, etc. and go figure, they didn't recommend anything extra in my extended room which REALLY has the problem. I've been told that in order to get the LIPA money towards it I have to do EVERYTHING they require. I've also been told that the boxes that they use for the highhats is not meant to be used with batting but I would be required to use those boxes anyway. I don't use CFL bulbs b/c I am a migraine sufferer and if you put a regular bulb in, it gets too hot and can burn everything up. I basically couldn't afford to even do everything LIPA required with the batting...since I'd have to pay like $4k out of pocket so I'd much rather right now concentrate on my extension and then take care of the rest of my house with insulation later on down the road. My main concentration is my extension b/c of wanting to have another child and that would have to be the bedroom for them.

Thanks for the recommendation about the LIPA program. My parents used it when it first came out and they are disappointed by the blown in cellulose in their attic b/c they can't access anything b/c this was before a cat walk was required. They now have issues with bugs and exterminators have gone up there and told them they cannot do anything for them b/c they can't see anything with the mounds of insulation. I've been told it would be like 7 or 8" worth in my attic. I'd rather do the batting or spray foam if I was able to afford it.

Just wondering, after having the LIPA audit and having everything completed, do you notice a difference in the warmth in your home? Since I had the audit done they lowered the cost they give towards it.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:20 PM

418 posts, read 1,070,112 times
Interesting - I was told that I can do any portion of the recommendations and get the benefits.
The CAC is quite new and efficient. I have not done the recommendations for insulation - looking into things that I can do myself; did not like the particular company that did the audit. You may be right that they overprice things (I have no basis for comparison).
Besides, I have not spent a winter in this house yet to know if there are any serious insulation issues. Will see.

Old 12-25-2012, 08:44 PM

6 posts, read 8,603 times
I used JC Homecare more than once. They are awesome, have been around for a lot of years, and have a great staff.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:40 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,544,771 times
Delfino

Old 02-17-2013, 09:36 AM

JC Homecare did an awesome job for me. Reasonably priced and these guys know what they are doing!

Old 02-17-2013, 09:40 AM

JC Homecare like someone said did an awesome job for me!!! They know their stuff.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:55 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,408,508 times
I used JC twice...first house they did great job...second...they didn't put ANY insulation under the plywoodfloor in walk in attic like they promised, and went thin in places they thought I wouldn't check. They did come back and make it right, but I noticed they weren't as thorough as they used to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island