Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 06:31 PM

418 posts, read 1,069,929 times

Advertisements

Don't have impatiens, but mildew (powdery mildew) attacked the phlox - it still bloomed nicely, but the leaves and stems are all covered in white mildew. Tried using some organic fungicide - not much success. Cut down one of them, it came out back nice and green but soon the mildew took over again .

This high humidity is unpleasant and unhealthy...

Have to mention again the slugs that I believe are responsible for the holes in my hostas. BTW, Budweiser worked like a charm to get them drunk, leading to their demise... I suspect more are out there though.

Wonder if part of the reason is the frequent irrigation (these sprinklers go on too often but have not looked into re-programming them) on top of the rain. On the bright side, the lawn looks fantastic - I think even a proper Englishman would be impressed. Sometimes, I just walk barefoot (maybe not the smartest thing), but feels like a nice carpet.

The best thing in the garden here is the hibiscus tree (Rose of Sharon) in the backyard - absolutely gorgeous, has been blooming tirelessly through the summer and is a real mood-booster each morning - filling the view from my kitchen window, brightening up the patio... I think, I will look into planting a couple of more. The rabbits love eating the fallen blooms.

Last edited by 2011littlehouse; 09-11-2012 at 06:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 07:38 PM

703 posts, read 1,173,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarag View Post
The article said that the island may not have Impatients for a few years to come.
I planted both impatiens and vinca (the annual, not the perennial groundcover) this year and the impatients that are still alive look terrible but the vinca looks amazing. So if you are looking for a replacement next year, give it a try!

Old 09-12-2012, 06:00 AM

638 posts, read 1,281,995 times
I, like an idiot, kept replanting impatiens all summer long!! Thank you for getting the word out about the island-wide impatiens demise!!

Old 09-12-2012, 06:44 AM

1,726 posts, read 4,037,516 times
Mine died out soon after planting, as least now I know what the problem was.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:56 AM

245 posts, read 495,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyLI View Post
I planted both impatiens and vinca (the annual, not the perennial groundcover) this year and the impatients that are still alive look terrible but the vinca looks amazing. So if you are looking for a replacement next year, give it a try!
I bought one flat of vinca but couldn't remember there name so thanks . The vinca are easy care like impatiens which I love the easier the better.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:37 AM

5,517 posts, read 7,107,963 times
Stick with begonias they do so much better. I ripped out my impatients in July as well.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:05 PM

734 posts, read 1,636,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyLI View Post
I spent so much money on my impatiens this year. All of them died. My entire flower bed plus a few hundred dollars in hanging baskets. All strains died. I have alot of shade in the front so I use them every year. I was told of the mold and had to dispose of them but the ones I missed literally just disappeared. Vaporized!
My sister in Jersey also lost all hers and she plants hundreds of flats all around her property and her husband replaced them with Vinca and they thrived and look great. I wasn't willing to put any more money or time into it after my loss.
It was a flowerless summer here. Sad.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:12 AM

703 posts, read 1,173,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarag View Post
I bought one flat of vinca but couldn't remember there name so thanks . The vinca are easy care like impatiens which I love the easier the better.
so true, I bought just a few and they are huge, even the ones that I planted in a dry patch at the base of a tree that blocks the sprinkler. I will be buying a few flats next year.

Old 09-30-2012, 03:59 PM

1 posts, read 685 times
Default Impatiens downy mildew

Impatiens will soon be a plant of the past, due to infection by Impatiens Downy Mildew. New Guinea impatiens are immune to this disease. Do not plant impatiens in the coming years until the growing industry breeds resistent varieties. The disease has been found in most states and is spreading fast.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:39 PM

734 posts, read 1,636,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captbob!1 View Post
Impatiens will soon be a plant of the past, due to infection by Impatiens Downy Mildew. New Guinea impatiens are immune to this disease. Do not plant impatiens in the coming years until the growing industry breeds resistent varieties. The disease has been found in most states and is spreading fast.
I beg to differ. My New Guinea impatiens also died, bit by bit. A few other baskets of other types of flowers also died in the same manner. I lost ALL my plants! Except my ferns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island