Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 09:13 AM

827 posts, read 3,096,703 times

Advertisements

I have an extension on my house which I am in need of adding insulation to the crawl space, walls and ceiling. I had an estimate come in from Econo Therm yesterday and I seem to like them but would really like to get some other estimates so I can compare prices. I am looking for estimates for spray foam, batting and blown in for the walls and ceiling. I'd appreciate if anyone can recommend a company that they used for these items. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 08:44 AM

Nobody has anything to add? LOL. I know there have been other posts in the past about this but I wanted to get a more updated approach on it.

I called Delfino in for an estimate which they are coming next week to do. Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about Delfino or Econotherm or any other companies that do this type of work? I'm looking to spray foam my crawlspace and do the blown in wall insulation and blown in insulation for the attic on my extension. I know Econotherm blows the insulation through the wall from outside which would mean they remove my asbestos shingle and then put it back on when they are done. I'm not quite sure how Delfino does that work...whether they do it from inside walls or outside walls. I would really like to hear if anyone has anything good or bad to say about either of these companies and also if they have noticed a big difference in the way their home feels after the insulation was complete. Thank you.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:38 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,412,424 times
JC insulation. Used them twice for blown in. Very good....only issue is you need to haggle price with salesman.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:30 PM

456 posts, read 1,429,533 times
Delfino insulated my house and addition. Great price, great job. We used the standard fiberglass, though.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:02 PM

Thank you both for your replies. I really appreciate it. I believe I met with JC back when I owned my condo. I will call them again. I forgot about them. Thanks so much for the reply!

Old 09-07-2012, 08:07 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,350,147 times
Delfino did my house, but it was basically new construction situation, all the walls were open. We had them do batts for most of the house and spray foam over the garage and the cantileaver in the back. I think they did a good job, were pretty quick

we also had Cary insulation quote the job. The guy seemed knowledgeable. For what we wanted they were slightly higher, but bsaically I would have been happy with them doing the job as well.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk327 View Post
Delfino did my house, but it was basically new construction situation, all the walls were open. We had them do batts for most of the house and spray foam over the garage and the cantileaver in the back. I think they did a good job, were pretty quick

we also had Cary insulation quote the job. The guy seemed knowledgeable. For what we wanted they were slightly higher, but bsaically I would have been happy with them doing the job as well.
I'm just wondering, with the spray foam over the garage, can you feel a significant difference? I'm hoping if we spray foam the crawlspace ceiling (the flooring to the extension), we will not get a cold floor anymore.

I hadn't heard of Cary Insulation. I will call them too. Thanks. Someone told me that Delfino doesn't do such a great clean job so that's why I was inquiring about them. The source who told me this is not a trusted source for me and that's why I needed other opinions. Thank you for the info.

Old 09-07-2012, 02:02 PM

6,385 posts, read 13,170,205 times
At the least I would put in batt insulation, if you cannot afford sprayed foam.

Ever open up your ceiling with loose fill insulation?

It sucks!

Old 09-07-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
At the least I would put in batt insulation, if you cannot afford sprayed foam.

Ever open up your ceiling with loose fill insulation?

It sucks!
I have batting insulation in the crawl now and it's falling out between the floor joists. However, I was referred to do the spray foam b/c of all the added benefits. I thought about doing the batt insulation again but if it's going to fall out then I find that to be a problem and at least with the spray foam, I believe it will air seal everything so we won't get too much of a draft. I would never do any loose fill anywhere aside from my walls. I'm not a fan of the blown in cellulose b/c my parents had it done and they can't even walk in their attic. So not a fan personally.

Old 09-07-2012, 05:12 PM

13,059 posts, read 18,149,829 times
I had Delfino a few years ago and while they did an OK job they had an "out" which really is legit. If they blew the insulation in and hit a cat it would have meant a ton of holes in my case in the ceiling and I had only recently painted. The job in essence was OK for what I allowed them to do but it was not all that much help in our situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island